Anyone follow Sarah Phillips on Twitter?

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I unfollowed her a couple months back because I liked looking at what plays she did for betting that day but she quit posting plays.

If anyone else follows her / knows who she is, this story is pretty fascinating.

Is Sarah Phillips for real? Thirteen months ago, she was an unknown message-board participant at Covers.com, a gambling website. Then Covers plucked her from the boards and gave her a weekly column, sight unseen. Five months after that, she was tapped by Lynn Hoppes, an editor for ESPN.com, to write a weekly column for ESPN's Page 2—once the home of writers like David Halberstam, Ralph Wiley, and Hunter S. Thompson, and which has now been rebranded as ESPN's Playbook. The swiftness of her ascent gave her that weird sort of internet half-celebrity whereby she became moderately famous before anyone really knew who she was.

http://********.com/5906658/is-an-espn-columnist-scamming-people-on-the-internet

ajk23az

Reaction score
1.5 hours after this article was posted, ESPN terminated their freelance agreement with her.

ajk23az

Reaction score
rkell87;4545085 said:
i was just coming to post this, crazy stuff

She now posted a string of tweets confessing her side of the story.

Prettttty shady.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
ajk23az;4545377 said:
She now posted a string of tweets confessing her side of the story.

Prettttty shady.

Wow, that is all really nuts. It sounds like some college kid got a little too big for their britches, thinking they could pretend to be ESPN execs and lawyers to bully others.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
ESPN is more or less an asylum, where avaricious sharks and obsequious leeches run free and get promoted. They are beyond reproach.

YR

EGTuna

Reaction score
I am confused. (I'm also a moron, so I ask that you please bare with me.)

Which of the following appears to be closer to the truth as laid out in the ******** article:
1) Is Sarah Phillips real and in cahoots with Prasad?
2) Is Sarah Phillips not real, and a creation of Prasad?

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
EGTuna;4546241 said:
I am confused. (I'm also a moron, so I ask that you please bare with me.)

Which of the following appears to be closer to the truth as laid out in the ******** article:
1) Is Sarah Phillips real and in cahoots with Prasad?
2) Is Sarah Phillips not real, and a creation of Prasad?

Looks like option 1 is the truth with Prasad being the mastermind behind it.

http://********.com/5907081/sources...ple-together-got-fired-from-t+mobile-together

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Haha wow. After reading this I can only think of: Who is Keyser Söze?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I spent something like 3 hours reading about all this stuff last night. Bizarre. People were showing up to her house and everything.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;4546802 said:
I spent something like 3 hours reading about all this stuff last night. Bizarre. People were showing up to her house and everything.
I spent about an hour reading about it myself. This is the weirdest story I've ever heard of.

The fact these guys were just giving them money... and the kid who got a ton of free advertising for his FB page off the ******** story. And he should've been suspicious when they asked to become admins of his page and he hadn't even met them in person.

I'm suspicious by nature and I'm not sure I could've done half the stuff they allegedly did in the story.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4546908 said:
Is she hot?:D
Yes, but it appears she has weird alien feet (bottom left).

http://img402.*************/img402/8830/originalop.jpg

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4546887 said:
I spent about an hour reading about it myself. This is the weirdest story I've ever heard of.

The fact these guys were just giving them money... and the kid who got a ton of free advertising for his FB page off the ******** story. And he should've been suspicious when they asked to become admins of his page and he hadn't even met them in person.

I'm suspicious by nature and I'm not sure I could've done half the stuff they allegedly did in the story.
We grew up in a era without an online world. I think kids today grew up living basically an entire life online and are willing to buy into things that you and I would normally see as major red flags.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Reading this article and following this story, I had an epiphany: I would be the worst scam artist ever.

bounce

Reaction score
I read the ******** article, and I'm not even 100% sure exactly what went down.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
bounce;4547004 said:

Her and her buddy scammed people out of their Facebook and Twitter accounts and at around the same time, ESPN hired her.

I think that's about the gist of it at this point.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
bounce;4547004 said:

Typical low-level con job using the attractive girl (Phillips-who is a real person) and her boyfriend, in charge of the con (Prasad-they'll claim they aren't dating, but they are).

They were involved in some schemes when they worked at T-Mobile together. Prasad likes to gamble and was on a message board for a gambling Web site, using Phillips as the 'attactive girl and heavy, knowledgable gambler' schtick.

The gambling site came to Phillips, who grew in popularity because she was in a world where attactive women are nearly extinct, and they asked her to be a writer for the site. Prasad, the mastermind, decided to use that to his advantage for another low-level scam.

It was pretty much all low-level scams and such and then Prasad/Phillips hit the jackpot....contribute to ESPN Playbook (formerly ESPN2.com).

ESPN was clearly eager to sign Phillips on because they are looking for a way to bring gambling talk onto their Web site, but they want to do it the 'right' way. So they brought in Phillips because her gimmick is the 'attactive girl who is a heavy, expert gambler.' But the real gambler was her boyfriend, Prasad.

From there, Prasad/Phillips used the notoriety they got from being an ESPN contributor to help run more low-level scams (or at least attempt to).

You would think that ESPN would do a better job vetting their contributors, particularly those involved in...and their primary purpose is involved in gambling. I don't have anything against gambling, but it is a world filled with seedy characters.

I'm guessing that Phillips will blame Prasad and claim that she has severed the relationship, but in reality they are still seeing each other and waiting for things to cool off before they can possibly run another scam, doing whatever.

YR