Anyone else surprised and ready to eat Crow on Mark Brunnel?

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
I am surprised at the way he's performed. I have no doubt that the game in Dallas got his mojo back.

He is making plays and is delievering the ball with velocity, accuracy and 90% of the time giving his WRs chances to make plays.

He only has 2 INTs :eek:

If you watched Brunnel a couple of years ago, you'd see a veteran QB with shot knees and legs that reduced his arm strenght and mobility to little league status. I wanted no part of him when he was a free agent. I didn't believe like some did on this forum that he still had some gaas in the tank. I pawned it off to some wanting ABC........ :p:

I am not ready to eat crow yet, but I am surprised. If he's able to go into NY this weekend. play well and lead the Skins to a victory, I'll take my fair share of crow. I don't really care about the unit rankings. The Eagles came into the Cowboys game with the best offense and we shut them down, therefore I don't pay that much attention to the Giants defensive ranking when they play a divisional opponent.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
No one is ready to give Drew the benefit of the doubt yet, so why should anyone give Brunell it?

Drew has a rookie and just lost his pro-Bowl left tackle. Brunell hasn't lost anyone on his offensive line.

Yes, he's playing very well, but we haven't even got to the halfway point of the season. It's amazing what two lucky throws can do to one's confidence.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'm not eating any crow. I never bashed Brunell or the Skins. In fact, I've been pretty consistent in my physical illness as I post my fear that the Skins are for real. Good defense. Decent OL. Pro Bowl RB. Legit deep threat/big play guy at WR. HOF coach. (Hall is a top-5 kicker when he's in the game.) All that was missing was consistent, error-free QB play and Brunell is giving them much more than that. Pardon me while I puke.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
No one is ready to give Drew the benefit of the doubt yet, so why should anyone give Brunell it?

Drew has a rookie and just lost his pro-Bowl left tackle. Brunell hasn't lost anyone on his offensive line.

Yes, he's playing very well, but we haven't even got to the halfway point of the season. It's amazing what two lucky throws can do to one's confidence.
I wouldn't call it luck because Brunnel has proven in the past that he can lead a team deep into the play-offs. Their excution on those 2 plays were text book perfect.

Drew Bledsoe hadn't fallen to the depths that Brunnel had in Jacksonville. Most around the league considered Brunnel a back-up at best and last year somewhat proved the point.

This year the Skins don't have a dominant running game.

Brunnel in my opinion (even though stats might reflex differently) is playing better than Drew. He rarely if ever makes any bone head plays. He protects the ball and buys time with his legs and shows exceptional zip on the ball while on the run (backpedalling or running sideline to side line).

Injuries happen to every team. Even if he doesn't play-out the entire season I think if Brunnel leads the Skins to a victory on Sunday, the contract he got last doesn't look too Synder-esque.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Drew's better than Brunell if he's not being hit every play. JMO.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
I'm not eating any crow. I never bashed Brunell or the Skins. In fact, I've been pretty consistent in my physical illness as I post my fear that the Skins are for real. Good defense. Decent OL. Pro Bowl RB. Legit deep threat/big play guy at WR. HOF coach. (Hall is a top-5 kicker when he's in the game.) All that was missing was consistent, error-free QB play and Brunell is giving them much more than that. Pardon me while I puke.
Can I join in :puke:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Yes, however let's give him a few more games.......remember Bledsoe looked awesome until the past two games.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Brunell does not have the arm Bledsoe does. Bledsoe does not have the mobility the Mark has.

Brunells arm is strong enough so even with Bledsoe having a stronger arm, I would go with Brunell as the better QB right now.

Big plays happen when a QB can buy just a little time...Drew just doesn't have that.

As far as reading defenses. Well, with Mark having only 2 interceptions compared to Drews 4, I would say Brunell has him there too...and I know INT's are not always the QB's fault, just trying to be un-biasd.

ps...I'm not dissing Drew either, he is the best so far that we have seen since 2000. Just wish he had a little better mobility.

VACowboy

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Yes, however let's give him a few more games.......remember Bledsoe looked awesome until the past two games.

Can only judge a guy on what he's done. We'll judge them again next week.

Lifer

Reaction score
Brother, please. I could have thrown for 300 yards against the 49ers last week. You're views are far too myopic.

kartr

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Drew's better than Brunell if he's not being hit every play. JMO.

That's what makes Brunell better than Drew. He can make plays with his legs and deliver the ball accurately. He also doesn't fumble all the time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No doubt Brunnel has done a great job for the skins to this point. Regardless of how people feel about the Commander you can't denie the fact that Brunnel makes them a better team and they can't be considered a push over any longer.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I wanted Brunell before he went to the skins. Then I was glad he went to the skins after seeing his performance there. Now, who knows?

I will say this, I was wrong on the skins. I thought they'd be a five win team at best.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is doing much better then I expected....but at the same time he was much worse last year then I expected.

I think the O-line is making a big difference and it appears he is no longer injured like last year.

kartr

Reaction score
Charles said:
I am surprised at the way he's performed. I have no doubt that the game in Dallas got his mojo back.

He is making plays and is delievering the ball with velocity, accuracy and 90% of the time giving his WRs chances to make plays.

He only has 2 INTs :eek:

If you watched Brunnel a couple of years ago, you'd see a veteran QB with shot knees and legs that reduced his arm strenght and mobility to little league status. I wanted no part of him when he was a free agent. I didn't believe like some did on this forum that he still had some gaas in the tank. I pawned it off to some wanting ABC........ :p:

I am not ready to eat crow yet, but I am surprised. If he's able to go into NY this weekend. play well and lead the Skins to a victory, I'll take my fair share of crow. I don't really care about the unit rankings. The Eagles came into the Cowboys game with the best offense and we shut them down, therefore I don't pay that much attention to the Giants defensive ranking when they play a divisional opponent.

Not surprised at all, he's always been one of my favorite qb's. I like play-making qb's who have enough escapability to protect themselves a little without forcing the O-line to over-protect him. It gives greater flexibility to the offense.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
Not surprised at all, he's always been one of my favorite qb's. I like play-making qb's who have enough escapability to protect themselves a little without forcing the O-line to over-protect him. It gives greater flexibility to the offense.
It can also handicap an offense. It depends upon when the QB decides to run. Too many run too soon so pass patterns don't get run deep enough to open up. You give up a 30 yard completion for a 6 yard run.

summervillain

Benched
Reaction score
give me my serving, and I heard the Bledsoe, if you have to wait and see for him, why not Brunell too, argument, and while I agree with it, it's to an extent, which is, Brunell sucked arse last year, Bledsoe wasn't that bad, but Brunell was just apathetic, you saw how the Commander offense fuctioned last year with him at the helm, and I too thought the skins would be giving the Broncs a top-5 pick in this year's draft, seems I was wrong on that account too...