Anybody see Mel Kipers mock?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I looked at his top 16 that's all they would show but it looked horrible....Anyone else see it?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Ya Mel Kiper is so garbage..I looked at his final mock draft the past 5 years and they arnt even close.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
Nobody's mock drafts are ever close, primarily because a single trade can ruin the way the entire thing plays out.

Kiper is, as much as it pains me to say it about an ESPN personality, an absolute beast at what he does, which is remembering and identifying key characteristics and commentary on every player in the draft, through to the 7th round. His ability to "blah blah blah" extemporaneously about Joe Schmo Linebacker prospect in Round 7 is uncanny.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2596194 said:
Nobody's mock drafts are ever close, primarily because a single trade can ruin the way the entire thing plays out.

Kiper is, as much as it pains me to say it about an ESPN personality, an absolute beast at what he does, which is remembering and identifying key characteristics and commentary on every player in the draft, through to the 7th round. His ability to "blah blah blah" extemporaneously about Joe Schmo Linebacker prospect in Round 7 is uncanny.

Well it's what he does all year. I don't think he'd even bother with a mock draft if he wasn't obligated to do it. No one understand better than Kiper than mocks are useless, but when you're the "draft expert", you have to do one.

He knows something about just about every player in the draft though.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I could easily do what Kiper does...He looks at tapes and throws a mock draft together with his eyes closed. I want his job.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2596265 said:
I could easily do what Kiper does...He looks at tapes and throws a mock draft together with his eyes closed. I want his job.

Nah, you don't have the hair for it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2596274 said:
I could..let me grow my hair out and hand me 10 cans of hairspray.

Just 10? Well I guess that's a start.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2596194 said:

please...anybody that spent 24-7-365 on nothing but the draft could EASILY do the same thing.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2596403 said:
please...anybody that spent 24-7-365 on nothing but the draft could EASILY do the same thing.

I seriously doubt that he spends that much time on this...I think he just big ups big school prospects.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2596757 said:
I seriously doubt that he spends that much time on this...I think he just big ups big school prospects.

Actually, back when I subscribed to his draft guide (before I had a computer), I had a number of occasions to call his office about one issue or another... probably half the time, Mel himself ended up picking up the phone... on one occasion, we started talking football, and in about 5 minutes he asked for my phone number, told me to hang up and he'd call me right back... said he didn't want to keep me on the phone long distance on my dime... he called back, and we probably talked for another 20 minutes...

Simply put, I think he's a heck of a guy, and he loves his job... but I get better draft info on the web these days...

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;2597219 said:
Actually, back when I subscribed to his draft guide (before I had a computer), I had a number of occasions to call his office about one issue or another... probably half the time, Mel himself ended up picking up the phone... on one occasion, we started talking football, and in about 5 minutes he asked for my phone number, told me to hang up and he'd call me right back... said he didn't want to keep me on the phone long distance on my dime... he called back, and we probably talked for another 20 minutes...

Simply put, I think he's a heck of a guy, and he loves his job... but I get better draft info on the web these days...

I dont think anyone is questioning his charachter as a human being..he's just wrong ALOT

silverbear

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2597232 said:
I dont think anyone is questioning his charachter as a human being..he's just wrong ALOT

Uhhh, my point was that Mel seems to put in an awful lot of time on the job, based on my personal experience... the rest was just an unrelated anecdote about the guy...

I don't rely on ANY draft guru to tell me where a certain player might go, I just want an analysis of the player's strengths and weaknesses... from there, I try to figure out the player's draft value by finding what a consensus of draft gurus thinks on the subject...

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;2597265 said:
Uhhh, my point was that Mel seems to put in an awful lot of time on the job, based on my personal experience... the rest was just an unrelated anecdote about the guy...

I don't rely on ANY draft guru to tell me where a certain player might go, I just want an analysis of the player's strengths and weaknesses... from there, I try to figure out the player's draft value by finding what a consensus of draft gurus thinks on the subject...

Word...

but he's getting paid to do that..we just do it for fun..pretty sweet deal for him eh?

silverbear

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2597275 said:
Word...

but he's getting paid to do that..we just do it for fun..pretty sweet deal for him eh?

Yeah, I'd take a job like that... problem is, I don't have the hair... :D