Another year of scrub free agents

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Talking about knowing NOTHING bud the reason were in Cap HELL is exactly all the Re-structured deals that have now caught up with us....now chicken that bud!

Cap hell?

Right. A team in cap hell would have zero chance of re-signing top guys like Martin and Lawrence.

A team in cap hell certainly doesn't keep guys like Crawford around at 7 mill a year. A team in cap hell does pay their kicker and punter a combined 4.5 mill a year.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I think it is just that Stephen Jones is obnoxiously cheap. Listening to him at the combine explain why he though what we did last year wasn't bargain bin shopping solidified that notion for me.

There are contracts that are sure to be restructured procedurally like TFred's. We could leverage a lot more quite easily more and use the savings down the road we get from extending Martin --and not spend it-- to keep us in decent shape. I expect we might spend if Dez, Hitch, or Cooper is not retained but elsewise I see them sticking to Steve-o low risk specials.

I don't know about a lot of cap mismanagement though. The only significant dead money is Romo and he had to end his run short due to injury.

I know a lot of people want to leverage all our assets and spend a lot in FA but I am not a fan of the idea. I want sustained success and leveraging like means you have to blow up your team after a couple of years. Look at Denver.

I do wish they would do surgical strikes like NE, Pitt, and GB is known for doing though.

Most would agree they have not received the desired return on the Tyrone Crawford deal, who doesn't really become a team-friendly release option until 2020. And fair or not, Dez Bryant has come nowhere close to delivering like he's being paid to. Those two alone account for 15% of our 2018 cap. Once Orlando Scandrick is cut/traded it raised the 2018 dead money to $17.6 Million, that's 10% of our cap space tied up on players who are no longer in the building. Which, by the way, will represent the highest total of dead money among all 32 NFL teams.

There's also the slump on FA additions over recent years. They struck out hard on Cedric Thornton, Greg Hardy and Nolan Carroll, the mis-evaluation of Stephen Paea left us scrambling to shuffle and patch our interior line early in the season, and while Brandon Carr's ability to show up and play every week was admirable, he proved to be extremely overpaid. They may unearth a nice bargain every once in a while, but for the most part Dallas has been frustratingly inept in FA player acquisition.

Gameover

Reaction score
Taco, the 2 corners, and Switzer are your FA

You’re going to love the second year leap!

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'd rather pay market-rate contract extensions to guys who've proven they can produce in Dallas, rather than go out in FA bidding wars for guys like Carr who may be a square peg.

If that means our cap dollars go towards keeping Martin, D-Law, and maybe Hitchens and we barrel-scrape for scrubs in FA, then I'd say that's the right approach.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Just under half of the Eagles starters were free agents or acquired via trade.

Limiting yourself to "just build through the draft" is a flawed strategy. Get better by any and all means. The Cowboys "like what they have" while the Eagles saw an opportunity to improve at the deadline and spent a 2018 4th rounder to get Jay Ayaji.

The Cowboys have been atrocious at free agency the last few years. They have also overestimated and overvalued their own talent. Stop making excuses for them.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
No major free agent signings or trades the last few years and dead last in cash spending.

Yep, we can do whatever we want with the salary cap. Whatever we want.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No major free agent signings or trades the last few years and dead last in cash spending.

Yep, we can do whatever we want with the salary cap. Whatever we want.

We can do whatever we want.

Never mind that "whatever" really means protecting a cap cushion that we have created by our own ineptitude.

It is like the fan base actually buys the arrogant comments that Stephen Jones utters.

Of course, anyone can get creative and cook the books. Bravo.

But when it comes down to it, we do not have any flexibility when it comes to live, usable space.

We can't trade for a veteran because, well, the cap.

Can't sign a top free agent, because, well, the cap.

Any move we would make means a lot of shifting.

Of course that means we could. But at the end of the day it just means we won't.

That might make Stephen Jones break a sweat.

