Any Concerns about Mike Nolan as Defensive Coordinator

DuncanIso

Reaction score
its an insurance policy.

Nolan starts to blow up our defense like he did in Atlanta, Jerry pulls the plug and we roll with Edwards.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
its a smart move. and it's leverage vs Nolan.

In other words, we know what you did in Atlanta. Mike likes you and we had to hire you. But we have options.

SSoup

Reaction score
Not a fan of Nolan’s. He’s washed up.

He’s big buddies with Mike. That’s how he got the job. Just like Philbin.

We also have problems at LB, DB, and the S position coaches. Harris has potential, but he was fired after the meltdown in KC a few seasons ago in the playoffs.

Edwards and Tomsula have their work cutout for them.
I don't know about "washed up," but I'd agree he's nothing special. He's yet another poster boy for the problems with the Good Old Boy Network where generic retreads just hang around long enough for their name to be recognizable and for their contact list to be full of other generic retreads who will recommend them or hire them over people who might actually run if someone put the bit in their mouths.

To me, the main reason for hope is that there's a substantial chance that simply shedding ourselves of the stink of that Tampa 2 coaching tree (which was largely outdated years before we brought them to town) will lead to positive results and some level of modernization by default.

75boyz

Reaction score
I don't know about "washed up," but I'd agree he's nothing special. He's yet another poster boy for the problems with the Good Old Boy Network where generic retreads just hang around long enough for their name to be recognizable and for their contact list to be full of other generic retreads who will recommend them or hire them over people who might actually run if someone put the bit in their mouths.

To me, the main reason for hope is that there's a substantial chance that simply shedding ourselves of the stink of that Tampa 2 coaching tree (which was largely outdated years before we brought them to town) will lead to positive results and some level of modernization by default.

Good post.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm still trying to get a track on new Defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan and his past record, pattern, what failed him and what made him successful as a DC.
And what " should " make him a successful DC here with the Cowboys.

As much as it is hyped and talked about the explosive offense, i truly believe our success to the SB will ride on what we produce on Defense.
I'm one of those old schoolers that believe defense decides the wins in SB championships .

Look back at the chances we've had in the playoffs - and it seems every time, every playoff game you can think of we have got butt -kicked outta the playoffs because of the failings of the defense
Green Bay,.. Vikes,.. Rams

And how many DC's have we gone through now ? Brian Stuart ..Wade Phillips..Rob Ryan.. ..Monte Kiffin ... Rod Marinell,... Kris Richard ... and now it's Mike Nolan's turn.

What will Mike Nolan bring here anew...vs the past failed DC's ?

Here were some of the teams and years of Nolan's stints as DC:

NYGiants 1993

Washington 1997

NYJets 2000

Ravens 2002

Denver 2009

Miami 2010

ATL 2012

He likes bringing the blitz and has done so more than many coaches, granted so did Rob Ryan so that is a concern to me. I don't mind seeing aggressive defense but when you blitz and fail to get there you run the risk of giving up big plays quickly. Clearly the flip side is heavy pressure can lead to turnovers.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He likes bringing the blitz and has done so more than many coaches, granted so did Rob Ryan so that is a concern to me. I don't mind seeing aggressive defense but when you blitz and fail to get there you run the risk of giving up big plays quickly. Clearly the flip side is heavy pressure can lead to turnovers.

The only reason he has the DC job is because he is big buddies with the HC.

you can not justify his hiring based on his job performance.

that disaster in Atlanta happened because of him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The only reason he has the DC job is because he is big buddies with the HC.

you can not justify his hiring based on his job performance.

that disaster in Atlanta happened because of him.

McCarthy trust him to do the job, would you rather Jerry pick the coaches for McCarthy? I have some reservations as well but for me it comes down to it is the HC call and I'm good with that.

quickccc

Reaction score

That's why i've commented that i don't mind blitzing so long as it's not a neccessity because we can't generate a fierce pass rush without blitzing
and if that blitzing is well designed that it becomes very effective and doesn't equate to an undisciplined defense that has blown assignments, mass confusion, that allows big plays downfield.

