Image: Another look at 3rd and goal

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Interesting scenario. Usually I say take the points, but I think I would want Jimmy to gamble for the TD and I think he would. We already had a 4 point lead so a FG couldn’t tie or beat us, we had Emmitt and that line, and we had a good defense that would be starting the drive with the Niners in terrible field position.

That said, it is fascinating to see Cowboy’s fans indicating to move on from a bad call which benefited the Cowboys yet still can’t get over a call from 2014 which hurt the Cowboys. I am going to get my popcorn and enjoy the show for a bit.

:popcorn:

Flamma

Reaction score
After watching the 1992 NFC Championship game again I have to say that KMart didn't score. I suspected it back then but after slowing it down we can tell he didn't score. It was very close. We all know there wasn't Instant Reply back during this crucial game. But what if there was? It would be 4th and inches with over 3 minutes left to play in a 24 to 20 game. Does Jimmy "The River Boat Gambler" go for it to seal it once and for all or does he kick a FG making it 27-20 with a lot of time left? Since it was counted as a TD that last SF drive was in desperation because they needed two scores. If Jimmy kicks a FG then it's a one possession game and SF can call their plays a lot different. Things could've turned out a lot different if there was Instant Replay.

233262624_4247066632042514_1506071566358473906_n.jpg

Find the full game on you tube. It's a 2:10:55 video. Go to the 1:57:50 mark and pause it. But the money shot is towards the back end of the 50 second mark. Like right before it changes to 51. You'll see he has the ball about an inch over the goal line. Once he hits the ground the ball is no longer over.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Jimmy goes for it anyway. Emmitt walks in. Gameover again.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Find the full game on you tube. It's a 2:10:55 video. Go to the 1:57:50 mark and pause it. But the money shot is towards the back end of the 50 second mark. Like right before it changes to 51. You'll see he has the ball about an inch over the goal line. Once he hits the ground the ball is no longer over.

Correct. My original response to OP was going to reflect this. The fact that the game is over 30 years old made me lazy to research it.

KMart extended and kind of "accordioned" back post breaking the plane bracing for a potential h2h collision.

I know what I saw.

We won by 10 on the road in the most hostile of conditions. The biggest swing play in the game was the holding call early, but the Cowboys shed their sea legs by the 2nd Q and dominated.

And the 93 NFC Championship game affirmed any "if and buts" anyone had about which team was better.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score

I did all that. That's how I got this picture. His knee is down and not even his hand isn't even touching the plane much less the ball. The very next frame the ball touches the plane. That's how close it was. IR officials have video editing software just like I do, even better, so they could slow the video down frame by frame and they could see he was inches short. It's so close the play might stand since it was called a TD. The point of this post was to see what you guys think Jimmy does on 4th and inches at the goaline. The drive before at the 7 yard line he goes for it on 4th and inches and we fail to convert it. SF then went on a 93 yard drive in less than a minute to make it 24-20 with a lot of time left. If we had Tom Brady we do a QB sneak and game over but that wasn't our thing. It's an interesting situation either way. That's why I was asking you guys.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Jimmy goes for it anyway. Emmitt walks in. Gameover again.

Thanks for understanding my post. Either scenario is not an easy one. Your choice isn't a gimme. The drive before on the 7 yard line Jimmy goes for it on 4th and inches. Emmitt doesn't even get back to line of scrimmage because they don't even measure it. SF scores a TD less than a minute in a 93 yard drive.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
And the 93 NFC Championship game affirmed any "if and buts" anyone had about which team was better.

No doubt!

I like different scenarios because history has been made already and no matter how we look at it that history remains. Let me give you another one. What if Eric Davis takes that dangerous Bernie Kosar pass the other way for a pick-6? 1:24:33 mark of this video. The score is now 28-21 and it's totally different game. But if Troy doesn't get hurt we win it even more lopsided. And if Troy doesn't get hurt even the SB is more lopsided than the final score of 30-13. His head still wasn't fully cleared playing in that game. Thank God we had Emmitt.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
His knee was down BEFORE the ball breaks the plane, as seen on that pic I posted. It gets overturned if there was IR. I have several 49er fans on my wife's side and they all say they got robbed of that call.
Thats fine that his knee was down before breaking the plane because he wasnt touched till after he broke the plane end of story.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I did all that. That's how I got this picture. His knee is down and not even his hand isn't even touching the plane much less the ball. The very next frame the ball touches the plane. That's how close it was. IR officials have video editing software just like I do, even better, so they could slow the video down frame by frame and they could see he was inches short. It's so close the play might stand since it was called a TD. The point of this post was to see what you guys think Jimmy does on 4th and inches at the goaline. The drive before at the 7 yard line he goes for it on 4th and inches and we fail to convert it. SF then went on a 93 yard drive in less than a minute to make it 24-20 with a lot of time left. If we had Tom Brady we do a QB sneak and game over but that wasn't our thing. It's an interesting situation either way. That's why I was asking you guys.

