Anyone here ever had an MRI?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve had one. Not a fun experience but manageable. That said, if you have claustrophobia I can imagine it being a nightmare.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am claustrophobic and have had 3 in the last year along with a CT and PET scan and I managed it with a two-fold approach.

First, I made certain I was really tired before I had it. I wasn't sleeping well anyway but I did set the alarm to go off several times the night before. All I wanted to do was lay down when I got to the procedure.

I began practicing 10 count deep breathing to calm myself and give me something to focus on besides being in the tube. In 1-2-3-4, hold for 5-6 and slowly let out 7-8-9-10 and repeat making sure to stay with the count. I believe that helps occupy the mind.

Later I added mantras to the exhale like I use "send the healing" when doing acupuncture and used "I am in control" when having scans. This has helped me but I am sold on it. I muster such positivity about what is happening that fears, real or expanded, do not control me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am claustrophobic and have had 3 in the last year along with a CT and PET scan and I managed it with a two-fold approach.

First, I made certain I was really tired before I had it. I wasn't sleeping well anyway but I did set the alarm to go off several times the night before. All I wanted to do was lay down when I got to the procedure.

I began practicing 10 count deep breathing to calm myself and give me something to focus on besides being in the tube. In 1-2-3-4, hold for 5-6 and slowly let out 7-8-9-10 and repeat making sure to stay with the count. I believe that helps occupy the mind.

Later I added mantras to the exhale like I use "send the healing" when doing acupuncture and used "I am in control" when having scans. This has helped me but I am sold on it. I muster such positivity about what is happening that fears, real or expanded, do not control me.
Your procedures can't be done in an open MRI?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Had several over a 2 day stretch do not remember them was on morphine for pain I think I liked the ones that were after a sponge bath.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Had several over a 2 day stretch do not remember them was on morphine for pain I think I liked the ones that were after a sponge bath.
D6aA5iql.jpg

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I had an MRI so that the doctors could check out what was causing my back pain. I HATED it! I could not stand being in that tight space with all those noises going on around me. They did show me where there was a lever I could pull to abort the procedure, but if I pulled that, I would have had to do the MRI all over again, so I toughed it out.

If I had to do it again, I would accept the Valium this time, and I would bring along some favorite music, and it would not be death metal. I would probably bring some old-style jazz like Louis Armstrong. I've had Valium before for a dental procedure. It really helped me to relax and not worry about stuff. It was a big mistake not to accept the Valium for the MRI.

jnday

Reaction score
I have comforted my wife several times while she was given an MRI. I never thought much about it just being there and telling her she could do it. When my Heart Dr told me he wanted me to get a Heart MRI, I thought nothing about it. I showed up yesterday for the test and got all strapped in. I got my head phones on with Elton John playing. The nurse told me I would be in there about two hours. Again, thought nothing about it. They started me moving me into the tube, I opened my eyes and went into a full panic. Heart racing, sweating, nervous as anything and immediately pushed the button to get me out of there. I told them No way. Aint happening.

My wife wants me to take a medication but just the thought of it now sends me into heart palpitations. Two hours? Not going to happen.

Any claustrophobic people ever have to deal with this? Wife is not taking no for an answer and I just cant handle the thought now much less the actual MRI.
I have the same problem with tight spaces, but I had to have 15-20 MRIs over the last 20 years. Every single one of them made me miserable , but I had to have them. I was lucky to have an understanding tech on most of them and they were creative in finding ways to make me as comfortable as possible.