Another reason Apple annoys me

T-RO

Reaction score
Apple makes a quality product.
Apple tries to protect its product.

No problem with that

Recently was given a macbook pro and an ipad.
Trying to reset both to factory setting.
Just can not see to get it to work without having the password of the person that owned each items before me.

Which you can understand is a way to protect a user and a product from someone stealing the items and reformatting them,

However the problem comes into play when you receive the items because someone has passed away. Which is what has happened in my case.
In law passed away in manner that was unforeseen. So nobody knew the passwords and she never thought to leave them for anyone.

So I have tried all I can find on youtube and so on. With android or a windows based machine I could make it work. Apple I am not making it work and I am not that savy with apple products to start with. Last Apple item I owned was an Iphone four.

So now I am going to have to take the items somewhere and get them worked on. The macbook pro is only a couple years old and in good condition as is the ipad.

Ok...sorry for the rant
Sorry for the loss of your loved one.

I would go to an Apple Store. If not that...

These links might help as there are several approaches:

Creating bootable startup disk to do fresh install
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Work with a friend who has a Mac
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/transfer-files-mac-computers-target-disk-mode-mchlp1443/mac

As for the iPad...I haven't a clue.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I bought an IPhone when it first came out and then went through all the competitors - Windows Nokia, Samsung Android, Blackberry - only to come back to IPhone. Just a good phone. Have no need to try anything else. Ipad is my favorite tablet although I’m tempted to try those Surfaces. Never bought a MacBook though, still go with Windows PCs. It may have changed, but I used to be proud that Apple was one of the last companies to break some of the privacy boundaries that everyone else decided were not an issue. It’s a no-win battle, and lately Apple has been accused of side-stepping it, but this grumpy old fart was taking a stand before we all turn into walking advertisements with everything about us searchable.