Anyone know of a cheaper auto insurance instead of geico?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
I've been with Geico for 17 years or so and the last several years they are jacking up our rates left and right for no reason.

i was happy with them for the first 12 years or so...not now though.

i suspect it is to help pay for their stupid commercials..

Last edited:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I've been with Geico for 17 years or so and the last several years they are jacking up our rates left and right for no reason.

i was happy with them for the first 12 years or so...not now though.

i suspect it is to help pay for their stupid commercials..

I wish I could help. But Allstate raises me for no reason.
I had a woman who worked there who lowered and locked it in for me before she left.

dcdallaschick

Reaction score
We tend to switch every few years, mostly because companies will offer you a lower rate to switch, and then it tends to go up after a few years. We've used Geico, Progressive, and Liberty Mutual, and the service has been decent at all of them. We just shop for rates and switch from time to time. You might also check with your bank. We ended up at Liberty Mutual for a while because they had affinity rates for SunTrust customers.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
My wife was with Geico for years and I finally got her to change too because they kept jacking up the rates. Currently we are with Progressive which was about $425/year cheaper than Geico was. She looked up the rates and went with Progressive. I'm not sure who the cheapest was, but cheap isn't always best.

Duane

Reaction score
I switched auto and home to Amica and the two policies combined are saving me about $800 a year over State Farm. So you may want to call them. I've had nothing but great customer service from Amica.

I also hear lots of good things about USAA insurance.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey.... They are still insuring you.... Bright side

Lol

Not for long. No joke: we bought her a new car two days ago: she backed it into our neighbor's retaining wall this morning. Because it was dark outside. Sigh.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok... I will ask... Why did you buy her a new car?

Her old one was all dented up?

It wasn't actually brand new. Just new to us. Because her A4 had gotten to the point where you typically get issues with the turbo.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
Depends on what you drive, too. When I used to drive older cars (10+ years), Geico was the most expensive and Progressive gave me the best rates. Once I got into newer cars (<5 years), Geico easily had the best rates for me. I have a 2011 Camaro SS right now and nobody can touch Geico's rate.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Her old one was all dented up?

It wasn't actually brand new. Just new to us. Because her A4 had gotten to the point where you typically get issues with the turbo.

Maybe turbo is not the best feature to put at her disposal.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Progressive is much cheaper for me. I only had one car accident while on Progressive and the process was extremely simple and taken care of in no time. Compare that to the time I got ran into under Geico insurance. Ugh.

YR

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe turbo is not the best feature to put at her disposal.

I'm going to retrofit a bumper car and put a Prius engine in it and a BMW badge on the front and hope she doesn't notice it. Then she'll probably get in and back it into my car because it was dark or the sun was in her eyes or the radio was too loud.

Funny thing is, she still tells me how fast to drive and how much braking distance to allow when she's in my passenger seat. Ah, love. Good thing she's otherwise pretty amazing.