Anyone else surprised and ready to eat Crow on Mark Brunnel?

TheHustler

Reaction score
Hostile said:
It can also handicap an offense. It depends upon when the QB decides to run. Too many run too soon so pass patterns don't get run deep enough to open up. You give up a 30 yard completion for a 6 yard run.

We're talking about an old Mark Brunell, not Vick :)

The guy is making plays. The Commanders are playing really well right now.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
We're talking about an old Mark Brunell, not Vick :)

The guy is making plays. The Commanders are playing really well right now.
No, he was talking about making plays on the run.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
YES

unfortunately the skins and Brunell have played very well on offense since the game against us

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:
It can also handicap an offense. It depends upon when the QB decides to run. Too many run too soon so pass patterns don't get run deep enough to open up. You give up a 30 yard completion for a 6 yard run.

In the beginning, yes sure, but with experience most qb's learn when to run and when to wait, see Aikman,Elway and Young. If you're talking about Vick, he's only in his 5th year and has played under multiple coaches and offensive systems and receivers,plus he only started at Va. Tech for a year and half. I expect next year he will come into his own and people will stop referring to him as a glorified RB. Contrast that to Phillip Rivers who's learning to read NFL defenses and can't run and can't throw deep, so what good is he. At least Vick can do something now.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't know what happened with him. It seemed like during the monday night game he started off looking like the same old, washed up QB that he'd been for the past few years. His balls floated, he was too slow to recognize open receivers, made poor decisions, etc. Then, all of a sudden, he's got zip on his passes, he's making good quick decisions -- he's been playing great ever since.

It is very strange.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Troy Aikman was not a running QB. He was a scrambler. I think Troy has about 1000 yds rushing total for his entire career.

Steve Young has over 4000. Elway has around 3500

Cowchips

Reaction score
2 big differences between Brunnell and Bledsoe are.

Bledsoe has been in the league for the same number of years but has 40% more production in terms of yds and touchdowns.

Bledsoe is durable and Brunnell is a ragdoll and tends to get injured a lot.

You be the judge!!

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
kartr said:
In the beginning, yes sure, but with experience most qb's learn when to run and when to wait, see Aikman,Elway and Young. If you're talking about Vick, he's only in his 5th year and has played under multiple coaches and offensive systems and receivers,plus he only started at Va. Tech for a year and half. I expect next year he will come into his own and people will stop referring to him as a glorified RB. Contrast that to Phillip Rivers who's learning to read NFL defenses and can't run and can't throw deep, so what good is he. At least Vick can do something now.

Those....uh...."reasons" sound eerily familiar.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Lets see how long he can go before he is injured again.

Put me in for one of those...
Plus lets see if he wears down due to age thats if ofcourse he stays healthy

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Speaking of eating crow, I wonder what Maurice Clarett is doing these days...

TheHustler

Reaction score
Hostile said:
No, he was talking about making plays on the run.

Not disagreeing with you, not exactly at least. What I meant was that Vick tends to look run too easily and I don't think Brunell does that. He uses his feet to give his WRs more time to get open.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I don't think so Charles. I was one of the few guys on here a year ago that had to eat crow because I stated Brunell was a good addition for the Commanders. I didn't see you or anyone else join me nor did I hear any of you state that the Cowboys should have pursued Brunell in the 2004 offseason.

It seems like any time some random guy has success, someone out of the woodwork has to put their stamp on it.

I don't mind the "I toldja so" game but I only respect those who play fair meaning they don't hide when their prognostication is wrong and only come out when they are right about something.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't think so Charles. I was one of the few guys on here a year ago that had to eat crow because I stated Brunell was a good addition for the Commanders. I didn't see you or anyone else join me nor did I hear any of you state that the Cowboys should have pursued Brunell in the 2004 offseason.

It seems like any time some random guy has success, someone out of the woodwork has to put their stamp on it.

I don't mind the "I toldja so" game but I only respect those who play fair meaning they don't hide when their prognostication is wrong and only come out when they are right about something.

Good to see you posting...maybe I have just missed it but it seems it has been awhile.

For the record I agree with you. I always liked Brunell...I don't know if I went far in defending him when the skins signed him...I may have bashed it for the price but other then that I had no problem with it.
However once again I was surprised by how bad he looked last year, but as I stated earlier his injuries must have been worse then believed at the time..and the troubles with the O-line as well.

Later

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Good to see you posting...maybe I have just missed it but it seems it has been awhile.

For the record I agree with you. I always liked Brunell...I don't know if I went far in defending him when the skins signed him...I may have bashed it for the price but other then that I had no problem with it.
However once again I was surprised by how bad he looked last year, but as I stated earlier his injuries must have been worse then believed at the time..and the troubles with the O-line as well.

Later

Hey Brain

Good to hear from you too. School has been keeping me busy. I can't come on here as much as I would like. I liked Brunell too. I knew he was aging and his arm strength wasn't what it was but he was always a very bright QB who could read defenses and create something out of nothing when he was forced to. I didn't think he was Pro Bowl worthy but I thought he could help that team to a few more victories. Last year suprised me because he really looked like he lost all of that ability and he made a lot of uncharacteristic boneheaded plays.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
He is doing much better then I expected....but at the same time he was much worse last year then I expected.

I think the O-line is making a big difference and it appears he is no longer injured like last year.
Ditto. He played like pure crap for several years. Not just last year, tho that was pretty bad.

The topic of his resurrection was discussed on NFT tv this week..someone said he got his legs back by working out thos offseason. :rolleyes:

He got a whole lot more back than that..like timing and accuracy, on the run and from the pocket.

Good for him.