Any theories about who is behind the new frugal trades and aggressiveness?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think people forget just how loose and fast to act Jerry used to be. He never had issues making splash trades like Joey Galloway, never had an issue making headlines on draft day to go get his guy, and never had an issue paying a Lario Glover. Go back on forums 10-15 year ago and most of the complaining is about how Jerry is going to waste money, the Cowboys were on the cusp of cap hell, etc.

It really seems like when Stephen stepped into the picture that the Cowboys started to become more conservative with their roster construction, focusing on the draft, signing internal guys first, and placing such a huge emphasis on collecting comp picks.

The Cooks & Gilmore deals feels like a healthy medium between Jerry's wreckless past and Stephens ultra conservative approach.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
reaper-death.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s possible it could be their teams and agents are pursuing us.

Our dysfunctional ownership pretty well makes their interest and intents public knowledge.

And I’m sure as usual our GM is the final word despite whoever is influencing decisions.

I’m certain he’s going to take the credit instead of bestowing it on his son or anyone else . What a guy.
I have no issue if Jerry takes credit or not, god know he takes blame and rightfully so. I do think McCarthy is the major influence and I think winning 12 game back to back seasons is the reason. From not bringing back Moore to Cowboys being more aggressive in the off season. I also think it puts McCarthy in the hot seat to win this coming season. If this team can win big this year there should be enough credit to go around, if they fail then Jerry will take the public heat as always

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing. The obvious would be Big Mike . . . It is a do or die season for Him
Could be....but then again...I don't think he's that smart. Would love to be wrong. Kinda get the feeling it's a collective think tank like the zone... :popcorn:

kskboys

Reaction score
Can’t be Jerry. Doubt he’s the guy calling around talking to people around the league making deals. Stephen? Mcclay? Someone else?
It's actually quite obviously MM. We've been much smarter in FA since he got here. Think about it, we now have S's, and traded for Hankins last year. Tyler Smith, big tough mauler, as opposed to the ballet dancers we usually take.

The back to back 12 win seasons are due strictly to MM.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not really seeing anything different. Yes you had a few mid level trades for older players, but everything else has been the same MO--sign cheap FA and re-sign your own.
We're now pursing S's and DT's and have built a decent D. Monstrous differences.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Could just be cooincidence.

Zeke was so obvious they could not hide any more
Gillmore and Cooks were definitely a step up from most activity but once again not much of a cap hit and later rd picks which is par for the course.

gtb1943

Reaction score
We're now pursing S's and DT's and have built a decent D. Monstrous differences.
ONE DT until something else happens. Far from monstrous. Things like Galloway and TO were monstrous.

kskboys

Reaction score
Could just be cooincidence.

Zeke was so obvious they could not hide any more
Gillmore and Cooks were definitely a step up from most activity but once again not much of a cap hit and later rd picks which is par for the course.
Except now we're getting quality players instead of signing 3 techs to play NT and S's who can't cover/turn. MM effect.

kskboys

Reaction score
ONE DT until something else happens. Far from monstrous. Things like Galloway and TO were monstrous.
Watkins, Hankins, Bohanon, Gallimore. Way more. And then add in our acquisitions of plus pass rushers. Monstrous.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jerry sensed that the fans and sports talkers were calling him an idiot for saying he didn't go all in. He's trying to make some token moves this year to keep the money and attention going. Sad but true. I would say our moves are over, the rest will be done in the draft. shrugs it is what it is, a cheap attempt to make fans believe jerry is going all in.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Could be....but then again...I don't think he's that smart. Would love to be wrong. Kinda get the feeling it's a collective think tank like the zone... :popcorn:
I feel like he has been riding shot gun this whole time (per usual of Cowboy Coaches) but Now after the way the last 2 seasons ended Jerry has allowed Him to have a greater influence

Everything has been very sound . . . The deciding Factor will be How the QB Position is Handled if Dak Falters . . . If Dak is on a Short Leash then All will be Revealed

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Most of these FA were signed last year and fits the same MO of this front office. Taking a chance on low level / low risk players (Hooker, Kearse, etc..) I'd like to hear of these DT were persuing. All have been over the hill (Hankins) or low level, back-up guys (Watkins, etc..)

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
My theory could be true.
Jerry and son are out on his big boat. Someone disabled / scrambled the GPS and they are lost at sea. They will unscramble it after FA and the draft.
They will return to find the have a championship roster, or at least to finally be more competitive for one.
:laugh:
I think Charlotte paid the yacht captain to take them out of cell phone range.
Meanwhile McClay was given the green light!

kskboys

Reaction score
Most of these FA were signed last year and fits the same MO of this front office. Taking a chance on low level / low risk players (Hooker, Kearse, etc..) I'd like to hear of these DT were persuing. All have been over the hill (Hankins) or low level, back-up guys (Watkins, etc..)
We are now signing S's w/ different traits. Guys who can cover. Before MM, all we signed were big hitters.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s possible it could be their teams and agents are pursuing us.

Our dysfunctional ownership pretty well makes their interest and intents public knowledge.

And I’m sure as usual our GM is the final word despite whoever is influencing decisions.

I’m certain he’s going to take the credit instead of bestowing it on his son or anyone else . What a guy.
I got the feeling that the cooks trade has been in the makings for several years.