- That's the way of Rob Ryan, that's what got him fired ....and ironically i read reports that mass exposure blitzing is what also got Kris Richard fired by Pete Carroll as a DC in Seattle. He love to blitz, but he wasn't very good at designing blitzes to get home to the QB, and Carroll thought
he gave up too much exposure and too many big plays. Philosophical indifferences and outta there.

it's not just about more blitzing - but it's how that blitzing is designed- schemed. If we are gonna do that under Nolan, then we'd better be very good at blitzing to get to the QB, as well as covering our grounds in making the big tackle if the blitz does not get there, so it doesn't allow
big plays.
i believe in a gambling, aggressive if it can be done right. If not, Nolan may be another Rob Ryan exit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's why i've commented that i don't mind blitzing so long as it's not a neccessity because we can't generate a fierce pass rush without blitzing
and if that blitzing is well designed that it becomes very effective and doesn't equate to an undisciplined defense that has blown assignments, mass confusion, that allows big plays downfield.

- That's the way of Rob Ryan, that's what got him fired ....and ironically i read reports that mass exposure blitzing is what also got Kris Richard fired by Pete Carroll as a DC in Seattle. He love to blitz, but he wasn't very good at designing blitzes to get home to the QB, and Carroll thought
he gave up too much exposure and too many big plays. Philosophical indifferences and outta there.

it's not just about more blitzing - but it's how that blitzing is designed- schemed. If we are gonna do that under Nolan, then we'd better be very good at blitzing to get to the QB, as well as covering our grounds in making the big tackle if the blitz does not get there, so it doesn't allow
big plays.
i believe in a gambling, aggressive if it can be done right. If not, Nolan may be another Rob Ryan exit.

There is just some unknowns Will DLaw get back to double digit sacks? I do think if you blitz you allow DLaw to work one on one as opposed to getting doubled and with his quickness off the ball he can get there in a hurry. How will Aldon Smith play? or Gregory I would hope we would get some positives out of at least 1. How much inside push can we get from Poe and McCoy? I think if you can get good pressure from the down linemen it makes the various blitz packages that much stronger since the focus shifts so much on the down linemen.

75boyz

Reaction score
There is just some unknowns Will DLaw get back to double digit sacks? I do think if you blitz you allow DLaw to work one on one as opposed to getting doubled and with his quickness off the ball he can get there in a hurry. How will Aldon Smith play? or Gregory I would hope we would get some positives out of at least 1. How much inside push can we get from Poe and McCoy? I think if you can get good pressure from the down linemen it makes the various blitz packages that much stronger since the focus shifts so much on the down linemen.

For all these questions asked and my negative answers to said questions is the reason that I see increased turnover production as the only net positive if comparing the Nolan and Marinelli schemes.
quick shares a little higher opinion of Dlaw than me combined with my own opinions of an older Poe and McCoy and football shape versions of Smith and Gregory.
Not to mention a full injury recovery expectation by WolfHunter and hopeful return to form by Jaylon and practically an entire secondary that's never played together. Color me doubtful on much improvement if any.

I reserve the right of opinion change if they are the infamous "opportunistic" bunch that takes/gambles risks and gets a lot of picks, strip sacks and fumble recoveries. I could live with yards being given up if they offset it with net turnovers. But that's all.

Asking a lot considering all the back stories of each defender previously mentioned.
It's an old punchline I use too often but hope is not a strategy.

Go Cowboys

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
For all these questions asked and my negative answers to said questions is the reason that I see increased turnover production as the only net positive if comparing the Nolan and Marinelli schemes.
quick shares a little higher opinion of Dlaw than me combined with my own opinions of an older Poe and McCoy and football shape versions of Smith and Gregory.
Not to mention a full injury recovery expectation by WolfHunter and hopeful return to form by Jaylon and practically an entire secondary that's never played together. Color me doubtful on much improvement if any.

I reserve the right of opinion change if they are the infamous "opportunistic" bunch that takes/gambles risks and gets a lot of picks, strip sacks and fumble recoveries. I could live with yards being given up if they offset it with net turnovers. But that's all.

Asking a lot considering all the back stories of each defender previously mentioned.

