Anyone interested in Marcus Mariota?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So let’s say this Dak situation just goes completely side ways and we gotta bring someone in. Anyone thing Mariota might be able to do similar things with the cowboys cast?

Right, because we've got the most awesomest supporting cast. Ignore that Mariota's cast made the AFC title game once he got benched.

I'm not sure if some of you have convinced yourself that Dak is the worst QB in the NFL or you haven't watched any of these names being tossed about play.

If you think Dak is inaccurate you're going to love Mariota.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lol. He was a second teamer, that’s why it didn’t show up on his player page. Which isn’t really a thing, it just means the guy who got the second most votes. Only the first team is actually voted on. But fair enough, I did not distinguish. I’ve had that argument on here a zillion times, so I don’t want to revisit. I meant first team initially. But I did not distinguish, so I’m wrong and you are right on that.
Typically speaking, a first or second team All Pro birth gives the player an All Pro distinction.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
So let’s say this Dak situation just goes completely side ways and we gotta bring someone in. Anyone thing Mariota might be able to do similar things with the cowboys cast? Maybe a new chapter in his book could turn him around. I’d be more for that than say Keenum, Winston etc.

Dream on........

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Mariotta would be attracted to any team that wanted him.....dude got beat out by Tannehill
Actually, he would do what Tannehill would do. Join a team where he had a shot to be better and maybe do exactly what Tannehill did.

He would never ever get that opportunity in Dallas. That is why I think this whole idea is idiotic.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Mariota's got enough talent to deserve a fresh start - look at the guy who beat him out this year, for example. I don't think he is at the backup-purgatory point yet like say RG3.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I think Mariota's got enough talent to deserve a fresh start - look at the guy who beat him out this year, for example. I don't think he is at the backup-purgatory point yet like say RG3.
Mariotta would actually benefit as a backup IMO. Look at Bridgewater under a coach like Payton. Imagine if Mariotta ended up in NO. He could benefit from learning from Payton and Brees as Bridgewater did. And there is a real possibility that Brees will retire after this season.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Mariotta would actually benefit as a backup IMO. Look at Bridgewater under a coach like Payton. Imagine if Mariotta ended up in NO. He could benefit from learning from Payton and Brees as Bridgewater did. And there is a real possibility that Brees will retire after this season.

Fair take.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of so called Cowboy fans who will do whatever it take to defend other teams players just to dog Dak out. Its laughable and sad.

It's all about their own ego and being "right" on a message board. Seeing how emotional some folks get about this stuff cracks me up. :muttley:

SSoup

Reaction score
As an intentional replacement for Dak? Ha, no.

As a backup with potential in case Dak gets hurt? Sure.

Honestly, we cost ourselves dearly last year when we only had Cooper Rush, who our own organization apparently think is too useless to put on the field, on the bench when Dak hurt his hand and we needed an NFL-caliber replacement to step in and try to keep the car running.

Let's be real. If your starting QB hurts his throwing hand and you still think it's unthinkable to ever put the backup on the field, it's because you're rostering a backup who doesn't belong at this level. It's like if you have a star offensive lineman who contracts some illness in the offseason and drops a hundred pounds, and you decide his backup is too useless to put him on the field so you stick with the 200-pound lineman instead.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I would take a flyer on Mariotta, but Rivers would likely be my first choice of the guys likely to be available.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
As an intentional replacement for Dak? Ha, no.

As a backup with potential in case Dak gets hurt? Sure.

Honestly, we cost ourselves dearly last year when we only had Cooper Rush, who our own organization apparently think is too useless to put on the field, on the bench when Dak hurt his hand and we needed an NFL-caliber replacement to step in and try to keep the car running.

Let's be real. If your starting QB hurts his throwing hand and you still think it's unthinkable to ever put the backup on the field, it's because you're rostering a backup who doesn't belong at this level. It's like if you have a star offensive lineman who contracts some illness in the offseason and drops a hundred pounds, and you decide his backup is too useless to put him on the field so you stick with the 200-pound lineman instead.
I don’t think that’s fair to Rush because not starting your QB in the most important game of the year is a huge deal. These backups may not have played at all up to that point and they get almost no reps during the year. I would like to know if anyone can remember a time where a 50% or so starting QB was benched over a 100% backup in an important end of season game. Pretty much every QB in the league is going to get the nod unless they are completely ruled out.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mariota’s career numbers look like the numbers of QBs who played during the 1970s. He’s only had two seasons during his 5 year career where he passed for more than 3000 yards and only one season where he had more than 20 TDs. His last full season as a starter in 2018 he passed for just over 2500 yards and had 11 TD passes. His career record is 29-32. The only positive with him is he has a 3-2 playoff record. I just don’t see Dak’s contract situation going so sideways that we’ll end up with one of these castoffs that keep being mentioned.

Reaction score
So let’s say this Dak situation just goes completely side ways and we gotta bring someone in. Anyone thing Mariota might be able to do similar things with the cowboys cast? Maybe a new chapter in his book could turn him around. I’d be more for that than say Keenum, Winston etc.

At this point even Mrs Mariotta isn't interested,,,

GMO415

Reaction score
Yup... and look what a change of scenery did for Tannahil.

I'd take Mariotta as a back up in a heart beat. I wanted him coming out of college... Oregon, i believe.
Yeah and if our $105 million dollar QB got injured I'd bet he come in and kill it..

Reaction score
Marcus Mariota 1st 2 years : 45 TD, 19 INT, 94 Rating
Dak Prescott 1st 2 years : 45 TD, 17 INT, 96 Rating

ladies and gentlemen, the vastly superior (in the minds of Dak slobberers) Dak Prescott.
For the record, Dak has played 4 years.

Nice cherry picking though.....