Any Top CB's next draft?

burmafrd

Reaction score
We are going to have to think about that in a year or two. Henry will be 30 soon, and Newman is 28. And Glenn has one foot in the grave. Reeves looks pretty good; but is he anywhere near the quality of our starters? Untill Romo looked good we were thinking about QB in the first rd; maybe we need to think about CB.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
burmafrd;1135001 said:
We are going to have to think about that in a year or two. Henry will be 30 soon, and Newman is 28. And Glenn has one foot in the grave. Reeves looks pretty good; but is he anywhere near the quality of our starters? Untill Romo looked good we were thinking about QB in the first rd; maybe we need to think about CB.

David Irons- Auburn

ravidubey

Reaction score
We certainly could use a first day corner. Reeves has been good for us, but I agree that it isn't good to have so many corners over 28.

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
If Romo works out then we should just take the BPA. If he doesnt, we need to seriously consider trading into the Quinn sweepstakes or hope that someone like Erik Ainge declares and get him in with our first.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Cornerback in the 3rd round :). Jonathan Wade...

It would be nice to draft a cornerback in the 3rd round and groom him to become the #2 Cornerback once Henrys contract runs out. I believe that its a pretty strong CB draft class...

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
CaptainMorgan;1135009 said:
If Romo works out then we should just take the BPA. If he doesnt, we need to seriously consider trading into the Quinn sweepstakes or hope that someone like Erik Ainge declares and get him in with our first.

I agree. We're at that point where we go BPA in the first. I'd like to see a QB, CB, or OG fall to as that point, but you never know. I'm of the opinion that if the BPA is a QB or a QB...you have to take him, regardless.

burmafrd

Reaction score
While I do not think much of the Pac 10, since it is a pass happy conference I would have to give the edge there to their CB's. Big 12 the exact opposite= outside of TT no one there knows how to pass much anyways. MAC is also pass happy. I want one quick fast one and one big one- just like we have now.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
nah.. Newman and Henry still have plenty of years left.. Reeves is a quality #3 CB.. and CBs don't need that long to develop, so we can wait on them..

I agree with the BPA to an extent.. if Romo works out, you don't draft a QB.. Julius and MBIII are good, you don't draft a RB.. BPA works for positions where there are a lot of starters and need for a lot of depth.. think OL, DL, LB, CB, WR..

more than likely, I see us taking an OL, DT, or WR in the first round next year.. no way do we go with a LB or CB..

burmafrd

Reaction score
Henry only has one or two years before he starts to lose it. Unless you like the thought of starting rookie CB's, we need to start working on it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1135033 said:
Just say no to UT DBs. I will officially start that bandwagon now.

Aaron Ross reminds me of Aaron Glenn. I wouldn't mind if he were a Cowboy if he falls to the 2nd round.

I would say stay away from UT cornerbacks in the first round.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
joseephuss;1135075 said:
Aaron Ross reminds me of Aaron Glenn. I wouldn't mind if he were a Cowboy if he falls to the 2nd round.

I would say stay away from UT cornerbacks in the first round.

I nearly gotta say just stay away from all their defensive players, except for their line. I dunno what it is about that school - but as you get away from their line of scrimmage, the players just always seem to look good, get drafted and then disappear.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1135076 said:
I nearly gotta say just stay away from all their defensive players, except for their line. I dunno what it is about that school - but as you get away from their line of scrimmage, the players just always seem to look good, get drafted and then disappear.

I just think some of their guys got overhyped like Quentin Jammer. He was not a fluid guy. He was mostly a physical corner and didn't have much quickness. He had good straight line speed. You can do well with those skills in college, but the NFL rules really don't favor physical corners. A corner has to do more than just be physical That is why Vasher is doing well. He was more of a speed and quickness type cover guy, which translates better to the NFL.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
joseephuss;1135088 said:
I just think some of their guys got overhyped like Quentin Jammer. He was not a fluid guy. He was mostly a physical corner and didn't have much quickness. He had good straight line speed. You can do well with those skills in college, but the NFL rules really don't favor physical corners. A corner has to do more than just be physical That is why Vasher is doing well. He was more of a speed and quickness type cover guy, which translates better to the NFL.

The guy I try to watch now is Derrick Johnson. I never thought he was the world beater he was made out to be - and I still think that. He's doing OK - he gets a lot of tackles, but I still don't think he was the type of LB who should go where he did.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1135101 said:
The guy I try to watch now is Derrick Johnson. I never thought he was the world beater he was made out to be - and I still think that. He's doing OK - he gets a lot of tackles, but I still don't think he was the type of LB who should go where he did.

I think most 4-3 LBs LBs should not go that high. Especially ones that are not middle LBs.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
joseephuss;1135108 said:
I think most 4-3 LBs LBs should not go that high. Especially ones that are not middle LBs.

Yeah - there were several UT homers on this board who believed we should take this guy instead of Ware. No WOLB in the 4-3 deserves to be taken top 25.

Honestly, and I still believe it, I think that Johnson would be a better SS than OLB. That being said - he isn't a bad OLB, just not a game changer that should be taken in the top 15.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1135033 said:
Just say no to UT DBs. I will officially start that bandwagon now.
But say yes to Baylor ones: Thomas Everett, Ray Crockett, Gary Baxter, Van McElroy. CJ Wilson could be a late round steal.