Any history buffs here?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I have my undergraduate degree in History. My areas of interests lie in the world prior to and immediately after world war I. (Middle East, British Empire, Palestine, British Mandate, etc...)

As far as American History, I have a fondness for antebellum America and the Civil War as well.

What are your interests?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
windward;1421379 said:
I have my undergraduate degree in History. My areas of interests lie in the world prior to and immediately after world war I. (Middle East, British Empire, Palestine, British Mandate, etc...)

As far as American History, I have a fondness for antebellum America and the Civil War as well.

What are your interests?

Civil War buff here... my specific interest is the Army of Northern Virginia...

My family's home is Hagerstown, hard up against the Antietam battlefield... went swimming (more like wading) in Antietam Creek on more than a few occasions... my Boy Scout troop used to spend two weeks up on the Gettysburg battlefield every summer, I remember stealing apples off of Eisenhower's farm back when Ike was still alive...

And these days, I live in the Shenandoah Valley... the New Market battlefield is 10 minutes from the house, the nearest church served as a Union hospital during that battle... the road I live on was one, Moreland Gap Road, was one of the "escape routes" that Stonewall used to elude the North during his Valley Campaign... my house isn't that old, but Confederate soldiers marched right past where it stands today, probably filled their canteens in the creek that now runs under my back porch...

Got a photo gallery that includes Lee, Jackson, Jubal Early, JEB Stuart, John Breckenridge (the general who commanded the Confederate forces at New Market), John Mosby and Turner Ashby on one wall of my living room, which is done in a Civil War theme... if I ever get my ship to come in, I'll replace the replica saber and Confederate D-guard Bowie knife with the real deals...

Can't tell you how much I love living in the middle of all this history...

dwmyers

Reaction score
My reading is eclectic but it cuts through a lot of biography and history. I'm reading Massie's book DREADNOUGHT, which is an explanation of the ships of the line in WW 1 by channeling bios of every major figure in Britain and Germany from about 1800 on.

Man he's wordy.

My father was a B-52 pilot in Vietnam, so I've read my share of military theory. I'm more of a Liddell-Hart nee Boyd guy than Clausewitz.

David.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a huge history buff but I have loved reading or watching things about WWII.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
windward;1421379 said:

What are your interests?
Yes, I love History. In particular I am interested in the "Old West" gunfighter days. The gunfighters, the lawmen, the outlaws, the Cavalry (especially the 9th and 10th cavalry commonly known as the "Buffalo Soldiers), the various Indian tribes and their interaction with the eminent domain land grabs. All of it.

I also am very interested in 1900 through the end of WWII and the evolution of world militaries, especially the US military. I have a particular interest in Patton. I find him to be perhaps the most remarkable military figure of all time. I never tire of talking about him and wish we still had a General of his ilk. I am more interested in his pre WWII fame than I am his WWII fame. He fascinates me.

I wrote some documentaries about gunfighters and wanted to do some others on the Buffalo Soldiers and one on pre-WWII Patton. Alas, I have never been able to find someone interested in funding those projects. The research into their stories is fascinating.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
I almost majored in history and wound up with a minor because I kept taking classes. My favorite subject is American history, particularly the Civil War and WWI-WWII and the events leading up them.

For a comprehensive look at American history, I highly recommend British historian Paul Johnson's A History of the American People. For a nearly 1000 page book it's a fairly easy read and isn't as dry as too many history texts are. It's also from the point of view of an outsider that actually admires America and the values and opportunities it represents, as opposed to the self-loathing types such as Howard Zinn who see history as only a story of victims and conquerers.

I'd also recommend Winston Churchill's multi-volume The Second World War. It's long, but well written by one of the key figures of the period.

coogrfan

Reaction score
I'll read almost anything on military history, but I'm mainly interested in WWI & WWII, ACW, Napoleonic era, and late Republic/early Empire Rome.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Cbz40;1422320 said:
What would you like to know.....I was there..;) :)

What a generous offer...

So tell me, what's up with that whole Cro Magnon thing?? :D

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Cbz40;1422409 said:
Looking forward to reading it.

Thanks. I tried to make it interesting with lots of anecdotes and a strong oral history element.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Civil War and WWII buff....well, I'd like to be a buff...I don't have the money.

But I love to study both.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Hostile;1421725 said:
Yes, I love History. In particular I am interested in the "Old West" gunfighter days. The gunfighters, the lawmen, the outlaws, the Cavalry (especially the 9th and 10th cavalry commonly known as the "Buffalo Soldiers), the various Indian tribes and their interaction with the eminent domain land grabs. All of it.

I also am very interested in 1900 through the end of WWII and the evolution of world militaries, especially the US military. I have a particular interest in Patton. I find him to be perhaps the most remarkable military figure of all time. I never tire of talking about him and wish we still had a General of his ilk. I am more interested in his pre WWII fame than I am his WWII fame. He fascinates me.

I wrote some documentaries about gunfighters and wanted to do some others on the Buffalo Soldiers and one on pre-WWII Patton. Alas, I have never been able to find someone interested in funding those projects. The research into their stories is fascinating.

have you ever watched the show "Wild West Technology"
If you havent you should do your best to watch it, a very good show.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Figured I would jump into this thread

I am a huge history buff, although I didn't major in history (I got my B.S in Economics)

Afew things I have very strong interest in

Early Islamic and Christian History

The Roman Empire

The Crusades

Early America (Jamestown, Plymouth Rock etc)

The American Revolution

The Great depression

WW2

The Cold War

And what I think will become a huge topic, the history of modern terrorism. The funny thing about that is, we all have lived it, or are living it now

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Hey, a fellow Y=C+I+G+X.

I actually know someone who had that as a license plate once.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man;1422886 said:
Hey, a fellow Y=C+I+G+X.

I actually know someone who had that as a license plate once.

Hahaha. That is awesome

I wish the work I did now was as simple as "what happens to Y* if X I goes up by 3 percent"

WarC

Reaction score
I'm a military history guy. Don't know why, have been as long as I can remember. I am very interested in tactics, training, equipment, and society of military cultures in all periods from the ancient world on into today.

Name the war and chances are I know something about it. Who fought it, why, how, and with what.

Needless to say, as an American I take a great amount of interest in all of our conflicts - particularly the Revolution, the Civil War, and WW2 as I believe those are the three conflicts that have done the most to shape our culture (Vietnam could end up in there too. It sure effected how the American public sees its own wars, thats for sure).

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;1422889 said:
Hahaha. That is awesome

I wish the work I did now was as simple as "what happens to Y* if X I goes up by 3 percent"

I think the model is a little simplistic as it is if they actually believe the gov't paying someone to dig a hole and someone else to fill it up will stimulate the economy (as FDR and the New Deal did) just as much as the same dollars spent in the private sector.

Even recently I've read articles that the 9/11 attacks and Hurricanes Katrina and Rita benefited the affected regions because of the legislation and construction and work programs instituted.