Anthony Spencer VS Jarvis Moss in 2007

neosapien23

Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy;1484487 said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Spencer, but if he were that good....he wouldn't have been picked at 26.

Teams do not draft BPA no matter what they say. Most of the time, they draft to feel needs with BPA. Quinn was a much better player in this draft than 22 but teams did not need him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
On a sportscenter special today, Kiper stated again that Spencer was his DROY pick and that he will make the biggest impact out of all the defensive players this season. He said that Spencer will get 12-15 sacks this season.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I wish some people could give up the abject homerism of pimping their school's prospects all the time. Nobody, but nobody, had Woodley as anywhere near Spencer. Woodley is way too short and compact to play OLB in the 34 full time. Like Parcells said, edge passrushers need some length or else huge NFL tackles will get their hands on you first every time and you're dead.

As for Moss, I like him more than most. He might have a bigger upside than Spencer, but he has a lot bigger downside, too. I say chances are a lot greater than 50-50 that he get suspended for one reason or another before he's too far into his career. Not Spencer -- he seems to be as solid as you get.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1484929 said:
I wish some people could give up the abject homerism of pimping their school's prospects all the time. Nobody, but nobody, had Woodley as anywhere near Spencer. Woodley is way too short and compact to play OLB in the 34 full time. Like Parcells said, edge passrushers need some length or else huge NFL tackles will get their hands on you first every time and you're dead.

LaMar Woodley is 6'2

Anthony Spencer is 6'3

And if I recall, Woodley had the longest arms for DEs at the Combine.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1484659 said:
I could see Moss racking up some decent sack totals, but what won't get noticed is how he gets shoved 15 yards straight backwards on every run play. Spencer might be the best run defender edge DE in the draft and one of the strongest. Spencer should be at least equal in pass rush and in another universe when it comes to run defense.

I think it odd when we disagree. Since Moss was treated for osteomyelitis he has only had two years to get his strength up. And he's not near his potential and I don't think his run support was that bad. Spencer is incredibly strong now. Both will do very well IMO. Moss is bigger and just as fast. It'll be interesting to see both become players.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
smarta5150;1484937 said:
LaMar Woodley is 6'2

Anthony Spencer is 6'3

And if I recall, Woodley had the longest arms for DEs at the Combine.
Actually its 6-1 1/2 compared to 6-2 7/8 (1 3/8 difference):D Which is a pretty big difference in football, but arm length(longer than normal for their height) can help a shorter player overcome that. But everybody I listened to(Kiper, the Cowboys, Goose) said that the DE/OLB prospects dropped off dramatically in talent after Spencer. Height and strength are definitely huge factors favoring Spencer.

Woodley
4.62(campus 40) 355 bench 35" vj 32 7/8" arm 9 7/8 hands

Spencer
4.63(campus 40) 500 bench 32 5/8 arm 9 5/8 hands

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/nfl_draft_07/flash.htm

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It hard to make comparision. Moss had better overall talent around him on the Florida defense than did Spencer at Purdue. I think both are very good players. In the NFL Spencer will get to work opposite of Ware and I think that will be a big help while Moss is going to Denver who appears to be doing a bit of an overhaul of their defensive front the off-season

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
smarta5150;1484538 said:
Woodley actually had better statistics based on averages than Spencer, in both sacks and TFLs.

What people don't realize is that Purdue's opponents ran much more than Michigan opponents giving more chances at TFLs. You might say than that Woodley had more chances at sacks but that is incorrect. Reasons for this could be TOP by Michigan's offense.

But once again teams are going on the combine numbers to forecast the future :rolleyes:

I have been trying to dig up my old post where I compared the two but I cant find it... Theo did it more recently but I cant find that either (stupid search tool, probably my fault).

Should be interesting debates though this year between the two and my boy :D

I wonder what the numbers of tfl per attempt and sack per attempt would look like when comparing Ware to Merriman when coming out of college.

I wonder if Merriman's would be better than Ware's.

Reason I say this is because either way, it wouldn't matter to me because Ware has proven to be elite.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Vintage;1485155 said:
I wonder what the numbers of tfl per attempt and sack per attempt would look like when comparing Ware to Merriman when coming out of college.

I wonder if Merriman's would be better than Ware's.

Reason I say this is because either way, it wouldn't matter to me because Ware has proven to be elite.

