Anyone ever been on high-dose prednisone?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Well as many of you know i've been chronically ill and in and out of the hospital for months, im currently on 40mg of prednisone and will begin tapering it off as the chemo meds are starting to take effect, anyone who knows anything about Prednisone knows about the horrible side effects (excruciating joint point, insane acne and weight gain) I was wondering how long after your off the prednisone for the side effects to start fading? Its quite concerning as I never had acne, never had a stomach always flat and now I have an insane amount of acne and a gut, very depressing but its better than being in the hospital.

thanks to anyone that has any answers.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3879961 said:
Well as many of you know i've been chronically ill and in and out of the hospital for months, im currently on 40mg of prednisone and will begin tapering it off as the chemo meds are starting to take effect, anyone who knows anything about Prednisone knows about the horrible side effects (excruciating joint point, insane acne and weight gain) I was wondering how long after your off the prednisone for the side effects to start fading? Its quite concerning as I never had acne, never had a stomach always flat and now I have an insane amount of acne and a gut, very depressing but its better than being in the hospital.

dont know anything about it buddy, but i hope you get better :starspin

Kangaroo

Reaction score

Jabber is the doc of the group maybe PM him

basstapp

Reaction score
I think it high doses it can mess with your temperament as well. My dad has Chrones disease and takes and it seems when he is on it for extended an extended period of time he snaps easily. But, like you said its better than being in the hospital. Good Luck

baj1dallas

Reaction score
40mg is a lot iirc. I think the side effect should start decreasing pretty much immediately but if you want to work off the gut, you're going to have to burn the calories. Usually they taper you down pretty fast but I don't know if you're taking that much.

MyBad

Reaction score
I have had to take it a couple weeks at a time do to asthma, it makes you crazy. Pissed off, mad. Kinda like being pumped up with speed or something.

Not very fun at all. slowly taking lower doses until your off. Hope you get better.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never had acne, never had a stomach always flat and now I have an insane amount of acne and a gut
I think that is a direct result of eating at BWW.

Just kidding I hope your feeling better soon!

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I've never had the pleasure, but I do hope you hang in there and get better soon my young friend!

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
baj1dallas;3880066 said:
40mg is a lot iirc. I think the side effect should start decreasing pretty much immediately but if you want to work off the gut, you're going to have to burn the calories. Usually they taper you down pretty fast but I don't know if you're taking that much.

They intend to taper me off over the corse of 2 months if I don't have a setback, last time when I got down to 20mg it flared back up and I ended up back in the hospital and back on insane doses of steroids/switching to other treatment options.

Thanks for all the support guys.

burmafrd

Reaction score
nyc;3880015 said:
Lets ask the resident expert. burm? :muttley:

I'm kidding! :D

Actually I have been on prednisone- have Ulcerative Colitis.

The effects vary person to person. Weight gain and a fatter, rounder face is the most usual side effects. At least for me.

Never made me homicidal.

I am that way normally.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
basstapp;3880050 said:
I think it high doses it can mess with your temperament as well. My dad has Chrones disease and takes and it seems when he is on it for extended an extended period of time he snaps easily. But, like you said its better than being in the hospital. Good Luck

It definitely can cause mood adjustments. Depression is not all that uncommon.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I'm no expert but I think you'll likely have the weight gain and acne until you're off. Or at the very least until you're on a low dose. It shouldn't take long once you are there but as you said they are tapering you down over a couple months.

Keep your head up man.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3880166 said:
It definitely can cause mood adjustments. Depression is not all that uncommon.

I find that I have huge mood swings, i'll get insanely furious over virtually nothing and get insanely happy over something like a milkshake lol.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3880181 said:
I'm no expert but I think you'll likely have the weight gain and acne until you're off. Or at the very least until you're on a low dose. It shouldn't take long once you are there but as you said they are tapering you down over a couple months.

Keep your head up man.

Thank's, I just hope the rate of weight gain slows down as I start tapering off, or i'll be living in the gym this summer just to get back to where I was. During my 3 week stay in the hospital I went from 175 pds lean, able to bench 200 lbs 70 pushups 12 pullups, now I haven't gone to the gym but im down to 145 with a bit of a stomach and could only get 8 pushups, I didn't eat at all for 2 of the weeks in the hospital and was on nutritional support. Really sad all those years of work in football/the gym wasted because of this illness.

Phoenix

Reaction score
I have a chronic affliction much like psoriasis, I forget what it's called...couple years back, my feet and hands got infected with staph...it was grim grim grim. Prednisone was one of the meds I was on for a short time. The only side affect I had was that the sores started going away. But my doctor would not let me stay on it...she alluded to the side affects and I think addiction was possible...? I don't remember. Wish I could help you, and hope you get better, and come off the prednisone okay.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I had a back issue at one time and my doctor put me on prednisone to try and fight the swelling of some tissue in my neck and back. I took it for 2 days until one morning I woke up at 3am and couldn't move my arms or legs. I sat there for about 5 minutes freaking out and slowly over 10-15 minutes the movement came back. It's one of the scariest moments in my life. I called my doctor later that morning and he had me immediately stop taking it.

It does some VERY strange things. He felt mine was more of an allergic reaction.

Duane

Reaction score
Glad your out of the hospital and feeling better. I don't have any experience taking the drug but my mom used to give it to her dog for something. The only side effect the dog had was that she was always hungry.

Kristi

I Rue Everything
Reaction score
I have Lupus and have been on massive doses of prednisone over the course of my life. I have had taken 100 mg orally and tapered down slowly and when the disease caused my paralysis they were injecting me with a doses up to 400 mg at a time to reduce swelling in spinal cord. I went into the hospital at 130 lb, within a month I was on the rehab unit and weighed 160 lb and I wasn't eating. That is how nasty that drug is!

As for the side effects -- it depends on the person. I get weight gain, puffy face, hair loss, dry skin, insomnia on the high doses, figity, can't sit still, depression, anxiety, snappy, feel hungry all the time, etc.

I think my depression from it comes from the massive hair loss and weight gain. That's hard on a girl at any age. And the teasing I endured between 10-13 was horrible on top of it. I relapsed at 15 and 21 and those two side effects are worse on my self-esteem then anything horrible the Lupus is doing to my body.

The drug is a miracle worker, but you would think for as long as it is been around and how many different diseases they use to treat things, you would think they could weed out some of the side effects.

If I can give you a piece of advice DO NOT taper too fast. I have paid the price in rushing it and/or not taking the full dose. You just end up taking it longer and prolonging the side effects.

The weight is mostly water weight and comes off with some work once you are off the medication.

Hope you get better soon and off that nasty drug!!