Any update on Roy's rehab status?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;2285382 said:
His hip and lateral movement is horrific.

Sure it is. He's got bigger hips than Aunt Jemima. The bigger they are, the harder they are to move.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2285587 said:

Thanks.. None of the SS on the roster support the run very well. That includes RW.. Watkins, Henry and Brown are FS's Playing SS and Killer Keith is special teams player.. Was hoping that Safety from Syracuse made the roster..

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk;2285466 said:
I think there is a little more to the RW disappointment than that. It isn't just the coverage lapses, it is the tackling lapses, the salary he makes and the lack of big plays which defined Williams early in his career.

I'm not expecting much out of Watkins, but I'd like to see if they move Henry back there more

See, this is the stuff that drives me nuts. Roy does a pretty good job tackling in general and he's absolutely a force in the box.

The salary he makes doesn't impact fans in any way. That's just a trojan horse for saying they're disappointed that he has met their early expectations. That's a fine thing to be disappointed about, but it's not an excuse to disregard reality when evaluating him as a player.

In any event, at least the long-running debate about Roy's abilities v. coverage lapses by they entire secondary is about to be answered. Your right that the first time Watkins gets burned the chorus will shift to moving Henry to safety before it switched to blaming Jerry Jones. I'd forgotten about that important extra step.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Idgit;2285604 said:
See, this is the stuff that drives me nuts. Roy does a pretty good job tackling in general and he's absolutely a force in the box.

This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts, he's a force in the box? Since when, 2005?

He has six tackles in two games this year, 4 solo. Watkins had eight, including 7 solo in the first two games. Never mind a guy like Hamlin, who had 12, including 10 solo in the first two games.

Roy is not active, he is not effective, he is worthless (actually with his contract, he's less than worthless, he has negative worth to this team). And considering how soft he has become, do you expect him to be better after breaking his arm?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboys2233;2285664 said:
This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts, he's a force in the box? Since when, 2005?

He has six tackles in two games this year, 4 solo. Watkins had eight, including 7 solo in the first two games. Never mind a guy like Hamlin, who had 12, including 10 solo in the first two games.

Roy is not active, he is not effective, he is worthless (actually with his contract, he's less than worthless, he has negative worth to this team). And considering how soft he has become, do you expect him to be better after breaking his arm?

Yeah, but I thought we'd already established that you don't know what it is you're looking at when you watch the silver and blue things making pretty patterns on the television box?

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
jrumann59;2284556 said:
Except Watkins still hasn't learned to tackle right because after every tackle he has to come off the field because he hurt himself. I can't wait for RW to get back, at least he has the reps and the D can use the whole playbook,

Come on, I'd rather see Watkins take a play off and come back on than watching RoyW (dough boy) run around in the secondary with a target on his back and getting toasted. When Watkins came out or when he was in, I didn't seem him being picked on. The defense was better with out him.

Also, Watkins has been here for three years; I think he knows the playbook. RW probably broke his forearm throwing a shoulder tackle to the wind.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;2285098 said:
Such joy displayed about one of our players being hurt.

What great fans.

Yea it makes me sick to my stomach it's even worse that they call themselves cowboys fans.

Idgit;2285356 said:
Let's agree not to engage in a Roy Williams debate, ok?

My point is just that the support for Watkins will last exactly until it appears he's been burned or until he makes the kind of mistake that SSs make all the time. At that point the steeley knives come out and start flashing until someone suggests that it's Jerry Jones' fault for not fixing the strong safety problem in the first place. That mantra will lull the beasties to sleep until something else unrelated pokes them and gets them to start gnawing on their own limbs again, at which point the process repeats itself until a Superbowl is won and everyon can start patting themselves on the back because, of course, we all knew it was bound to happen all along.

IDK the other safeties don't get enough hype or publicity nor where they drafted in the first round like RW and not getting the money so they mistakes are okay and they don't fall under the same criticism but I just think its silly and a lot of the people that bash RW have no clue as to what they are talking about nor can they provide anything to discredit him or his play. It makes be nice to be narrow minded and just go off the defense I saw etc etc etc

I like how no one is crying about any of the players in the secondary after that bomb to Driver.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2286005 said:
Yea it makes me sick to my stomach it's even worse that they call themselves cowboys fans.

So, are you or zrinkill going to show me the post that expresses joy over Roy's injury, or are you just whining for the heck of it?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Idgit;2285604 said:
When? In 2006? When was the last time he had a TFL or a sack? Those are two pretty good indicators of someone who is a "force in the box".

I see him bouncing off players when he fails to wrap up and getting stiff armed to the turf and don't immediately think "force in the box".

The salary he makes doesn't impact fans in any way. That's just a trojan horse for saying they're disappointed that he has met their early expectations. That's a fine thing to be disappointed about, but it's not an excuse to disregard reality when evaluating him as a player.
Sure, it affects us. If you pay a big salary to a player that is being schemed out of situations because of liabilities, it limits the amount of money that can be spent on other positions. If a player is being paid as a top safety, he should perform as a top safety.

In any event, at least the long-running debate about Roy's abilities v. coverage lapses by they entire secondary is about to be answered. Your right that the first time Watkins gets burned the chorus will shift to moving Henry to safety before it switched to blaming Jerry Jones. I'd forgotten about that important extra step.
Roy Williams is a supposed Pro Bowl player....but the team schemed the defense to get the guy off the field. He's a disappointment and I can't believe people fail to realize that.

What'd he do of note prior to getting hurt?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk;2286078 said:
When? In 2006? When was the last time he had a TFL or a sack? Those are two pretty good indicators of someone who is a "force in the box".

I see him bouncing off players when he fails to wrap up and getting stiff armed to the turf and don't immediately think "force in the box".

Sure, it affects us. If you pay a big salary to a player that is being schemed out of situations because of liabilities, it limits the amount of money that can be spent on other positions. If a player is being paid as a top safety, he should perform as a top safety.

Roy Williams is a supposed Pro Bowl player....but the team schemed the defense to get the guy off the field. He's a disappointment and I can't believe people fail to realize that.

What'd he do of note prior to getting hurt?

No interest in getting into another RW debate in this thread. Let's just agree to disagree, and the only clarification I'll make is that he's not a 'supposed probowl player.' He IS a probowl safety, or at least he was last year. That may or may not mean anything, but it's a matter of fact and not opinion.