Anyone else agree with using 10 personnel as the base offense?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

It's literally the easiest personnel grouping to establish the run out of.

Ram's used 10 personnel more than any other team. The results? The #1 overall rushing DVOA.

That chart shows how inefficient it is. Sometimes it works for big plays, but sometimes it doesn't. It is literally the easiest to blow up too.

The numbers are also skewed because teams do things like run out of it on 3rd and 15 just to get into better punt or FG position. It's not like they are running out of it on 3rd and 3.

The Rams were a good run team because they run when they have favorable boxes, which you can get when you have a good passing attack. Make no mistakes, LA is a pass-first team.

And its 11 personnel that they always use, not 10.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I think Witten is fine. He is a good blocker, which is very important. Its what the other two young guys couldn't do even remotely correct last year.

How could either get into a groove with the stupid rotation? The coaching continue to do certain things all wrong.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
m,,

Ram's used 10 personnel more than any other team. The results? The #1 overall rushing DVOA.

Very interesting stat. Difference is that they have Mcvay and we have Garrett. Mcvay is a master of making you think one thing and doing the other. Garrett is the master of nothing. He simply lines up doing the exact same things from the exact formations all the time.

Its why coaching is so important. We should definitely be using more 10 personnel.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
As long as we're mixing up personnel and play calling I'm happy.
and for god's sake when you get a defensive matchup that is favorable, runs some tempo & do not substitute offensive personnel. make the other team make a decision as to whether to call a timeout to change personnel or watch you score.

BB will beat your brains in if he catches you offbalance. Half the time we do something stupid to give away the advantage without inflicting any real pain on the opponent.

DanA

Reaction score
I want us to use more variety but 11 personnel as always should be the base. Split something like:
11: 50%
12: 25%
21: 15%
10: 8%
Other: 2%

I look at the depth chart and think if we want to put our best players on the field then it’s probably happening in 12 or 21 personnel more so than 10. I see Pollard/Jarwin as better and more versatile options than our WR at the bottom of the roster.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
As long as the offense isn’t obvious in what they’re doing I’ll be happy. Drove me crazy the last few seasons where everyone in the stadium knew what was about to happen.
They got too specific by personnel groups. For example, if Noah Brown was in, you could bet on run and even if you guessed wrong, it was not like he would kill you. If Beasley was in, they were not running anywhere near him.

It is encouraging they are looking at running the same plays out of different alignments. Now comes getting the right personnel to do that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

10 Personnel (4 WRs, 1 RB) 2018
The Cowboys tied for 4th most in terms of using 10 personnel in 2018.

The Rams were near the bottom in terms of using 10 personnel with only 4 total snaps in 2018 from 10 personnel.

Teams that used 10 personnel the most in 2018
DET
BAL
JAX
TB
CLE

11 Personnel ((3 WRs, 1 RB, 1 TE) 2018
The Rams were #1 in terms of using 11 personnel in 2018. They used 11 personnel on 89% of their offensive snaps.

The Cowboys were 15th in terms of using 11 personnel in 2018 (66%).

Rams
11 . . . . . 89%
12 . . . . . 8%
all others . . . . . 1% or less (each)

Rams
11 . . . . . 89%
12 . . . . . 8%

Cowboys
11 . . . . . 66%
12 . . . . . 15%
21 . . . . . 7%
13 . . . . . 4%
22 . . . . . 4%
10 . . . . . 3%

Patriots
11 . . . . . 56%
12 . . . . . 5%
21 . . . . . 28%
13 . . . . . 0%
22 . . . . . 8%

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The Rams don't mix up personnel.
Rams
11 . . . . . 89%
12 . . . . . 8%
Mixing up personnel doesn't necessarily mean changing personnel. You can line Shultz out wide and put Cooper in the slot. Or put Zeke in the slot and let Gallup run a route out of the backfield. WR's on linebackers is a win for the offense, all day long.

Mr_437

Reaction score
10 Personnel (4 WRs, 1 RB) 2018
The Cowboys tied for 4th most in terms of using 10 personnel in 2018.

The Rams were near the bottom in terms of using 10 personnel with only 4 total snaps in 2018 from 10 personnel.

Teams that used 10 personnel the most in 2018
DET
BAL
JAX
TB
CLE

11 Personnel ((3 WRs, 1 RB, 1 TE) 2018
The Rams were #1 in terms of using 11 personnel in 2018. They used 11 personnel on 89% of their offensive snaps.

The Cowboys were 15th in terms of using 11 personnel in 2018 (66%).

Rams
11 . . . . . 89%
12 . . . . . 8%

Rams
11 . . . . . 89%
12 . . . . . 8%

Cowboys
11 . . . . . 66%
12 . . . . . 15%
21 . . . . . 7%
13 . . . . . 4%
22 . . . . . 4%
10 . . . . . 3%

Patriots
11 . . . . . 56%
12 . . . . . 5%
21 . . . . . 28%
13 . . . . . 0%
22 . . . . . 8%
This is clutch, right here...X for the win.
I think 21 percentage will increase and cause matchup issues for defenses.
Maybe Kellen "Flavor" Moore could get more out of 12...that would help.
Overall, still don't see a lot 10 happening.

Although, Dak is Warren Moon like, so he could get his run n gun on.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You'll literally never establish a run game out of 10, because there will always be an unblocked LB. Teams will just give a single-high look and fill gaps with 5 defenders, allowing 1 to run free.

It doesn't matter if it is only a 6-man box if there's only 5 blockers.
10 personnel would allow the Offense to make it more pass-happy by being able to spread it open and use its added receiving weapons and speed, all while allowing the Offense to run more draws, quick pitches, traps or counters to Zeke.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is clutch, right here...X for the win.
I think 21 percentage will increase and cause matchup issues for defenses.
Maybe Kellen "Flavor" Moore could get more out of 12...that would help.
Overall, still don't see a lot 10 happening.

Although, Dak is Warren Moon like, so he could get his run n gun on.

Unfortunately FB is not distinguished from RB in the personnel designations.

I'm curious to know how often teams use a 2nd true RB like Pollards role in Memphis.

The other thing that's a bit misleading is that the Rams backup TE plays a fair amount of snaps but he seems more like a big WR at 6-3, 239, 4.59 forty. If he was considered a WR, the Rams would be at about 97% 11 personnel.