BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apple makes a quality product.
Apple tries to protect its product.

No problem with that

Recently was given a macbook pro and an ipad.
Trying to reset both to factory setting.
Just can not see to get it to work without having the password of the person that owned each items before me.

Which you can understand is a way to protect a user and a product from someone stealing the items and reformatting them,

However the problem comes into play when you receive the items because someone has passed away. Which is what has happened in my case.
In law passed away in manner that was unforeseen. So nobody knew the passwords and she never thought to leave them for anyone.

So I have tried all I can find on youtube and so on. With android or a windows based machine I could make it work. Apple I am not making it work and I am not that savy with apple products to start with. Last Apple item I owned was an Iphone four.

So now I am going to have to take the items somewhere and get them worked on. The macbook pro is only a couple years old and in good condition as is the ipad.

Ok...sorry for the rant

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have had nothing but problems with the Apple products I have purchased and the ear pods are a joke.

Jobs was a different kind of cat but it was his obsession with the product not the profit that built that company.

But every time I mention switching from an iPhone to an Android, I hear of all the problems people have with them.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The last (and only) Apple product I ever owned was an iPhone 6. I installed a flash cards program onto it that I had been using on my Android that helps me to study foreign languages. It was free for Android, but it cost $32 for the iPhone version. No biggie. It was worth the money. However, once I got it installed and had downloaded all my cards and sound files, I noticed it would not play the sound for most of my cards. Turn out, that was because most of the sound files were OGG files. I prefer the open source OGG files to MP3s for many reasons. I thought it was no biggie; I could just download whichever Apple module allows for the playing of OGG files. Even if I had to pay another 32 bucks or so, it would be worth it. Turns out, it was IMPOSSIBLE to play an OGG file on an iPhone, or at least it was at the time. I could have converted all those OGGs to MP3s on my computer. There were about 7 thousand of them, but it could be done. However, then I would have needed to re-associate every single one of those files to play the MP3 rather than the OGG. There may have been some way to write some kind of find and replace program to go in and do that on my computer, but it would have been a huge project. The other option was to just buy another Android. It was easier, and was better use of my time, to do that.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Feel you on that. I've never been a big fan. I've owned a couple iPhones in my day, and they're a solid device, but I'm just not a huge fan of their proprietary ecosystem. Also, I can't stand iTunes. lol

Admittedly, I just got a new phone yesterday (Samsung S23 Ultra - loving it so far) and for a split second I looked at iPhones, just to mix it up, and then I quickly snapped back into reality remembering why I should stick with Android.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feel you on that. I've never been a big fan. I've owned a couple iPhones in my day, and they're a solid device, but I'm just not a huge fan of their proprietary ecosystem. Also, I can't stand iTunes. lol

Admittedly, I just got a new phone yesterday (Samsung S23 Ultra - loving it so far) and for a split second I looked at iPhones, just to mix it up, and then I quickly snapped back into reality remembering why I should stick with Android.
Oddly enough samsung is making me mad as well.
They got rid of the note phone, go rid of the headphone jack but the one thing that makes me mad is they got rid of the micro sd card slot.

My note20 ultra might be the last top end samsung model that has micro sd card.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Oddly enough samsung is making me mad as well.
They got rid of the note phone, go rid of the headphone jack but the one thing that makes me mad is they got rid of the micro sd card slot.

My note20 ultra might be the last top end samsung model that has micro sd card.
Yeah, now that you mention it, this phone doesn't have any of that. Luckily I've been aboard the wireless headset train for awhile, but I can see why some people would still want the connection. Heck, I still have wired headphones floating around here. I was surprised at how minimalist the packaging was. A phone and a charging cable. That was it.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, now that you mention it, this phone doesn't have any of that. Luckily I've been aboard the wireless headset train for awhile, but I can see why some people would still want the connection. Heck, I still have wired headphones floating around here. I was surprised at how minimalist the packaging was. A phone and a charging cable. That was it.
I found a dongle to fit the headphones. I have tried multiple wireless head phones and just do not care for them.

And you are right about the packaging. If you buy the phone and the phone is fast charging but they do not give you a fast charging brick/plug...why? Hell they used to add the plug, the cord, the phone and decent headphones.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I have had nothing but problems with the Apple products I have purchased and the ear pods are a joke.

Jobs was a different kind of cat but it was his obsession with the product not the profit that built that company.

But every time I mention switching from an iPhone to an Android, I hear of all the problems people have with them.
Meh, he was interested in money. He may have liked the product-side but no way he didn't have an eye on the dollar. He was generally a fool, but knew the tech and had a vision. I don't suspect him still being alive and leading Apple would have made a single bit of difference for this situation.

I have really only used Apple products for about 20 years and I don't have problems. iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc. I never use their base model headphones because they are not comfortable at all and never have been for me.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Similar problem after my mom passed, and we gave her iPhone to my daughter. They would play games like sudoku on it together, so we wanted her to have it. She could use it without issue. Just had an annoyance related to the Apple ID and no one knew the password. Tried contacting Apple to explain what was going on. No matter how many times I explained my mother had passed away they kept insisting we needed to get her to provide the password. Finally gave up.

John813

Reaction score
It's good and bad.
For your case, it's unfortunate.

I switched back to IPhone after Samsung became Apple-lite and the note at the time disappeared.
Can't say I'll stick with apple in the future, but the battery has been worlds better, even after a year + of ownership.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Similar problem after my mom passed, and we gave her iPhone to my daughter. They would play games like sudoku on it together, so we wanted her to have it. She could use it without issue. Just had an annoyance related to the Apple ID and no one knew the password. Tried contacting Apple to explain what was going on. No matter how many times I explained my mother had passed away they kept insisting we needed to get her to provide the password. Finally gave up.
They might have had people try to pull one on them in the past using that very reason to get in the phone.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
They might have had people try to pull one on them in the past using that very reason to get in the phone.
Oh, I am sure. There should be a mechanism to allow access, such as providing documentation like a death certificate—just my opinion.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Oh, I am sure. There should be a mechanism to allow access, such as providing documentation like a death certificate—just my opinion.
I use a password manager with a 2 week kill switch. If I die, my wife can request the password, and if I don’t click a link in two weeks, she gets access. Works well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That should be acceptable because it is mostly descendants that need to have access.

That was all I needed for the email people for my Mom’s email, which proved to be invaluable in contacting her friends.

Creeper

Reaction score
Whenever I have to visit an Apple store I bring a cyanide pill with me. Apple Genius Bars are magnets for pompous blowhards. The Entire Apple service process was invented by someone who never had a problem with an Apple device.

Hardline

Reaction score
Last Apple product I bought was an IPod classic 10 years ago.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The Apple iPhone is by far, the best in the world what with its leading edge technology and how it integrates with the entire Apple ecosystem.