Any theories about who is behind the new frugal trades and aggressiveness?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can’t be Jerry. Doubt he’s the guy calling around talking to people around the league making deals. Stephen? Mcclay? Someone else?
Why wouldn't it be Jerry.
Stephen is the one that is risk and spending averse, not Jerry.
McClay is the one who tells them the value of each player (on our team and all other teams)

In the end its a group effort, like it has been for a decade.
But I suspect Jerry makes the phone calls...might even be conference calls

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be Jerry.
Stephen is the one that is risk and spending averse, not Jerry.
McClay is the one who tells them the value of each player (on our team and all other teams)

In the end its a group effort, like it has been for a decade.
But I suspect Jerry makes the phone calls...might even be conference calls
Takes lots of work to finally get to a trade that works. Jerry isn’t that hands on. And we didn’t get ripped off where Jerry always gets ripped off.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, it is a coordinated effort between Jerry Jones, DNA Kid #1, Will McClay, along with coaching and scouting staffs. However, I do believe Jones and McClay are far more involved in executing every transaction than some outsiders state. For instance, I do not think Stephen Jones is controlling who goes where and when. And I certainly do not believe he is signing off on any trade or signing.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Watkins, Hankins, Bohanon, Gallimore. Way more. And then add in our acquisitions of plus pass rushers. Monstrous.
Man, you have very low standards for monstrous.

All of them together was not as big as either Galloway or TO.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
My theory could be true.
Jerry and son are out on his big boat. Someone disabled / scrambled the GPS and they are lost at sea. They will unscramble it after FA and the draft.
They will return to find the have a championship roster, or at least to finally be more competitive for one.
:laugh:
Trust me even with that scenario they will mess it up after:)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Can’t be Jerry. Doubt he’s the guy calling around talking to people around the league making deals. Stephen? Mcclay? Someone else?
it is jerry. low cost trades that don't hurt the bottom line, and have you seen the fan reaction to signing to 30+ year old players past their prime. its going to sell jersey's and put arses in seats....

don't underestimate jerry

gtb1943

Reaction score
it is jerry. low cost trades that don't hurt the bottom line, and have you seen the fan reaction to signing to 30+ year old players past their prime. its going to sell jersey's and put arses in seats....

don't underestimate jerry
Well I can understand some people being blown away that the clown show is actually taking a little more risk and actually addressing needs with decent players.

Lots of players contribute significantly after their 30th birthday so harping on that is dumb.

And with the roster churn and FA and the Cap, planning for more than 2 or 3 years is frankly obsolete.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The cheapest deals work Roy, but Im happy with the overall talent/cap considerations as an outside observer.
Teams are learning that breaking the bank on FAs is yesterday, this league evolves quickly.
Some teams with required money to spend will still over spend, but his league is evolving into a league where only the best of the best get payed.
Average players are taking up significant cap.
Stupid Franchises are paying, and I dont know where this comes to an end.
Is money and cap no longer a consideration when agents just eat up all cap elevations every single year, so the cap rising is irrelevant because the agents demand more and more?
I worry that some day the NFL exhausts itself and ownerships start parting ways and depleting the league.
Hasn't happened yet, inflation is monumental, enormous contracts continually increasing, how long can this continue without some type of revision on the cap?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mcclay as you wouldn't believe if we told you it was Jerry and Son......... :muttley:

conner01

Reaction score
It’s just the market
It’s not like either team had better offers
Every team knew Cook and Gillmore were on the market. No team offered more
That’s just the way the market works

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones in the lead.

McClay does much of the work.

Stephen reports everything to Jerry and keeps the coaches and scouting department away from Jerry.

It's the next step in Stephen multi-year plan.

1. Promote McClay to the top talent evaluation job (2014).

2. Clean up the cap and improve the drafts.

3. Dump Garrett. He had to wait for the right time because Jerry was attached to Garrett.

4. Hire a legit NFL Head Coach and make him accountable.

Bonus: Hire Dan Quinn. Stephen and McClay wanted to hire Quinn back in 2013 instead of Kiffin/Marinelli.

5. Get to the playoffs more than once before spending in free agency/trades.

6. Fills need before the draft. Take BPA in the draft. Use need to differentiate between similar ranked players.

Their thought process is that at least 1 player they have ranked higher than the 26th best will drop to them at #26.

Bigtex67

Reaction score
reaper-death.jpg
Father Time and the Grim Reaper are undefeated!

Big_D

Reaction score
Man, you have very low standards for monstrous.

All of them together was not as big as either Galloway or TO.

Galloway? That was the stupidest trade of the century. Not monstrous at all, moronic is more like it.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Jerry, Stephen, and family went out on the yacht and left out Jerry JR. Now he’s “wrecking” the team. That’s gotta be it…