Another year of scrub free agents

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Your either being deliberantly dishonest with that post or you didnt know he was hurt.

Last year he got 8.5 sacks dude
Im talking about his production over the last 3 years. People have been propping him up as an alternative to Lawrence. Lawrence has has averaged 8 sacks a year the last 3 years to Quinns 6.

Dre11

Reaction score
In a 3-4 scheme that doesn't suit him. He is a 10+ sack guy when playing all 16 games 100% healthy in a 4-3 defense.

Lol, this the same ik from the ranch, that claimed the 3-4 didn't suit Quinn, but want to draft Watt in a 4-3...lol

DHCBF66

Reaction score
There's no Cap MONEY ....zilch as our GM with his mishandling of our cap and restructuring contracts can only afford D- Class Free agents!
Close to $18 million in cap space as of right now is "zilch" cap space? We can clear close to $30 million in just a couple minutes if need be.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The cap is not why we aren't active. We can make a ton of cap room with a few wiggles of a pen. As of right now we are almost 18m under the cap. We can effectively triple the cap space if we wanted to with some cuts and some contract revisions.

Guys are complaining already about free agency, but none of these moves have a thing to do with free agency. True free agency hasn't started yet. There are a few guys that you could sign right now but in general free agency is still ahead. The likelihood is that we will make a couple moves in free agency but nothing of the splash variety.

As far as trades, the Quinn deal certainly would be one that would have been worth looking into. Of course, we have no idea whether we ever did or if the Rams even shopped him to us. Easy to complain but without knowing the facts it is just kind of a pointless exercise. Quinn's cap hit is over 12m, and the guy has had trouble staying on the field for three years in a row. Would it be worth giving him that money....AND giving up multiple draft picks, for a guy that might be a part time player? It really is the kind of deal that most people would complain about Dallas doing unless he plays every game and gets close to a sack per.

Verdict

Reaction score
There's no Cap MONEY ....zilch as our GM with his mishandling of our cap and restructuring contracts can only afford D- Class Free agents!

Dez and Witten are sucking the cap life out of this team. Direct some of that ire in their direction. They both deserve it

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Wilkerson, nope

Robert Quinn was traded to the Dolphins for a great deal..

Does Jerrry and Co even try in Free Agency?

It' getting ridiculous
The Herschel Walker days are long gone bruh.

Jerry & Co. are swimming in FA like a clown trying to chase Michael Phelps.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry and co usually get owned when they try and trade, careful what you wish for.

Unfortunately I think they are scared of trading and free agency because they’ve sucked so bad at both. Instead of improving in these areas they just avoid them.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Get me Poe or Daquan jones and maybe bowman as a replacement for Durant and i think the boys will be better on D

visionary

Reaction score
Wilkerson, nope

It' getting ridiculous

Jerry and Stephen know the blind fans will keep turning up and lapping up there idiocy so they spout some cliches and go about scheduling non football events and spend their time trying to get other events like the NFL draft

Just the NFL draft being in dallas will make Jerry more money than winning a SB would

He's not wasting his time on trying to win anything

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Close to $18 million in cap space as of right now is "zilch" cap space? We can clear close to $30 million in just a couple minutes if need be.

Tagging Lawrence will eat up $17 million immediately, bringing us to $1 million in cap space.

The team will have to restructure contracts just to allow us to sign our draft picks and retain some of our own FAs. Being that our starting QB makes under a million per year, it's quite unfortunate that we won't be able to take advantage of his low paying rookie contract thanks to cap mismanagement by the FO.

But, we can do whatever we want in FA... except we actually can't. Which is why the team hasn't signed anyone in FA of note since Brandon Carr.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If we resign Cooper and Hitch, Irving, and DLaw as well as extend ZMart I could care less. Draft well and play out the year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wilkerson, nope

It' getting ridiculous

Wait, explain to me this thing called a "trade". How does that work?

Signed,

Stephen Jones

jay94

Reaction score
We have enough talent to sneak into the playoffs, no need to try and get better.

basstapp

Reaction score
Im not disappointed in grabbing either of those players. Wilkerson is a headcase and quinn has been injury prone. Not sure how we haven't been active when free agency hasnt started...

Sydla

Reaction score
So you wanna trade for a DE with an expensive contract that’s sitting on the Bench injured more then he actually plays?

I think the larger point is we are seeing teams use trades now to improve and we sit on our thumbs twirling. So we don't do trades. We don't do FA anymore.

Basically, let's just hope our draft picks turn into immediate studs. That's a flawed plan.

And only using the draft to build a team has another problem. That takes time. And we are staring down the possibility of having to hand off big contracts to guys like Prescott in the coming years. So now is the time to use that salary flexibility.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Tagging Lawrence will eat up $17 million immediately, bringing us to $1 million in cap space.

The team will have to restructure contracts just to allow us to sign our draft picks and retain some of our own FAs. Being that our starting QB makes under a million per year, it's quite unfortunate that we won't be able to take advantage of his low paying rookie contract thanks to cap mismanagement by the FO.

But, we can do whatever we want in FA... except we actually can't. Which is why the team hasn't signed anyone in FA of note since Brandon Carr.

I think it is just that Stephen Jones is obnoxiously cheap. Listening to him at the combine explain why he though what we did last year wasn't bargain bin shopping solidified that notion for me.

There are contracts that are sure to be restructured procedurally like TFred's. We could leverage a lot more quite easily more and use the savings down the road we get from extending Martin --and not spend it-- to keep us in decent shape. I expect we might spend if Dez, Hitch, or Cooper is not retained but elsewise I see them sticking to Steve-o low risk specials.

I don't know about a lot of cap mismanagement though. The only significant dead money is Romo and he had to end his run short due to injury.

I know a lot of people want to leverage all our assets and spend a lot in FA but I am not a fan of the idea. I want sustained success and leveraging like means you have to blow up your team after a couple of years. Look at Denver.

I do wish they would do surgical strikes like NE, Pitt, and GB is known for doing though.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Clearly you don't know what the word "averaging" means.

2015 - 5 sacks
2016 - 4 sacks
2017 - 8.5 sacks
3 year total - 17.5; average per year = 5.833 sacks
Can you provide some context to that. Numbers may be correct but how many games did he play and in what scheme?
Edit. I just saw a post clarifying my questions...