Anyone else in the Tampa area for the hurricane?

rags747

Reaction score
Sarasota Bradenton area, first one for us as well, have been down here from NY since Aug 2019. House is all glass on a golf course so no break from the wind! Will start bringing stuff inside tomorrow, will drain pool about 6” tomorrow. Have reservations at a big hotel starting tomorrow night through Friday but think we are going to ride this out. Stay safe, hopefully it misses us!

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Sarasota Bradenton area, first one for us as well, have been down here from NY since Aug 2019. House is all glass on a golf course so no break from the wind! Will start bringing stuff inside tomorrow, will drain pool about 6” tomorrow. Have reservations at a big hotel starting tomorrow night through Friday but think we are going to ride this out. Stay safe, hopefully it misses us!
Are you going to put up hurricane shutters? I'm trying to decide if we need to. We're in North Port.

rags747

Reaction score
Are you going to put up hurricane shutters? I'm trying to decide if we need to. We're in North Port.
No, as we do not have them! We have 16 sliders facing the pool and golf course so it will be interesting to see how this all works out. It seems that North Port is kinda of at the edge of the expected action. If I had them I would probably put them on. Tomorrow would seem to be the last day that you will be able to do this.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
No, as we do not have them! We have 16 sliders facing the pool and golf course so it will be interesting to see how this all works out. It seems that North Port is kinda of at the edge of the expected action. If I had them I would probably put them on. Tomorrow would seem to be the last day that you will be able to do this.
Yeah, I probably will put them up. I managed to find gas and oil for the generator so really all I have to do besides that is drain the pool some. Wishing you and others affected by this storm the best.

John813

Reaction score
Are you by the coast or further inland?

They are predicting 10ft+ storm surges from Ian. And it looks like it will slow down as it passes the west coast, so it may be a huge rain maker.

rags747

Reaction score
Yeah, I probably will put them up. I managed to find gas and oil for the generator so really all I have to do besides that is drain the pool some. Wishing you and others affected by this storm the best.
Ha, good stuff! I brought my 10k generator from NY that I bought after Hurricane Sandy but have never had it hard wired into my panels here as it’s not powerful enough to run A/C so figured why bother. Now I realize that I should have had it all set up to at least power the whole house plus refrigerator but I will be without it for this one. Something I will definitely look into after this one. We will keep our fingers crossed that we all make it out of this with minimal damage. Good luck to everyone!

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are many new Floridians who haven’t experienced a hurricane before. I have been through many in Texas and lost a lot of valuables over the years.

This one doesn’t appear to be a big one, just an average that might hit cat 4 but unlikely. Hunker down unless you are in a specific flood zone, if so, get out early due to traffic.

Some tips:

Have all vehicles full of gas
Get extra bottled water and batteries
Fill bathtub up with water for emergency use
Stock food for 2-3 weeks(non-perishable)
Power will most likely be out for awhile
Put patio furniture in pool if you have one
Move important stuff/furniture upstairs if two-story home.
If one story, get some sawhorses and plywood…..stack items on them in case of water
Board windows up if able
Be prepared for looters when the storm passes
Go enjoy the beach before it approaches if close enough, it is amazing :cool:

rags747

Reaction score
There are many new Floridians who haven’t experienced a hurricane before. I have been through many in Texas and lost a lot of valuables over the years.

This one doesn’t appear to be a big one, just an average that might hit cat 4 but unlikely. Hunker down unless you are in a specific flood zone, if so, get out early due to traffic.

Some tips:

Have all vehicles full of gas
Get extra bottled water and batteries
Fill bathtub up with water for emergency use
Stock food for 2-3 weeks(non-perishable)
Power will most likely be out for awhile
Put patio furniture in pool if you have one
Move important stuff/furniture upstairs if two-story home.
If one story, get some sawhorses and plywood…..stack items on them in case of water
Board windows up if able
Be prepared for looters when the storm passes
Go enjoy the beach before it approaches if close enough, it is amazing :cool:
Pretty much agree with all you say. Pulled in 3 outdoor patio sets and umbrellas today, freaking 12 chairs and 4 high top chair for bar. Everything is now inside, sweated my you know what’s off! Tomorrow will drain the pool about 5 inches or so, cars loaded up with gas although only one would be used in a storm and one is electric which is charging up now to 90%. Probably use the electric car as the hotel that we have reserved is only about 15 miles away and it sits much higher that my gas vehicle, hotel we may cancel tomorrow night that is for Wed through Fri. Thx for the tips!

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pretty much agree with all you say. Pulled in 3 outdoor patio sets and umbrellas today, freaking 12 chairs and 4 high top chair for bar. Everything is now inside, sweated my you know what’s off! Tomorrow will drain the pool about 5 inches or so, cars loaded up with gas although only one would be used in a storm and one is electric which is charging up now to 90%. Probably use the electric car as the hotel that we have reserved is only about 15 miles away and it sits much higher that my gas vehicle, hotel we may cancel tomorrow night that is for Wed through Fri. Thx for the tips!

Be careful draining the pool. Saturated soil could shift and cause a crack or two. I learned that the hard way…..

JBond

Reaction score
First, thanks for all the kind words. Second this looks to be a bit nuts and possibly making landfall a few miles from our place slightly north of Clearwater. We have our plans and supplies. Hoping for the best for everyone, especially my Cowboy family that may be affected. New moon is not factored in to most projections. 12 to 15 foot surge in the new projection. I have businesses and great co-workers/employees from Ft Myers all the way up the coast. If any of you happen to pray, everyone over here could use them.

Thanks all!

rags747

Reaction score
I gotta be honest here. No matter how much weather you watch on tv you still have no freaking idea where it’s going to hit and how hard! I’m thinking they have no idea either and I have watched all kinds of Hurricane forecasts online etc. They love this stuff!!

FloridaRob

Reaction score
We are in lakeland, middle of the state. We have rode out many over the years. People around here have been known to be without electricity for a week or more. Our grid is good tho and in Hurricane Charlie we lost electricity for 4 hours and that is all thru all the storms. I am not worried about flooding. If our house floods don't worry about sending help to lakeland because every one else is dead. We are at the highest point. Store shelves are bare. No bread, milk, or water. I just hope we don't lose electricity. Being hot sucks.