Goddellsux

Reaction score
Yeah, Jerrah has not done well in FA when he used to try to make a "slash" as he says, let's just see what he, the Kid, and a bottle of scotch do with the overpriced Dez Mess!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Most would agree they have not received the desired return on the Tyrone Crawford deal, who doesn't really become a team-friendly release option until 2020. And fair or not, Dez Bryant has come nowhere close to delivering like he's being paid to. Those two alone account for 15% of our 2018 cap. Once Orlando Scandrick is cut/traded it raised the 2018 dead money to $17.6 Million, that's 10% of our cap space tied up on players who are no longer in the building. Which, by the way, will represent the highest total of dead money among all 32 NFL teams.

There's also the slump on FA additions over recent years. They struck out hard on Cedric Thornton, Greg Hardy and Nolan Carroll, the mis-evaluation of Stephen Paea left us scrambling to shuffle and patch our interior line early in the season, and while Brandon Carr's ability to show up and play every week was admirable, he proved to be extremely overpaid. They may unearth a nice bargain every once in a while, but for the most part Dallas has been frustratingly inept in FA player acquisition.

Crawford should make a 2 or so mill less than he does. His current salary is not that bad. There is a reason that he is not discussed in the media as a potential cut. Cutting Dez saves us a lot of money because we stopped restructuring him.

The large amount of dead money is mostly Romo, Scandrick, Thornton, and Carroll together don't account for $9 in dead money like he does. No other team has had to cut a $20+m AAV player the past couple of years and it hurts. If not for that then the amount would not be that significant.

Carroll and and Thornton were misevaluations; they were awful. They were also paid less than the average for their positions making them a small risk. Paea got hurt sure but he played well before he retired. He didn't get paid much either. Hardy was paid up front and led to no dead money.

The point I take away is that is better to do VFA overall with the small risk contracts than it is for the Carr's of the world. VFA is never an ideal crop and they are good at drafting.

Also I don't know that we would have the most.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

According to this the Bills have near $19 in dead money after eating Dareus' acceleration.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd rather pay market-rate contract extensions to guys who've proven they can produce in Dallas, rather than go out in FA bidding wars for guys like Carr who may be a square peg.

If that means our cap dollars go towards keeping Martin, D-Law, and maybe Hitchens and we barrel-scrape for scrubs in FA, then I'd say that's the right approach.

And they will always fall just short. You can’t win just drafting alone.

DiResta

Reaction score
Wilkerson, nope

Robert Quinn was traded to the Dolphins for a great deal..

Does Jerrry and Co even try in Free Agency?

It' getting ridiculous
Wilkerson got paid then stopped giving a **** to the point that they cut him
he liked to roll in on his time which Cowboys fans are totally cool with
im sure when he became a cancer you would still support paying him
Quinn has his own problems with missing games plus the biggest need is 1t not de

carry on complaining tho

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Talking about knowing NOTHING bud the reason were in Cap HELL is exactly all the Re-structured deals that have now caught up with us....now chicken that bud!
You are wrong and he is correct.

At least try to look around to see which posters have studied the cap over the years. You are unlikely to find one that believes the Cowboys are in cap hell.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wilkerson, nope

It' getting ridiculous
Yes, the whining will continue for another year...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wilkerson, nope

It' getting ridiculous

We need trunk monkeys to deal with bad threads.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Clearly you don't know what the word "averaging" means.

2015 - 5 sacks
2016 - 4 sacks
2017 - 8.5 sacks
3 year total - 17.5; average per year = 5.833 sacks

JJ Watt is averaging 6 sacks a year over the past 3 years too. So are you saying Quinn is JJ Watt caliber? Not bad.

2015 - 17.5 sacks
2016 - 1.5 sacks
2017 - 0 sacks
3 year total - 19; average per year = 6.333 sacks

doomgazer

Reaction score
JJ Watt is averaging 6 sacks a year over the past 3 years too. So are you saying Quinn is JJ Watt caliber? Not bad.

2015 - 17.5 sacks
2016 - 1.5 sacks
2017 - 0 sacks
3 year total - 19; average per year = 6.333 sacks

In terms of pure averages (and no other metric, statistic, etc), yes. I really wasn't stating anything other than the fact that the word AVERAGE clearly didn't mean what Mobinvans thought it did. When you call someone else out for being "deliberately dishonest" at least make sure you understand the definition of the word you are taking issue with.