Anybody else stunned we can't even fluke into a NFCG appearance?

Rayman70

Reaction score
ITS 99% ABOUT DEFENSE. Look at each remaining playoff team. Its a common trait each team has. GOOD D. Offense puts fannies in the seats and wins the regular season, but great D and balanced O wins Titles. WITHOUT FAIL. Its not easy or simple. Most coaches never understand this..they stubbornly keep trying to get players to adapt to THEM...instead of the coaches adapting to the players. That's why I love Vrabel. The guy gets it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Very depressing. The Titans are hot now, and SF was rested and Minny looked tired. SF was awesome all year too. They beat GB by 30 and took Balty to the wire in Balty. Shanny can coach.

Collinsworth said it best.....had Seattle had scored when they stopped them on the one foot line in the last game, they win the division...that means they had a home game, and NO’s had a bye, and SF no HFA. Funny how things work out.

And the Titans look like the Cowboys on a budget but the difference is they don’t do things to beat themselves like we do.

UncleOscar

Reaction score
It cannot be overstated enough the harm Jerry did to this franchise holding on to Garrett for this long. There were several opportunities to dump Garrett over the years and get guys like Vrabel or Shanahan. This team didn't need a HOF head coach, they just needed a slight upgrade and we would have ended the NFCCG streak by now. It just sucks he waited until all the players are due for big contracts to finally get a new HC.

Right^^^^here says it all. Everybody ragged on Garrett, deservedly so, but Jerry is the real culprit responsible for the continued mediocrity. Jerry is the one who hired the incompetent defensive coaches. Jerry is the one who let Jason hire Linehan. Jerry is the one who gave out bad contracts. Jerry is the one who signed the free agents with baggage. Jerry is the one who had the final say on a lot of horrible draft picks for years. Jerry is the one who created the culture where the players answer to him, not the head coach.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
good thread, yes, 4 teams out of 32 make it to a conference championship game. So pull out a D-8 and roll an 8.

1 out of every 8 years if all teams were equal, right?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Build a strong defense and it will happen.....simple as that.

We should’ve had a strong defense this year but somehow they messed that up..

Who would’ve thought Jaylon would turn into a reckless clown of a player.

Fixing Jaylon Smith needs to be one of our top priorities.

Aven8

Reaction score
And the Titans look like the Cowboys on a budget but the difference is they don’t do things to beat themselves like we do.

Very impressed by Vrabel. My hope is Mike doesn’t think he needs the best of the best at every position like JG did. Spread the wealth out.

Aven8

Reaction score
We should’ve had a strong defense this year but somehow they messed that up..

Who would’ve thought Jaylon would turn into a reckless clown of a player.

Fixing Jaylon Smith needs to be one of our top priorities.

I’ve said it a couple of times, but the Co DC thing was a disaster! Our secondary and LB’s all regressed. No one got better. Not one player.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Very impressed by Vrabel. My hope is Mike doesn’t think he needs the best of the best at every position like JG did. Spread the wealth out.

I’m cheering for them and the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl.

Anyone but the 9ers or Packers.. The Packers winning the Super Bowl after firing McCarthy would be a big yikes IMO.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m cheering for them and the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl.

Anyone but the 9ers or Packers.. The Packers winning the Super Bowl after firing McCarthy would be a big yikes IMO.

I agree. I want KC because of my boy Mahomes, but Henry is hot right now. Reminds me of when Ohio St rode Zeke to the NC. GB wins and I will be sick. I can handle SF as that’s kind of a screw you to Jerry. 49ers were 4-12 last year for crying out loud and got the baddest dude out there, Bosa. Sickening

Staubacher

Reaction score
Vrabel and Tannehill accomplished last night what 6 head coaches and 21 starting QBs haven't been able to do as Cowboys in 24 years.

Thanks, Jerry.
Yup. And Dak/Romo/Bledsoe all better than Tannehill

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
I mean the Niners were giving away tix to their home games just three years ago.

The Titans just made it to the AFCCG with their quarterback completely SEVEN passes.

It bothers me that this team with all the great players over the last decade plus couldn't even just luck into an appearance in the conference title game. Just an appearance is all I'm asking for at this point. I just don't get it.
I'm not stunned at all. It's not an accident that the Cowboys haven't reached a NFCCG in 24 years and counting.

We all know the reason why as well.

The Cowboys (Jerry Jones) have chosen to run the organization in a manner that's not conducive to winning. Go down the list....there is not a single team who runs their operations like the Cowboys, other than Al Davis' Raiders in 2001 & 2002, who have seen that management style pay off with a deep playoff run.

kskboys

Reaction score
I mean the Niners were giving away tix to their home games just three years ago.

The Titans just made it to the AFCCG with their quarterback completely SEVEN passes.

It bothers me that this team with all the great players over the last decade plus couldn't even just luck into an appearance in the conference title game. Just an appearance is all I'm asking for at this point. I just don't get it.
Niners and Titans have two of the best DLines in the NFL w/ a ferocious interior pass rush that is the great equalizer. We trade up for CB's and give away draft picks for WR's.

Remember a few years ago when the Niners made a super bowl appearance w/ a great D? Well, in 08, while we were chasing Pacman, SF signed.....drumroll.......Justin Smith.

It's their blueprint, their plan, that is so much better than ours. It's not flash that wins, it's toughness in the trenches.

cml750

Reaction score
When your team employs crap coaches you should always expect crap results. Thankfully the crap has been flushed like it should have been at least eight years ago. We have a proven coach with actual skins on the wall now.

Oneiros

Reaction score

It just goes to show that coaching matters, and that in the case of the 9ers they were able to achieve this type of success semi-recently with two different coaches.

It also doesn't hurt from the rebuilding perspective that when that team tanks they tank hard. It amazes me that a few years after being one of the top teams with Harbaugh that they were able to add an elite playmaker like Bosa to their team.