Anyone Else Get The Feeling Mazi has a Little Micah in Him?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Athleticism scores aside, no comparison. Micah's tape showed he was the best player in his draft, regardless of position. Mazi's showed some traits that indicated that he can develop into a really good player, but far from a finished product. I like Mazi, but to say it's a stretch to put him in any conversation with Micah is an understatement.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Nope. Not at all. We didn’t know what Micah was until he stepped on to that field. Far too early to know what Mazi is. If Mazi is a young Hanskins in the making we will take that and be happy.
No we wont. Mazi has the potential to be far more than what Hankins is.

Mannix

Reaction score
When I first read the title of the thread, I honestly thought it meant that Mazi could be socially annoying too.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Athleticism scores aside, no comparison. Micah's tape showed he was the best player in his draft, regardless of position. Mazi's showed some traits that indicated that he can develop into a really good player, but far from a finished product. I like Mazi, but to say it's a stretch to put him in any conversation with Micah is an understatement.
The OP was talking about measurables. Athleticism. How that can translate to the NFL.

Mazi wasnt used in college like he will be here.

And it really comes down to if he wants to play. Play hard. Learn. Endure the grind. He has the ability.

But want to is the unknown. As it is with any draft pick. Are they happy to get that big payday and then just shut it down.

We all assume that these guys are stoked to be in the NFL and will do whatever it takes to be great. Just not the case. Football is a beating. I think some of these guys simply look at getting drafted as a final payday for playing ball so long. They are just done with it.

T-RO

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking: He's big enough to have a little Micah in him.
:laugh:

I am coming around to it now.
Mazi ate Micah's Mini Me.

minime.jpg

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
That 9.99 RAS score is way off.

The testing numbers used to generate that score were taken from Bruce Feldman's Freak List article. I don't know where Feldman got them from - I'm guessing the UMich S&C staff or from Mazi himself. No doubt that workout numbers given to an offseason "Freak List" hype piece article are going to be optimistic, personal best type stuff... that's what everybody involved wants to see. But they didn't end up close to his Pro Day numbers.

His Freak-Listed 44" vert would blow away the all-time record for a defensive lineman by like another 6 inches. His Pro Day vert was 29", which was a fairly pedestrian 65th percentile.

His broad wasn't as egregious, but it was given as an 87th percentile 9'4" and ended up being a 60th percentile 8'11". That one's more believable, but it isn't freaky either. It's also pretty average for an NFL DT.

Bottom line is, Mazi either underwhelmed Feldman's Freak List numbers for him or left them unverified. He was hyped to be a Micah type athlete, but the concrete numbers we have on him say he's got average starter tools.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

The testing numbers used to generate that score were taken from Bruce Feldman's Freak List article. I don't know where Feldman got them from - I'm guessing the UMich S&C staff or from Mazi himself. No doubt that workout numbers given to an offseason "Freak List" hype piece article are going to be optimistic, personal best type stuff... that's what everybody involved wants to see. But they didn't end up close to his Pro Day numbers.

His Freak-Listed 44" vert would blow away the all-time record for a defensive lineman by like another 6 inches. His Pro Day vert was 29", which was a fairly pedestrian 65th percentile.

His broad wasn't as egregious, but it was given as an 87th percentile 9'4" and ended up being a 60th percentile 8'11". That one's more believable, but it isn't freaky either. It's also pretty average for an NFL DT.

Bottom line is, Mazi either underwhelmed Feldman's Freak List numbers for him or left them unverified. He was hyped to be a Micah type athlete, but the concrete numbers we have on him say he's got average starter tools.
This is accurate. He didn’t actually have an RAS Score of 9.99. His actual numbers were way below that article.

He is an athletic guy for someone his size, and he has plenty of athleticism to have an impact at his position… but 9.99 is fantasy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We’ll find out what he has in him when camp and preseason starts.

BlindFaith

Reaction score

Thanks for that. Really informative.

I really wish all these guys would workout at the combine. Level playing field and consistent measurements.

Or have setups at pro days that mimic the combine. How hard would it be to setup a laser to time the forty?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
They're not going to pair him with Hankins. Maybe on 3rd/4th and 1 or less.