Any safeties anyone likes?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Title. I'm looking for tape on guys who could fill that Barry Church role as the downhill hitter in our scheme.

-I like Derwin James, but I doubt he's there at 19.

-I watched Ronnie Harrison, and I actually like his coverage, but I didn't care for his tackling or run defense. Not a Top 20 pick IMO, not a good fit for this scheme either.

-Can't find any cutups on Justin Reid.

-Armani Watts is a deep safety.

-Saw some tape on Marcus Allen from Penn State, he's got that thump, but his coverage and tackling sucks and he doesn't look like a great athlete. 3rd day kind of player, not sure if he's better than what we have.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
Justin Reid,Stanford
Terrell Edmunds,Va Tech
Damon Webb,Ohio St

cnuball21

Reaction score
Harrison's coverage ability is a concern, not sure I like him at 19.

I'm warming up to Reid and Watts.

Sydla

Reaction score
We need a FS, not a SS that is a down hill hitter. Heath/Frazier can/have replaced what Church did. We need a ballgawking FS who can make plays.

Heath and Frazier are blah. Decent. Nothing more. Frankly I think Woods can be a better FS than Heath and Frazier can play SS.

tm1119

Reaction score
Heath and Frazier are blah. Decent. Nothing more. Frankly I think Woods can be a better FS than Heath and Frazier can play SS.

Yeah not arguing that, SS could certainly be upgraded as well.
Woods seems to be the nickle guy though. He fits more as a zone S/slot corner in sub packages in my opinion. Not sure he's the guy that's going to be able to play single high. We need a guy with range, the ability to make plays on the ball, and can also hold his own in tackling/run support. Easier said than done of course, which is why I'd rather just make that 1 splash signing at S (Tre Boston) and then continue to build the rest of the team through the draft.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Heath, Frazier are SS... Woods can probably develop into one as well. We need a FS Jones shouldn’t be a S he’s a CB. Get a FS with actual cover ability and not just traits.

Dallas needs a Run Stopping DT and true FS.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Marcus Allen’s tackling does not suck. He’d be the perfect fit for us though. Should be a day 1 contributor but not a starter

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Adding another vote for Kyzir White (WVU). That's who you're looking for post starter person.

Siran Neal (Jacksonville State) is one of my favorites this year. Jumped between CB and S. Used pretty similarly to Church. Has coverage skills too but hard to gauge that level of competition. Really levels folks. Not shy vs the run. He'll be at the Senior Bowl.

Some other guys I like who'll go later on...
Afolabi Laguda, Colorado (East-West Shrine game Sat)
Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin (East-West Shrine game Sat)
Khalil Williams, Houston
Hootie Jones, Alabama​

Maybe Nate Gaines, UTSA. Plays deep but is an enforcer, at least on receivers. Not a lot of video to watch so I'm not sure he brings the same vs the run.

A few undersized, aware OLBs who might move to a box safety or hybrid role if they can -- Skai Moore (S Carolina), George Odum (C Arkansas), and Keishawn Bierria (Washington). Moore had a neck injury last year so he might be med flagged. Had something like 14 INTs career as a LB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I know we supposedly liked Watts last year

I want a guy that's balanced which is why I like Watts. He seems like he can cover and give you run support. In our defense, and in today's NFL, the SS needs to be able to cover.

This is why you are seeing safeties move to LB.

winzstar

Reaction score
As with most of us here I don't know it all. If I did I would have been a scout. I look at as many players you folks suggest and most of you point to some good talent. Two players I really liked before the East-West Shrine game were Poona Ford DT1 and OC/G Austin Kuhnert. I like both more now. There were several players in the East West game that I think could help us without being early round picks. I have always said any ole plug fan can pick first and second round talent. The good scouts are the one that can find talent in the later rounds. Two more players in that game that impressed me were Daurice Fountain and Steven Dunbar, both WR's.

I forgot to include LB Jason Cabinda & DE-Kentavius Street