Any small chance for Irvin as WR Coach?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The best WRs don't tend to go into coaching, for whatever reason.

Heck, the best anything don't tend to go into coaching for whatever reason.

I think it's difficult for the best players to relate to guys with less talent. Michael Irvin trying to teach T Will how he did things would only frustrate Michael and not help TW.

Some of the best coaches were never star players. They were never good enough to rely on talent alone so they had to know how to get the most out of what they had.

SSoup

Reaction score
Irvin would be a terrible WR coach. He just wasn't enough of a technician in the fundamentals to be able to teach kids all those things. And the passing game (and passing defenses) have changed so much, he'd have nothing helpful to say most of the time.

He's also just not a disciplined, reliable person. In the heat of battle, he wouldn't be able to keep his head and be cool and offer helpful suggestions to course-correct. He'd just scream and pitch hissy fits on the sideline trying to shout people into improving.

I mean, hire him to be a de-facto cheerleader who rallies the team if you want, but don't hire him to be a position coach. That's not his bag.

Grevus

Reaction score
I love Irvin as a player and the passion he brings. The only job for him is team motivator.

fansince68

Reaction score
MIchael Irvin any small chance for WR Coach ? would love his intensity on the staff
Irvin, WR coach and Mike Singletary as the LB coach....that would be a riot most of this roster would look like shivering puppies on game day.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Jeebus ....... We finally have a coach who is filling his staff with real NFL coaches and now someone wants a 55 year old crackhead who has only ever "coached" on a reality TV show.

I swear.
Hey crackheads get **** done

GenoT

Reaction score
Crack and stripper parties after wins and good practices...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how people keep thinking we should get Romo for QB coach, Witten for TE coach, Irvin for WR coach, Haley for DL.

Has it ever occurred to any of you people that there is more to being a coach than you think?

Some are simply not equipped. Others would not want the lifestyle. And I am willing to bet people like Irvin might make more on TV.

foofighters

Reaction score
MIchael Irvin any small chance for WR Coach ? would love his intensity on the staff
Ewww...

I don't get why guys are so in love with successful ex-athletes coaching. These guys make so much more money working their cushy jobs vs being a position coach where the fans are going to trash them on the very next bad game.

SSoup

Reaction score
I think it's difficult for the best players to relate to guys with less talent. Michael Irvin trying to teach T Will how he did things would only frustrate Michael and not help TW.

Some of the best coaches were never star players. They were never good enough to rely on talent alone so they had to know how to get the most out of what they had.
This.

Gifted players usually can't relate to normal players.

Imagine Deion Sanders trying to coach a cornerback who isn't Deion Sanders, and telling him his tricks like intentionally turning guys loose to bait throws. Mere mortals at the CB position can't play those games. They're in a death struggle just to keep guys contained, so they don't have the luxury of intentionally turning people loose when they're already turning guys loose accidentally.

Imagine Earl Campbell coaching a RB and telling him, "So, when the defender has you squared up like this, just run right over him. Works like a charm." Or Barry Sanders telling a kid, "Okay, but when there's nothing there, just refuse to let anyone tackle you. Reverse field a couple times and turn it into a long run. What's so hard to understand about this?"

Imagine you're a normal human QB reviewing your game film and your coach, Mike Vick, says: "Now, on this play, what you did wrong was you didn't outrun the cornerback. Next time, outrun the cornerback, okay?" Who does that advice apply to?

Great players have an unrealistic expectation of how easy everything is because they buy the hype about how great they were at everything. Funnily enough, you see it a lot when you watch Troy Aikman call a game.

Love Troy, but he's hilarious when he gets perplexed any time any pass falls incomplete, like it's inexcusable that the QB didn't bother to just throw it more perfectly. I know Troy's reputation was as a robotic, accurate passer in his day. But he has an inflated sense of how easy it is to perfectly place passes. "The receiver had to extend his arm and reach for it, no wonder it fell incomplete. Boy, that's inexcusable. Just inexcusable for this young passer. I don't know what he's thinking. I don't know how you miss like that and make your receiver have to extend his arm and reach like that. In my day, you never once saw any of my receivers have to reach out or jump for a pass I threw. Never. Not ever. Not once ever. Don't fact-check that."

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do people continue to think that great players, especially those with "intensity", will make great coaches. If anything, these players will go nuts because the players aren't as intense as they were.
And that's not to mention the fact that it's very rare for HOF players to go into coaching at all.

Rayman70

Reaction score
no. Mike Irvin wouldn't be a coach type. He is in player mode so to speak...not a good teacher. Only because his natural ability and work ethic made him what he was. It doesn't come that easy to most Wr's. So I don't think he would relate well. He would be a great motivational guy tho, to have trolling the sidelines time to time.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Maybe we've overlooked the most obvious possibility.

Jimmy Robinson was McC's WR coach during the 2010 Super Bowl year, and a few years even before that. And, as many recall, before there was a Derek Dooley arrival in DAL, that had been Robinson's job here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Robinson

He's retired, but he's just 67... and we've certainly had older... so who knows.