Anyone else take a beating in the stock market the last month?

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
I did this when i moved to tx from Oslo, cost of living here is so cheap i had enough money left over after selling my condo and paying of the mortgage to buy 2 houses here.
1 i live inn, 1 i rent out and i have enough in equity to buy another and pay back the loan and taxes with the rent. My goal is to have 3-4 rentals by the time i retire
That's awesome!! That's what I hear from everyone. 3-4 properties is all you need. One of my buddies only buys sine family homes and rents those. He had a landscaping business. He sold it and mostly flips houses now and rents others.

aria

Reaction score
I have a little money I play around with, just lost a nice chunk by taking a chance with a small bio.

My 457 and Roth, which I don’t really mess with other than contributing part of my pay checks took 7-8% hit when I looked at it about 2 weeks after the market started really getting hit. Not too worried about it though, now I’ll be buying cheaper and I won’t be retiring for at least another 15-18 years. Even then, if the stock market sucks at the time, I don’t have to touch it unless I need it so I can wait it out until it corrects.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It's October. The big cats are taking profits and looking for the sheep to vacate the market so they can swoop back in, hopefully after the new year, and pile on some more big gains.

Buy and hold through dollar cost averaging has always been the best strategy for me. Back in the 90s, during the internet craze, was the only time I really had real success trading individual stocks. Many millionaires made during that period.

morasp

Reaction score
EFA gave a sell signal in July EEM in June. The Fed has been saying QE wouldn't last forever and the American markets signaled a sell in October.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I sold almost everything over a month ago, right around the DOW peak, AMD was still above 30$, wooooweeeee AMD did me right. You really just saw it run out of steam.

I'm waiting on further dips, fundamentals just don't look very good and there's a lot of uncertainty just about everywhere in global equities. A little rally was bound to happen after dipping in correction territory and companies coming out of the buyback blackout window. In my opinion? Probably just a temporarily bandaid.

Everyone knows the Fed is going to raise rates, as well as a lot of global banks (probably most i'd imagine), The trading tariffs add uncertainty and the market doesn't like uncertainty, it's "risk". Asian equities have taken a beating with China indices dropping into bear market territory before rallying a bit. EU markets already seeing contagion from the Italy cluster, who knows about Brexit, etc. Emerging markets do not look good. A global equity pullback is probably likely, as money supply tightens.

The thing that concerns me a bit is the massive debt pools, especially at-risk like FHAs. Enormous amounts of corporate junk bonds, also consumer debt is increasing along with defaults, and the market is good.

I don't really know though. I think best case is a market correction that isn't done yet, because rates are going up, that's a given. That's kinda the downside of running a pretty lax expansionary fiscal policy on the tail end of a strong bull market.

If I had to pick, i'd probably stay away from negative cash-flow tech for the time being, unless you're more of a day/week trader. Good thing is, you can probably find some sweet buys in the next few quarters.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liquidated the rest of my assets in May. The bear has been at the doorsteps, I just wasn't sure exactly when. With the tarrifs started flying and China's growth was already slowing (meaning the world's requirements were slowing) it was time to take profits before losing them en masse.

No way this bull market could continue. Not to mention it's 9 freaking years old. All good things must come to an end.
I took my money out if the market when I retired 18 months ago. My wife wanted me to put it in something safer. I sold a property last year and made a sweet profit, my wife let me put that in the market. Gonna play with it for a while, it's all profit anyway. I'll let it ride for a while, if it keeps tanking I'll take it out and buy some RE with it.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stocks can be as volatile as someone wants to make them...

I started investing in 1990... So much per month every month. No matter if the market was high, low or whatever.

And I invested the money into funds that even by 1990 standards had been around for decades and up to that point had averaged very good returns.

Yeah, I took a bath in October. But I've taken baths in other months/time periods too. You just grit your teeth and move forward because historically speaking, I'll make back my loses and then some.

If someone wants to take a flyer on penny-stocks or something that offers a huge return with a lot of risk– Then those opportunities are out there too... And you can lose your shirt quickly.

I prefer to invest like Warren Buffet... Buy & hold for the long-term.

Nothing wrong with investment properties. Just not a "sit on your arse" type investment like I have with my mutual funds. I've owned investment property... It has its own issues. LOL!
I sold all my properties about 14 years ago. They were a pain in the butt. I've flipped a few properties in the last few years, just to stay busy.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I took my money out if the market when I retired 18 months ago. My wife wanted me to put it in something safer. I sold a property last year and made a sweet profit, my wife let me put that in the market. Gonna play with it for a while, it's all profit anyway. I'll let it ride for a while, if it keeps tanking I'll take it out and buy some RE with it.
My wife and I have fairly different views on managing our retirement investments. Left up to her, we would liquidate everything and bury the cash in a hole in the back yard. In my wife's defense, she grew up in the old Soviet Union, weathered the trails and tribulations of glasnost and perestroika and saw families decimated through guffy government policies. Me, I am a bit less conservative.

The upshot of all this is that we have a well balanced, albeit. conservative investment strategy geared for the long-term. Our ultimate goal remains intake - spend it all before we die.

On a more serious note, yes, we took a bit of a beating in the stock market last month... however, we are invested for the long-term so there is no panic with current situation. Our portfolio is fairly diverse and fairly conservative. At this point in our lives, we are more concerned with income generation and preservation of wealth as opposed to growth.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My wife and I have fairly different views on managing our retirement investments. Left up to her, we would liquidate everything and bury the cash in a hole in the back yard. In my wife's defense, she grew up in the old Soviet Union, weathered the trails and tribulations of glasnost and perestroika and saw families decimated through guffy government policies. Me, I am a bit less conservative.

The upshot of all this is that we have a well balanced, albeit. conservative investment strategy geared for the long-term. Our ultimate goal remains intake - spend it all before we die.

On a more serious note, yes, we took a bit of a beating in the stock market last month... however, we are invested for the long-term so there is no panic with current situation. Our portfolio is fairly diverse and fairly conservative. At this point in our lives, we are more concerned with income generation and preservation of wealth as opposed to growth.
My wife and I both retired relatively young. I was 50 and she was 52. I was lucky to have invested in real estate at a young age. I built my ranch 17 years ago and haven't had a house payment since. That really helped.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
As a dividend growth investor, market dips concern me less than when I was a growth investor. I hate to see my net worth go down, but as long as those dividends keep streaming in, I'm happy.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My wife and I both retired relatively young. I was 50 and she was 52. I was lucky to have invested in real estate at a young age. I built my ranch 17 years ago and haven't had a house payment since. That really helped.
Congratulations! You are way ahead of the curve and, probably, most of your age-group peers. If your comments and responses on this site reflect real life, you're a pretty happy guy.

Like you, we invested in real estate many years ago, including the property in Colorado we eventually built our retirement home. I also retired early and, to be honest, haven't missed work a bit. Life is good.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Congratulations! You are way ahead of the curve and, probably, most of your age-group peers. If your comments and responses on this site reflect real life, you're a pretty happy guy.

Like you, we invested in real estate many years ago, including the property in Colorado we eventually built our retirement home. I also retired early and, to be honest, haven't missed work a bit. Life is good.
Congratulations! I miss coaching sometimes, but a little less every day. Splitting time between the ranch and our place in SPI makes me forget those great 90 hour work weeks! Lol

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Congratulations! I miss coaching sometimes, but a little less every day. Splitting time between the ranch and our place in SPI makes me forget those great 90 hour work weeks! Lol
Yeah, with all this retirement time on our hands, we have even more time to enjoy the Cowboys... Wait.. Err... time for another scuba trip.