Any update on Roy's rehab status?

ilovejerry

Reaction score
I Like his bone crushing tackles ( not that I had seen any from him lately ) But maybe I'm old or something I do remember when players broke there arm or wrist they played with a cast ( club ) Its not like he needs to use it other then smashing guys I don't know, just throwing it out there,

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Something tells me there will be a first day draft pick will be spent on a strong safety next year..

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Vinnie2u;2285085 said:
Something tells me there will be a first day draft pick will be spent on a strong safety next year..

Something tells you wrong.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Such joy displayed about one of our players being hurt.

What great fans.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
zrinkill;2285098 said:
Such joy displayed about one of our players being hurt.

What great fans.

Hey I like the guy, I just wondered why he doesnt have a cast on and why he's not out there. Makes no sense to me. On the other hand see how Tony went to Crayton after that drop...Hmmmmmm, Him I will dog all day everyday,,,if you must know...

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Idgit;2284772 said:
Interesting to see if this thread resurfaces the first time Watkins gets burned on a double move. I'm dying to find out which posters will be the ones to turn on him first. The suspense is just *killing* me.

To get burned is normal. To get burned as often, and tackle as poorly as Roy does is specific to Roy Williams only. His tackling technique is abysmal. I cringe every time he has to tackle a player one on one. Back when he was a rookie, I used to look forward to his tremendous hits (which used to make the ESPN "Jacked Up" list all the time).

Truth is that Roy body tackles too often, and doesn't wrap up the guy with the ball. I don't mind if the safety gets burned, but you at least need to know how to tackle.

Much has been made of Roy playing closer to the Line of Scrimmage. So what? He's going to miss tackles anyway.

I think we're better without him.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dallas every player they have on the roster. Depth is important and Roy is a good player.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jrumann59;2284556 said:
Except Watkins still hasn't learned to tackle right because after every tackle he has to come off the field because he hurt himself. I can't wait for RW to get back, at least he has the reps and the D can use the whole playbook,

Watkins got hurt when the Packer player clipped him in the back, which was not flagged.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It is going to be hard for Roy to get his job back from Henry. Henry played some safety on Sunday. Look for Henry to be moved there full time.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Hamlin sitting the bench a little based on his play so far.

Maybe the Cowboys would be better going with 4/5 CBs, 3/4 LBs and 3 DL. I'm serious. Newman/Pacman/Henry/Jenkins/Scandrick can cover the pass and the 3 or 4 LBs and 3 DL should handle the run.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
joseephuss;2285229 said:
Dallas every player they have on the roster. Depth is important and Roy is a good player.

Good isn't enough. This team is destined to be great. He needs to learn to tackle or go back to petting poodles full time.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don Corleone;2285209 said:
To get burned is normal. To get burned as often, and tackle as poorly as Roy does is specific to Roy Williams only. His tackling technique is abysmal. I cringe every time he has to tackle a player one on one. Back when he was a rookie, I used to look forward to his tremendous hits (which used to make the ESPN "Jacked Up" list all the time).

Truth is that Roy body tackles too often, and doesn't wrap up the guy with the ball. I don't mind if the safety gets burned, but you at least need to know how to tackle.

Much has been made of Roy playing closer to the Line of Scrimmage. So what? He's going to miss tackles anyway.

I think we're better without him.

Let's agree not to engage in a Roy Williams debate, ok?

My point is just that the support for Watkins will last exactly until it appears he's been burned or until he makes the kind of mistake that SSs make all the time. At that point the steeley knives come out and start flashing until someone suggests that it's Jerry Jones' fault for not fixing the strong safety problem in the first place. That mantra will lull the beasties to sleep until something else unrelated pokes them and gets them to start gnawing on their own limbs again, at which point the process repeats itself until a Superbowl is won and everyon can start patting themselves on the back because, of course, we all knew it was bound to happen all along.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
RW is so horribly terrible in coverage. I love the guy but good grief, who can honestly say they're more comfortable with him back there. He's a starting safety who's removed in passing situations? That's ridiculous. His hip and lateral movement is horrific.

Who remembers the skins first TD to cooley at Texas Stadium last year? He's playing an outside technique when there was really no threat to the outside and Cooley breaks right inside for perhaps the easiest TD of his life. Roy is sitting there waiving his arms and complaining as if someone missed an assignment? That was your guy Roy! Also, deep in our territory (same game) it's a critical 4th and 5 and Roy inexplicably loses Cooley again. Was he playing zone with everyone else in man? It was just too easy of a completion.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One upside to the RW injury, we'll get to see if his absence really does improve secondary play. The pillar of support for RW in coverage is that the plays given up often weren't his responsibility. There's no reason to think those lapses will go away with Pat Watkins on the field.

THEHEREAFTER;2285382 said:
RW is so horribly terrible in coverage. I love the guy but good grief, who can honestly say they're more comfortable with him back there. He's a starting safety who's removed in passing situations? That's ridiculous. His hip and lateral movement is horrific.

Who remembers the skins first TD to cooley at Texas Stadium last year? He's playing an outside technique when there was really no threat to the outside and Cooley breaks right inside for perhaps the easiest TD of his life. Roy is sitting there waiving his arms and complaining as if someone missed an assignment? That was your guy Roy! Also, deep in our territory (same game) it's a critical 4th and 5 and Roy inexplicably loses Cooley again. Was he playing zone with everyone else in man? It was just too easy of a completion.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2284502 said:
Seventy-four yards on 16 attempts is 4.63 yards per carry.

And if Roy would have been present, it would have been right around 4.63 YPC. IOW, Roy is completely ineffective.

He was getting smoked in the run game as much as ever prior to breaking his arm.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Idgit;2285423 said:
One upside to the RW injury, we'll get to see if his absence really does improve secondary play. The pillar of support for RW in coverage is that the plays given up often weren't his responsibility. There's no reason to think those lapses will go away with Pat Watkins on the field.

I think there is a little more to the RW disappointment than that. It isn't just the coverage lapses, it is the tackling lapses, the salary he makes and the lack of big plays which defined Williams early in his career.

I'm not expecting much out of Watkins, but I'd like to see if they move Henry back there more

AbeBeta

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2284458 said:
do we really need him?

Roy is head and shoulders better than Watkins and Brown. Roy may not be the player that I want him to be but he's an upgrade over who we have replacing him by a wide wide margin.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;2285382 said:
Also, deep in our territory (same game) it's a critical 4th and 5 and Roy inexplicably loses Cooley again. Was he playing zone with everyone else in man? It was just too easy of a completion.

Everyone was playing zone on that play.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Well see how we do against Washington. If we limit them to just field goals than Im going to get a bit suspicious on our improved pass defense. Honestly, I could care less for Roy. I'm tired of those long bombs that succeed all the time when his in the game. Our improved pass defense lately might be just mere coincidence. But if he comes back and we get torched for a bomb which he slowly trails the receiver, than I'm all for Roy being replaced by someone who can cover deep. So far, my take on him is that he can't cover and a lot of you here probably think the same.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vinnie2u;2285085 said:
That wouldn't surprise me at all.