Any of you guys use a soda maker/SodaStream?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
To lose some weight, I've quit drinking soda pop. When I was a kid, you always wanted a Coke, a Pepsi, an RC, or whatever at a hot event like a baseball game or some other event outdoors in the summer. So I great up loving that stuff, but it really put the weight on you and trashes your health, so I've given it up. I can't stand diet sodas, so what's worked for me are these cans of sparkling water with a smidgen of flavor so that there are no calories. I buy these 8-backs of flavored sparkling water by brands like Bubbly and La Croix. A nice, cold can of that is refreshing, but buying those all the time can add up. I've considered making my own with a soda maker. The most popular brand is SodaSteam, but there are others. You can carbonate your own tap water, and then if you want, you can flavor it with something like a little lemon or lime juice. I've never even seen one of these things. Apparently they're really popular in other countries like Germany and Austria, but you can get one here. I'm curious of anyone here has one of these things and if it's worked well for you.
I do miss my fav brand of soda pop, RC, but this is working for me. Eight pounds have come off so far.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I tried a small version (for like water bottle size, not 2 liter) like 15 years ago. I guess it was okay. It carbonated the drink. I didn't care for the flavoring though, but if you're doing your own and not the ones they sell, that may not matter.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I bought one at a Church Garage Sale several years ago for $15. (Too expensive new imo) I have seen some just recently in Walmart clearance. It does carbonate water. I'm just not a fan of carbonating lemon water etc. I haven't used it much over the years but I have used it to perk up dr pepper (and sunkist) out of a 2 liter bottles that went flat.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Sodastream's are great, flavorings suck. They all have fake sugar and taste like it.

I either just add some lime juice or bitters to the bubbly water. If I want something similar to soda I add Real Fruit syrups. They come in a ton of flavors and are pretty good.

I also made my own homemade ginger ale syrup which was good.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sodastream type products were kind of big a few years ago but it seems like pretty much everyone that got one eventually got tired of the limited mixes available to them.

I have drank zero sugar zero or practically zero calories diet drinks for years. Most are not as good as the regular drink with the exception of one IMO...Diet Mountain Dew is actually better imo.

But that does not help you.

You can get some powered or liquid drink mixes that you can add to water. They also come in sugar free versions. I currently enjoy the zero sugar tang (no dirty jokes) packets to add to water

Point being is I think you should try a few drink mixes, some powder some liquid, to see if you can find a few you might like. Once you find some, buy a perrier or other basic carbonated water and see if you can mix it with the drink mixes and see if you like them.

If you do like them. Get one of those items that will allow you to carbonate your water. Then add the drink mixes you have found you like to the carbonated water.

Worth a try instead of wasting the money on the product and the drink mixes they try to sell you.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I have both the original sodastream and the new ninja sodastream. I like them both but the CO2 cartridges can be expensive.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I bought one and used it for a while. I found it was too inconvenient to constantly refill and pressure it, because the bottles don’t hold much capacity.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Best weight loss bargains - those fruit seltzers at Walmart. Sam’s Choice brand? Like 50 cent a liter and about 20 flavors. None of the diet saccharin stuff or taste, tastes sweet enough to settle the soda cravings. The Sparkling Ice brand is really good too, zero calories but sweet, but much more expensive. I believe I saw both too on top of list of pollutant free seltzer waters. Perrier and some known brands were actually some of the worst seltzers for pollutant levels based on water composition testing.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I have both the original sodastream and the new ninja sodastream. I like them both but the CO2 cartridges can be expensive.
Can those cartridges be refilled at a place that does the co2 for paintballs? I remember people use to mention it but never heard if it's really a thing or not.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Best weight loss bargains - those fruit seltzers at Walmart. Sam’s Choice brand? Like 50 cent a liter and about 20 flavors. None of the diet saccharin stuff or taste, tastes sweet enough to settle the soda cravings. The Sparkling Ice brand is really good too, zero calories but sweet, but much more expensive. I believe I saw both too on top of list of pollutant free seltzer waters. Perrier and some known brands were actually some of the worst seltzers for pollutant levels based on water composition testing.
The cheapest seltzers I've found are the Target-brand one. My WalMart doesn't seem to have their own brand. Maybe I should look at another WalMart. What is the WalMart name brand? Is it Good Value or possibly Equate?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The cheapest seltzers I've found are the Target-brand one. My WalMart doesn't seem to have their own brand. Maybe I should look at another WalMart. What is the WalMart name brand? Is it Good Value or possibly Equate?
Maybe I have the name wrong but you can’t miss it. Clear American?

Clear-American-Cherry-Limeade-Sparkling-Water-33-8-fl-oz_751f23e2-a2c3-42a9-8ebf-6465875b1644.03efde4289d98fb9b20b42cc29888c6a.jpeg

Xelda

Reaction score
I avoid the soda makers because it's a gate way to becoming a mad scientist. I'm already too close to crossing that line. I bought sugar free Torani peach, raspberry and vanilla syrups to add to my tea. It's really good according to my taste buds. I also drink Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier which comes in sugar free flavors. Both are on Amazon.