Go Cowboys

Well I'm a bit more optimistic but in general agree. Rod system did not give up many big plays you got bled slowly and hope to stiffen up as the offense would get down to the redzone, but seldom were we getting turnovers.
Nolan yeah I think the risk of giving up more big plays is real, the more aggressive the bigger risk you take, but you also by putting more pressure increase the likelihood of getting the turnovers. In my opinion turnovers are a very key stat to any defense.
As I said I think the key to any blitzing team is the ability to bring big pressure with your front 4, if you can generate that pressure with 4 then when you are sending 5 or 6 the odds of getting to the QB or getting him off balance is greater.

75boyz

Reaction score
Well I'm a bit more optimistic but in general agree. Rod system did not give up many big plays you got bled slowly and hope to stiffen up as the offense would get down to the redzone, but seldom were we getting turnovers.
Nolan yeah I think the risk of giving up more big plays is real, the more aggressive the bigger risk you take, but you also by putting more pressure increase the likelihood of getting the turnovers. In my opinion turnovers are a very key stat to any defense.
As I said I think the key to any blitzing team is the ability to bring big pressure with your front 4, if you can generate that pressure with 4 then when you are sending 5 or 6 the odds of getting to the QB or getting him off balance is greater.

Totally agree. Seeing is believing though, lol.

quickccc

Reaction score

Go Cowboys

Ironically that's the idealogy of the Tampa 2, - the bend but don't break philosophy.
Forcing a team to dink and dunk for yards in front of the defense, without giving up the big chunk, splash yards and scores, while
aiming to get the big sacks for minus yards and possible strip fumble or INT in between the 20 hashes of the field.
It's to force your offense to be patient and penny-dime your defense, and Not to make the big mistake in between.

- The problem we have was not getting the constant pass rush and the turnover plays - and then add other matters that
eventually presented itself such as- inability to prevent screen passes, inconsistencies vs run, etc.
We eventually evolved into more Cover 3 and man press, but we still had issues with inconsistencies and a lack of turnovers.
Our starting CBs were simply not ball hawks and our safeties underachieved as ball hawks in that area.

- i think Dlaw is very solid but hes' not elite. He's not Khali Mack or even Chandler Jones, imo .
And up until last year's blow out win vs Philly, he usually has issues beating All pro OT Lane Johnson, so we have to
watch how he faces and can beat the better right tackles.

He is one of the better run defending DE's in NFL, and he can generate rush at DE or inside at nickel rusher in packages.
But even at his more productive years, i dunno what has been the deal with him fading down the stretch and in playoff crunch games
(every since his rookie vs Detroit in 2014 playoffs) With a now mended shoulder we'll see how he fares throughout entire year.

- It's a cross your fingers with older vet DTs, but i'm counting on backup depth guys to not only successfully spell those older vets, but
be effectively productive when those older DTs get nicked and hurt that could include them missing games.

- Trysten Hill has more lower body strength and strength core to anchor than he is given credit for as a 3 tech type., but because of Marinelli
he is so bereft of very valuable game experience to properly play roles in NFL. He still looks so novice and unsure of what he needs to do.
- Neville Gallimore has no experience, still has quite a bit to learn on the run, and despite supposed enormous weight room, run defense
wasn't at all a strength of his at OU.
- Crawford is simply a nickel DT and i question how physically fit and effective he can be off those hip surgeries.

- And we already know the certain with the RDE spots and roles.

75boyz

Reaction score
Ironically that's the idealogy of the Tampa 2, - the bend but don't break philosophy.
Forcing a team to dink and dunk for yards in front of the defense, without giving up the big chunk, splash yards and scores, while
aiming to get the big sacks for minus yards and possible strip fumble or INT in between the 20 hashes of the field.
It's to force your offense to be patient and penny-dime your defense, and Not to make the big mistake in between.

- The problem we have was not getting the constant pass rush and the turnover plays - and then add other matters that
eventually presented itself such as- inability to prevent screen passes, inconsistencies vs run, etc.
We eventually evolved into more Cover 3 and man press, but we still had issues with inconsistencies and a lack of turnovers.
Our starting CBs were simply not ball hawks and our safeties underachieved as ball hawks in that area.

- i think Dlaw is very solid but hes' not elite. He's not Khali Mack or even Chandler Jones, imo .
And up until last year's blow out win vs Philly, he usually has issues beating All pro OT Lane Johnson, so we have to
watch how he faces and can beat the better right tackles.