Wasn't touched till after ball breaks goaline, easy touchdown call and thread closer.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Cowboys would have gone for it.

with their OL and Emmitt. 90% chance they get it.

if they don’t. Niners have the ball on the one inch line against that cowboys defense? Good luck driving 99 yards for the TD.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
After watching the 1992 NFC Championship game again I have to say that KMart didn't score. I suspected it back then but after slowing it down we can tell he didn't score. It was very close. We all know there wasn't Instant Reply back during this crucial game. But what if there was? It would be 4th and inches with over 3 minutes left to play in a 24 to 20 game. Does Jimmy "The River Boat Gambler" go for it to seal it once and for all or does he kick a FG making it 27-20 with a lot of time left? Since it was counted as a TD that last SF drive was in desperation because they needed two scores. If Jimmy kicks a FG then it's a one possession game and SF can call their plays a lot different. Things could've turned out a lot different if there was Instant Replay.

Should have been overturned, but the Cowboys would have punched it in on 4th & inches at the goal line anyhow with the Oline we had, plus Moose lead blocking for Emmitt. Plus, Emmitt was good and willing to jump over the pile at the goal line to get into the endzone when needed, unlike Zeke (I wish Zeke would grow a pair and start doing the same...don't be scared...the RB Greats like Emmitt and Walter did it).

I'm all for following the rules and playing fairly, thus have no problem if the call was overturned due to instant replay.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
not enough evidence to overturn even with new re[lay rules and better cameras..

want to nit pick what are you a 49er fan? lets go see the steeler cowboys sbs wit those 2 plays that most like would not have been allowed that turned those games in PBs favor..we got robbed at least 1

how about the dez catch no catch controversy may have led to win in 2014 and changed Garrets, romos, wittens,and dez career outlook..

stuff happens et it be

im sure raiders fans are still upset over the snow game the pats got that break that changed the empty hand rule that would have today gave the raisders a afccg win..imagine how that would have changed history?

stuff happens.
This place is trending to troll city . I don’t know what’s happening but it’s beyond anything I’ve experienced

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Do you realize how many games would’ve changed. Throughout the years. Hey what’s your point

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Wasn't touched till after ball breaks goaline, easy touchdown call and thread closer.

You know I didn't think about that. I put it on slow motion again and #28 hits the side of his helmet right before the ball breaks the plane, but it's so close even with IR I don't think they overturn it since it was called a TD and you can't see the tip of the ball. Good call. ;)

234754563_1633409293716265_4826364405744997905_n.jpg

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Cowboys would have punched it in on 4th & inches at the goal line anyhow with the Oline we had, plus Moose lead blocking for Emmitt. Plus, Emmitt was good and willing to jump over the pile at the goal line to get into the endzone when neede

Cowboys would have gone for it.

with their OL and Emmitt. 90% chance they get it.

if they don’t. Niners have the ball on the one inch line against that cowboys defense? Good luck driving 99 yards for the TD.

Even though Jimmy gambled and failed on the possession before when it was 4th and inches, I do too think he goes for it again. He had too much confident in that OLine and Emmitt for the 49ers to stop them TWICE.

Last edited:

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Do you realize how many games would’ve changed. Throughout the years. Hey what’s your point

If you don't understand then you didn't read ALL my initial comment. It's very simple. And it's not a point, it was a question. Others here have answered it so don't worry about it.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
You know I didn't think about that. I put it on slow motion again and #28 hits the side of his helmet right before the ball breaks the plane, but it's so close even with IR I don't think they overturn it since it was called a TD and you can't see the tip of the ball. Good call. ;)

234754563_1633409293716265_4826364405744997905_n.jpg
If you really take an even closer look at it the guy doesnt even touch him till later after the ball crosses because his hand doesn't show any restriction/movement from touching him till after he breaks the plain. At the very end you can see the hand give way to touching him. Also if your still not so sure go back to original time of play and slow motion. #28 doesnt touch him till he's fully grounded.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Correct. My original response to OP was going to reflect this. The fact that the game is over 30 years old made me lazy to research it.

KMart extended and kind of "accordioned" back post breaking the plane bracing for a potential h2h collision.

I know what I saw.

We won by 10 on the road in the most hostile of conditions. The biggest swing play in the game was the holding call early, but the Cowboys shed their sea legs by the 2nd Q and dominated.

In my opinion the back breaker for the 49ers was the Waters fumble. The 9ers were starting to take control of the game. Had the lead and were moving. All turnovers and penalties matter. I just think that was the turning point.

As far as the Kmart play is concerned, I agree with your assessment. But before he does that he is over the line. You can see it in the video. But I can't see where his knee is. Either way, I don't think it gets overturned either way.