Merriman also had some other pass rushers around him in SD. Ware now gets to work opposite of Spencer this should be a big help to him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeSportStar80;1484465 said:
Okay now that Dallas has chosen Anthony Spencer. Who will contribute more him or Jarvis Moss? Meaning sacks, forced fumbles, QB pressures etc..

Spencer is a better tackler and more of a complete DE/OLB. Let the opinions roll... Please don't let your Cowboys bias cloud your assessment..:thumbup:

Why? Of course you could just counter with Why Not or It is just fun.

But really every year we get these types of things...who will be better (insert player A or B).

There are just too many variables and to be honest I am just worried about the player WE drafted not a player another team drafted.

About the only other teams or players I am worried about are the teams in our division and watching the browns hoping they fail miserably. :laugh1:

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1485204 said:
Why? Of course you could just counter with Why Not or It is just fun.

But really every year we get these types of things...who will be better (insert player A or B).

There are just too many variables and to be honest I am just worried about the player WE drafted not a player another team drafted.

About the only other teams or players I am worried about are the teams in our division and watching the browns hoping they fail miserably. :laugh1:

Yeah I understand your point bud. I'm happy Philly was dumb enough to be a trade partner in the draft allowing Dallas to take a speed rusher/OLB that will sack McNugget!

:lmao:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeSportStar80;1485214 said:
Yeah I understand your point bud. I'm happy Philly was dumb enough to be a trade partner in the draft allowing Dallas to take a speed rusher/OLB that will sack McNugget!

:lmao:

Yes that move will probably come back to haunt them.

It is one thing for them to trade with us in the 4th round (ala Canty trade) but not so smart in the first round.

Plus the whole QB situation in Philly.

They can claim it is no big deal but I tell you this, when the coach says he tried to call McNabb after the pick or has to have a meeting with a QB that is confused about the pick that is enough to tell you something right there.

If it is no big deal than why would he feel the need to have to try and contact his starting QB after the pick was made or have a meeting a few days later with that QB.

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1485226 said:
Yes that move will probably come back to haunt them.

It is one thing for them to trade with us in the 4th round (ala Canty trade) but not so smart in the first round.

Plus the whole QB situation in Philly.

They can claim it is no big deal but I tell you this, when the coach says he tried to call McNabb after the pick or has to have a meeting with a QB that is confused about the pick that is enough to tell you something right there.

If it is no big deal than why would he feel the need to have to try and contact his starting QB after the pick was made or have a meeting a few days later with that QB.

YEP! And add the fact they reached for Kolb because he was more a product of the system than anything. Philly should have reached for a guy like Drew Stanton or the QB from BYU, Beck.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1485163 said:
Merriman also had some other pass rushers around him in SD. Ware now gets to work opposite of Spencer this should be a big help to him.

Merriman had those pass rushers around him in Maryland?

Odd. Didn't know Jamal Williams, Phillips, Castillo, et al went to Maryland at the same time Merriman did.

(Smart *** comment meant to be taken as a joke).

I said coming out of college....I am just curious as to what the numbers are....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1484465 said:
Okay now that Dallas has chosen Anthony Spencer. Who will contribute more him or Jarvis Moss? Meaning sacks, forced fumbles, QB pressures etc..

Spencer is a better tackler and more of a complete DE/OLB. Let the opinions roll... Please don't let your Cowboys bias cloud your assessment..:thumbup:

I think Jarvis Moss is one dimensional player. He lacks the ability to play the run. He has also been known to take plays off which again I have a problem with. (of course not as many as Alan Branch takes off) I think he could become better at the run, but he won't until he adds at least 15 pounds. He will get mowed down against the run playing DE at 251lbs with his lanky frame. If he comes around to be a great player, he will be a Jason Taylor type player, but I don't think he has the mentality to do it. Jason Taylor doesn't take plays off.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1485163 said:

Carpenter has pass rush ability too. If he stays inside, that to should help Ware and Spencer. Of course, Ayodele and James pretty much stink at pass rush that I've seen. I would say Ayodele should be better since he is a converted DE.

Reaction score
nyc;1485255 said:
I think Jarvis Moss is one dimensional player. He lacks the ability to play the run. He has also been known to take plays off which again I have a problem with. (of course not as many as Alan Branch takes off) I think he could become better at the run, but he won't until he adds at least 15 pounds. He will get mowed down against the run playing DE at 251lbs with his lanky frame. If he comes around to be a great player, he will be a Jason Taylor type player, but I don't think he has the mentality to do it. Jason Taylor doesn't take plays off.

I agree, he's in he mold of a Jason Taylor but I too question his work ethic..