Anyone interested in Marcus Mariota?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Name me one QB that does NOT have garbage time stats.
QBs on teams that aren't often down a lot late in games (ie, they actually score points - or don't have absolute garbage defenses) tend to not have them much.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So let’s say this Dak situation just goes completely side ways and we gotta bring someone in. Anyone thing Mariota might be able to do similar things with the cowboys cast? Maybe a new chapter in his book could turn him around. I’d be more for that than say Keenum, Winston etc.
Mariota would certainly be a strong option if we weren't able to work out a deal with Dak, but at a minimum the team will at least tag Dak, and I doubt they will pay both Mariota and Dak.

Reaction score
QBs on teams that aren't often down a lot late in games (ie, they actually score points - or don't have absolute garbage defenses) tend to not have them much.
Maybe I wasn't clear. Let me repeat that: Name me one QB that does NOT have garbage time stats.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear. Let me repeat that: Name me one QB that does NOT have garbage time stats.
Every QB has some.

Peyton Manning probably has not had a lot during his career. Brady probably has had very little. I'd say Brees, but he had some atrocious defenses at times.

Dak just had a large amount of it this year in particular.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mariota would certainly be a strong option if we weren't able to work out a deal with Dak, but at a minimum the team will at least tag Dak, and I doubt they will pay both Mariota and Dak.

I was thinking of that possible pairing. Say they kept the tag on Dak and were less than confident in a long term deal getting done based on Prescott's contract demands. Signing Mariota for a few years to be the backup in 2020 and give him a chance to work with McCarthy wouldn't be the worst idea. The tools are there, as is the attitude and work ethic, and there has been moments of greatness. It would be interesting to see what he might become with better coaching.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking of that possible pairing. Say they kept the tag on Dak and were less than confident in a long term deal getting done based on Prescott's contract demands. Signing Mariota for a few years to be the backup in 2020 and give him a chance to work with McCarthy wouldn't be the worst idea. The tools are there, as is the attitude and work ethic, and there has been moments of greatness. It would be interesting to see what he might become with better coaching.
I agree. I guess it depends on what kind of contract Mariota expects

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I guess it depends on what kind of contract Mariota expects

If Gruden is interested, I'd expect the numbers to be higher than 'backup quarterback money'. He's always doing crazy dumb things with the quarterback position.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
This is another one where you will see how ignorant Dak slobberers are when it comes to other players in the league and this imagined superiority of Dak to players that he is clearly not superior to. The ignorance is off the charts.

87 total TD
77 INTs/fumbles

vs

118 Total TD
67 InTs/fumbles