He is one of the better run defending DE's in NFL, and he can generate rush at DE or inside at nickel rusher in packages.
But even at his more productive years, i dunno what has been the deal with him fading down the stretch and in playoff crunch games
(every since his rookie vs Detroit in 2014 playoffs) With a now mended shoulder we'll see how he fares throughout entire year.

- It's a cross your fingers with older vet DTs, but i'm counting on backup depth guys to not only successfully spell those older vets, but
be effectively productive when those older DTs get nicked and hurt that could include them missing games.

- Trysten Hill has more lower body strength and strength core to anchor than he is given credit for as a 3 tech type., but because of Marinelli
he is so bereft of very valuable game experience to properly play roles in NFL. He still looks so novice and unsure of what he needs to do.
- Neville Gallimore has no experience, still has quite a bit to learn on the run, and despite supposed enormous weight room, run defense
wasn't at all a strength of his at OU.
- Crawford is simply a nickel DT and i question how physically fit and effective he can be off those hip surgeries.

- And we already know the certain with the RDE spots and roles.

I'm totally with ya and in agreement with ya bro. Just like Jerry has been trying for his second set of Triplets for the past 25 years, so too was Rod trying to duplicate his Tampa 2 from his glory years.

Here's the thing though.
There ain't nothing close to Sapp, Booger, Rice, Brooks, Lynch and Barber playing for Nolan.

Therein lies the problem, lol.

khiladi

Reaction score
Coaching is all about retreads and connections, until somebody is about to lose his job. Then he will fire his friend.

When Garrett came, we had the pleasure of bringing back Hudson Houck, Dooley, Linehan, Campo, and John Garrett. The first four were with Garrett at least a year in Miami, when he was QB coach. Garrett took Columbo with him to NY. They also got some offensive coaches from Alabama, meaning the Nick Saban connection when Garrett was in Miami. Dooley is actually back with Garrett, which proves that his being let go last year was just a scapegoat move. Another is Stephen Brown.

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Not interested in nolan as a head coach,.nor.as a future head coach.
His hire here is to rev up the defense
Has George Edwards ever ran a 3-4 defensive scheme as a DC?
And it had to be a reason why he was fired in Minnesota by Mike Zimmer as DC.
:oops:
Yes George Edwards has plenty of experience with 3-4 and 4-3. Go check his resume.

Zimmer either had to fire himself or Edwards after the 49ers ran the ball down the defense throat. But, Edwards gave the Vikings a playoff caliber defense that the Cowboys did not in 2019.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes George Edwards has plenty of experience with 3-4 and 4-3. Go check his resume.

Zimmer either had to fire himself or Edwards after the 49ers ran the ball down the defense throat. But, Edwards gave the Vikings a playoff caliber defense that the Cowboys did not in 2019.

You're proven right as research as it as George Edwards has coached in the 4-3 scheme with Cowboys, Commanders, Cleveland and Minnesota

- And the 3-4 scheme; With Miami Dolphins as LB coach (under Dom Capers) ... and as the primary DC with the Buffalo Bills.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ue-history-with-the-team-mike-zimmer-mccarthy
" As for Edwards’ role in Dallas, it’s unclear. According to ESPN’s Todd Archer, Edwards will work with linebackers and assist with defensive sub packages, but how exactly that works out remains to be seen. It’s also possible that Edwards is being brought in with an eye towards the future; he just turned 53 last week, while Nolan will turn 61 in March. Perhaps Edwards is being promised a quick promotion to defensive coordinator in a few years ...."

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Time will tell. Personally, I'm just happy that it is just a new face on the sideline. I do respect Marinelli for his life portfolio but it was clear that game has been passing him up. He should be on a boat fishing or teeing off on a golf course at this point in his life. As far as Nolan's resume, it's not bad. Seems he helped improve/stabilize defenses he has been involved with the exception of Atlanta. My BFF is an Atlanta fan and I can tell you by his rants that the team never infused defensive talent at the beginning of the decade. So, I'm not giving Nolan an excuse, but, he didn't exactly have the talent.

Again, we will see! I'm more worried about the possibility we may not have an NFL season. :(