Anyone know where Steve Hoffman is?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;1484624 said:
I'll change it when I can get a pic of Spencer in a game-day uniform

I'm hoping to have to change mine this year too!

:pray:

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to look it up, but if i remember right there are like 2 guys with the title "kicking coach" in th NFL and that was last year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
smarta5150;1484607 said:
What does Hos think of Hoffman? lol
I have never understood the belief that he is Duct Tape. You know that old saying that you can fix it with Duct Tape or it isn't worth fixing.

He was a decent coach with a given assignment but I didn't see him as some kind of miracle worker. I understand the perception because Boniol and Cunningham never came anywhere near what they were in Dallas.

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They went from a great team to scrub teams.

After he left here which kicker did Hoffman elevate to the levels he did those 2? Did the Duct Tape lose its stickiness?

Or maybe was it a case of he had a measure of a success on a really great football team and without that great team he's just a typical position coach and not the Duct Tape?

If he was all that great wouldn't every team in the NFL be clamoring for his services? Wouldn't every fan be lauding him on their websites? Of course.

He has a pseudo pedestal here because he had an unexpected measure of success where from 1994 through 1998 where he took unknown guys and they scored over 100 points per season and had high success percentages.

What happened to Cunningham in 1999? Why couldn't the Duct Tape fix him? How come Tim Seder wasn't great? How come Billy Cundiff wasn't?

Suddenly as the team faltered and lost talent so did the Duct Tape's magical ability.

He gets way too much credit. He coached the freaking kickers for crying out loud. I never understood why people thought a Special Teams Coach wouldn't know how to explain a plant leg and pushing or shanking a ball. I could coach kickers. You could coach kickers. Holy crap, Cundiff's blonde wife advised him on technique. A monkey with a bullhorn could have coached them if they'd watch tape and had synapses that fire.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Hostile;1484728 said:
I have never understood the belief that he is Duct Tape. You know that old saying that you can fix it with Duct Tape or it isn't worth fixing.

He was a decent coach with a given assignment but I didn't see him as some kind of miracle worker. I understand the perception because Boniol and Cunningham never came anywhere near what they were in Dallas.

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They went from a great team to scrub teams.

After he left here which kicker did Hoffman elevate to the levels he did those 2? Did the Duct Tape lose its stickiness?

Or maybe was it a case of he had a measure of a success on a really great football team and without that great team he's just a typical position coach and not the Duct Tape?

If he was all that great wouldn't every team in the NFL be clamoring for his services? Wouldn't every fan be lauding him on their websites? Of course.

He has a pseudo pedestal here because he had an unexpected measure of success where from 1994 through 1998 where he took unknown guys and they scored over 100 points per season and had high success percentages.

What happened to Cunningham in 1999? Why couldn't the Duct Tape fix him? How come Tim Seder wasn't great? How come Billy Cundiff wasn't?

Suddenly as the team faltered and lost talent so did the Duct Tape's magical ability.

He gets way too much credit. He coached the freaking kickers for crying out loud. I never understood why people thought a Special Teams Coach wouldn't know how to explain a plant leg and pushing or shanking a ball. I could coach kickers. You could coach kickers. Holy crap, Cundiff's blonde wife advised him on technique. A monkey with a bullhorn could have coached them if they'd watch tape and had synapses that fire.

And that is exactly why I personally asked you to come here and voice your opinion.

Great analogy, I have the Duct Tape daily tear away calendar.

:lmao2:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1484728 said:
I could coach kickers.

holding them down while punching them in the face, the whole while screaming, "get up!" doesn't qualify as coaching, Hos :p: :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1484735 said:
holding them down while punching them in the face, the whole while screaming, "get up!" doesn't qualify as coaching, Hos :p: :D
Why not? Tell me you wouldn't be inspired to make the next one.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Steve Hoffman is the Dallas Cowboys Tall Tale. With each passing year, it seems as if he becomes more revered. He's the Paul Bunyan of football. I think people just like to parrot off whatever they hear about the guy as factual information.

If I remember correctly, his specialty was actually punters, not kickers, and he never really was anything special.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
One more thing. I had an email exchange with hoffman two years ago because he and I had a conversation in Pittsburgh before a pre-season game and he was really up front about what waas going on with the team. We exchanged emails and I followed up. (He informed me that the team was going to cut Clint Steorner that week)

Any way, he told me he would love to come back to Dallas as a kicking coach but not as long as "That coach waas still there". His words not mine.

He loved living in Dallas and the organization, just not "That coach".

So I'm sure he would be willing to come back if he was asked.

Just an FYI for the thread starter.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
kobe2jail;1484442 said:
Remember him? He was the kicking coach that could take a janitor at a adult peep show and turn him into a solid NFL kicker.

I was furious when Parcells let him go. It made no sense whatsoever except to fuel Parcells ego. Hoffman was money.

Anyway since BP isn't here anymore, what are the chances Jerry hunts him down to help us with Novak?

Anyone know what Hoffman is doing now?

Hoffman done well in the beggining but acting like we fired him while he was on top of his game is false. Hoffman was here from 1989-2004

Here is our kickers (not including what he inherited in 1989)

1990 Ken Willis 18-25 72.0%

1991 Ken Willis 27-39 69.2 %

1992 Lin Elliot 24-35 68.6% (Superbowl year)

1993 Signed 13 year vet Eddie Murray 28-33 84.8%

1994 Chris Boniol 22-29 75.9%

1995 Chris Boniol 27-28 96.4%

1996 Chris Boniol 32-36 88.9%

1997 Richie Cunningham 34-37 91.9%

1998 Richie Cunningham 29-35 82.9 %

1999 Cunningham (12 games) 15-25 60.0% Then we brought back Murray

2000 Tim Seder 25-33 75.8%

2001 Tim Seder (8 Games) 11-17 64.7%
John Hilbert (8 Games) 11-16 68.8%

2002 Billy Cundiff 12-19 63.2%

2003 Billy Cundiff 23-29 79.3%

2004 Billy Cundiff 20-26 76.9%

So there you have it, in 14 years of being our kicking coach we had 5 seasons of good kicking and one of those was us signing a 13 year vet when Hoffmans prospect failed

Hoffman's kickers career FG%? 365-471 thats about 77%

Also Novak?? :laugh2: