Anyone oppose signing JPP in offseason?

SDCowboy

Reaction score
At this point, I'm not opposed to bringing in anyone who would help our pathetic, non-existent pass rush.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Nope. I prefer players on the upswing of their careers, not the downswing.

If it were a reasonable deal, then you have to look but JPP is looking to get paid after playing on the franchise tag.

fishspill

Reaction score
Maybe. What's the contract? The vets I want to see brought in are AD and DeSean Jackson. I figure they might not break the bank to join this team.

conner01

Reaction score
Jpp without a doubt would be an upgrade but I'm not sure the $$$ would be right.

He's shown in the past he will play hardball when it comes to negotiating salary terms.
That worked out short term for him. Made nearly 25 mil over the last two years but don't know that he has helped his long term value. Teams know he played hardball and they know he hasn't been what he was expected to be.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It all depends on the money, but I'd be for taking a look at ol' Ginger Root if he's on the market, sure.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
5 1/2 of his sacks came from playing two teams, the Browns and Bears.

So he has a whopping 1 1/2 sacks in the other 9 games.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
A 10 sack pace is not lighting it up? Hes on pace for a pretty great season.

For us? At this point, might as well start building the bust if someone had 10 sacks here.

But realistically speaking, her ranks 17th in the league in sacks at the moment. It's a fine season, and he's a fine player. But wouldn't we have to pay an enormous contract to land him in free agency?

That's the buzzkill for me. It's so difficult for the production to ever match the contract, and it becomes an albatross hanging around your neck for years to come.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This guy is at a decent age and has reborn his career. He is a total beast to handle on the outside. Something we sorely miss.
When looking at free agents, there needs to be a reason that their current team will be unlikely to re-sign them; otherwise you'll have to way overpay for them to get them away from their current team. The reason could be lack of cap space, scheme change and/or coaching staff change or some personal issue between the player and team/coach or the team could have stocked up on high draft picks at that position in recent years..

It appears that the Giants still have plenty of cap space for the future years. They do have 2015 third round pick Owa Odighizuwa, but it does not appear they have much quality depth at DE.

The best DE is probably Chandler Jones, but AZ does not appear to have cap problems or a premium young replacement and could franchise him. He is 26, has 8 sacks and 12.5 sacks last season. He is playing as a 3-4 OLB but has plenty of size to play 4-3 DE.

I wonder if Nick Perry (Packers) would be better in a 4-3. The Packers often don't bid to keep their free agents like other teams would. Perry (6-3, 265, age 26) has 8 sacks this season.

The Packers also have Datone Jones who is listed as an OLB but IIRC has played some DE in their 3-4. He is not as accomplished as Perry but also might be better in a 4-3 (6-4, 280); although, he is likely a SDE which the Cowboys don't need nearly as much as they need a WDE. Lawrence could move back to SDE if they had a legit WDE (RDE).

Free Agents:
http://overthecap.com/free-agency/

bb721

Reaction score
Was it last year that he played on the tag?

Yes. He didn't sign it before the deadline for it to be fully guaranteed for $14.8M so he only received a prorated portion of the salary based upon the number of games played after he came back from the injury.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Yes. He didn't sign it before the deadline for it to be fully guaranteed for $14.8M so he only received a prorated portion of the salary based upon the number of games played after he came back from the injury.
Ah, Gotcha. Thanks for the correction.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Dallas needs to draft a DE round 1

Free is also getting long in the tooth. I'm not convinced Collins will ever play tackle in the at a high level and Chaz is another question mark.

You're right though. Dallas seriously needs to start addressing the DL.

haleyrules

Reaction score
When looking at free agents, there needs to be a reason that their current team will be unlikely to re-sign them; otherwise you'll have to way overpay for them to get them away from their current team. The reason could be lack of cap space, scheme change and/or coaching staff change or some personal issue between the player and team/coach or the team could have stocked up on high draft picks at that position in recent years..

It appears that the Giants still have plenty of cap space for the future years. They do have 2015 third round pick Owa Odighizuwa, but it does not appear they have much quality depth at DE.

The best DE is probably Chandler Jones, but AZ does not appear to have cap problems or a premium young replacement and could franchise him. He is 26, has 8 sacks and 12.5 sacks last season. He is playing as a 3-4 OLB but has plenty of size to play 4-3 DE.

I wonder if Nick Perry (Packers) would be better in a 4-3. The Packers often don't bid to keep their free agents like other teams would. Perry (6-3, 265, age 26) has 8 sacks this season.

The Packers also have Datone Jones who is listed as an OLB but IIRC has played some DE in their 3-4. He is not as accomplished as Perry but also might be better in a 4-3 (6-4, 280); although, he is likely a SDE which the Cowboys don't need nearly as much as they need a WDE. Lawrence could move back to SDE if they had a legit WDE (RDE).

Free Agents:

Interesting. Nick Perry, young and certainly a possibility considering the way the Packers handle FA's.