Any do it yourself Investors out there?

BillyBates

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is looking at the new ''pot'' stocks. SERIOUSLY. some of these fledgling companies are posed to really take off. this maybe our Microsoft /amazon moment for us ?
GW Pharmaceuticals
Market cap: $2.87 billion
Year-to-date stock price change: +64%
Canopy Growth
Market cap: $780.6 million
Year-to-date stock price change: +192%
Aurora Cannabis
Market cap: $433.8 million
Year-to-date stock price change: +311%

this is only a small cross section, some have already folded.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I knew an old Jewish guy( long gone country, now) I'd met ,up in the owners level bar area at the horse track years ago
( we'd drink& quick pencil thru the track program) ,who'd made out like a fat rat in life playin nothing but the "penny stocks" game,,, I wish I would of paid more attention to what he was laying down on me concerning that,back then:(

* although, in the world of that pre-tax 401k ? I was dumping 30% of payroll income into it, & enjoyed seeing a whopping 30% stock growth/visual return on my investment for a couple of years straight,,, er,,,which was almost as much fun as Seeing DALLAS winning FOOTBALL GAMES:thumbup:

DFWJC

Reaction score
I as a rule of thumb never invest in tech. possibly a tech mutual like telecommunications. Pareteum Corp is just toooo volatile for me.
To each his own, BB.
I think AMZN, AAPL etc have proven to be fine investments over the last several years.

Good luck though!

John813

Reaction score
I need to get back into the markets.
Sort of dropped it since 2016(no real reason just got too busy to buy/sell without proper research) and sort of held onto stocks long term.

The medical MJ is interesting to me.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I picked up 2k shares of OrganiGram Holdings back January of 2018 when it fell 25% from around $4 to $3. Though I sold it all in late May of the same year for about a $0.70 profit per share. I was using the cash as part of a down payment on my new home. After capital gains taxes, I made about $1k off of it.

I haven't reinvested in those stocks since.

My view on them have changed quite a bit since I originally invested in them. Couple of things:
  1. They are limited in their production abilities. So, they have a finite income potential without massive investment that also requires getting governments where they intent to build to allow it which is no given.
  2. One of the biggest issues with it being legal is that illegal sales are still generally cheaper. Part of that is the large taxes applied to it's legal sales.
  3. Because of the above, some states are overloaded with legal Marijuana. If supply is above demand, where are their new products going to go? Currently more states are becoming legal in some ways, but that isn't today.
  4. At some point. There will be a couple of big guys in the field. The rest will die off. Better pick the correct one now, but you really don't know who that is. Yet anyhow.

Phillip Morris and the beverage industry are the elephants in the room. I would keep an eye on them and what they do.

BillyBates

Reaction score
I picked up 2k shares of OrganiGram Holdings back January of 2018 when it fell 25% from around $4 to $3. Though I sold it all in late May of the same year for about a $0.70 profit per share. I was using the cash as part of a down payment on my new home. After capital gains taxes, I made about $1k off of it.

I haven't reinvested in those stocks since.

My view on them have changed quite a bit since I originally invested in them. Couple of things:
  1. Phillip Morris and the beverage industry are the elephants in the room. I would keep an eye on them and what they do.
  1. funny that you mentioned this. once the large cap elephants show a true interest in this area, the viable upper tier companies could be easily bought out..if not run out.
  2. I also agree with your point,the key would be as more states come on line with sales and the legalities sorted out .opportunity maybe knocking..on a side note, doing my research I found that at the Fed level no pot company can deal with a banking institute. Savings ,loans for expansion etc. etc.. banks since are fed regulated. the pot companies have become cash only .but the stocks are completely legal ?. I'm sure the IRS will not forgive any short or long term cap gains lol.

BillyBates

Reaction score
To each his own, BB.
I think AMZN, AAPL etc have proven to be fine investments over the last several years.

Good luck though!
indeed, to rich per sharer for me. I dont have the capital to make a big splash. I'm looking for a pink sheet home run.:D

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
  1. funny that you mentioned this. once the large cap elephants show a true interest in this area, the viable upper tier companies could be easily bought out..if not run out.
  2. I also agree with your point,the key would be as more states come on line with sales and the legalities sorted out .opportunity maybe knocking..on a side note, doing my research I found that at the Fed level no pot company can deal with a banking institute. Savings ,loans for expansion etc. etc.. banks since are fed regulated. the pot companies have become cash only .but the stocks are completely legal ?. I'm sure the IRS will not forgive any short or long term cap gains lol.

The Fed hates competition therefore has enslaved us all, see JFK...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Remember too transporting products across state lines is prohibited in many cases. So, getting the product to legalized states can be a difficult situation too in some cases. That is if there isn't a grower in that state. Much of the product comes from California and Canada. No idea how Colorado gets their product.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is looking at the new ''pot'' stocks. SERIOUSLY. some of these fledgling companies are posed to really take off. this maybe our Microsoft /amazon moment for us ?
GW Pharmaceuticals
Canopy Growth
Aurora Cannabis

I bought in to Aurora. They had talks with Coca-cola, and while nothing was agreed, it bodes well for future cooperation.

I have a habit of when ever I have some excess cash, I just buy stocks and hold. I have investments in crypto too.

Not a pot stock, but I would advise getting into some GE stock. It's like $9 per right now and these legacy companies seem to always bounce back.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Similar post last year and some guy came on touting bitcoin and how he made a lot of $$$. Then the bottom dropped out a couple weeks later.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
GW Pharmaceuticals
Canopy Growth
Aurora Cannabis

The price of cannabis has plummeted since it’s recreationally legal in several states. The big corporate growers haven’t even started yet. It’s always best to let the professionals handle your market portfolio.

BillyBates

Reaction score
I bought in to Aurora. They had talks with Coca-cola, and while nothing was agreed, it bodes well for future cooperation.

I have a habit of when ever I have some excess cash, I just buy stocks and hold. I have investments in crypto too.

Not a pot stock, but I would advise getting into some GE stock. It's like $9 per right now and these legacy companies seem to always bounce back.
Aurora health , ACB Cannabis .8-12-2016 closed at .57 cents ps.... closed yesterday 4-8-2019 at $9.04 ps dam man. you have my attention. world wide distributor also. Morningstar thinks well of this company too. thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate your input.

BillyBates

Reaction score
The price of cannabis has plummeted since it’s recreationally legal in several states. The big corporate growers haven’t even started yet. It’s always best to let the professionals handle your market portfolio.
yes if they are a CFP only that act or can be hired in a fiduciary manner to your holdings. estate planning and tax sheltering you probably need pro help. but.....
my parents had a CPA slash CPA slash insurance person. one too many hats for one IMO. he would send a year end statement which in yellow highlight marker reflected their profits for that year end. I will use an example it stated they made 15k that year. ok not bad right? but once you start doing the math... it didn't take in account or highlighted what was the company he represented made 3% of the total value of their holdings, win or lose. 3k charged for every 100k in value. 300k total value is 9k charged. 9k minus the 15k made equals 6k return on a 300k investment. and keep in mind your not done with the tax man ether for the whole year end cap gain...horrible. simply horrible. I speaking of mutual funds now not stocks.
these pros are stuck selling what they represent, sorta like a car dealer they sell what they have, not what's best. they are also loaded funds and have high managerial expenses that eat away any realized profits.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Aurora health , ACB Cannabis .8-12-2016 closed at .57 cents ps.... closed yesterday 4-8-2019 at $9.04 ps dam man. you have my attention. world wide distributor also. Morningstar thinks well of this company too. thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate your input.

No problem. Aurora also has the largest inventory of any company. While they have not been aspirational on profitability or marketing as Canopy, for instance, their assets and international experience (largest international distributor) leads me to believe good things will come in the future.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
yes if they are a CFP only that act or can be hired in a fiduciary manner to your holdings. estate planning and tax sheltering you probably need pro help. but.....
my parents had a CPA slash CPA slash insurance person. one too many hats for one IMO. he would send a year end statement which in yellow highlight marker reflected their profits for that year end. I will use an example it stated they made 15k that year. ok not bad right? but once you start doing the math... it didn't take in account or highlighted what was the company he represented made 3% of the total value of their holdings, win or lose. 3k charged for every 100k in value. 300k total value is 9k charged. 9k minus the 15k made equals 6k return on a 300k investment. and keep in mind your not done with the tax man ether for the whole year end cap gain...horrible. simply horrible. I speaking of mutual funds now not stocks.
these pros are stuck selling what they represent, sorta like a car dealer they sell what they have, not what's best. they are also loaded funds and have high managerial expenses that eat away any realized profits.
I pay 1% no trading costs, no high fee mutual funds. All low cost market vehicles of all kind.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
And I would recommend that no one follow any market advice they read on a message board of any kind. Lots of pumpers/dumpers out there that play the penny stocks and scam people.