Anyone own a Walther PPK in .380

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Had one for awhile ended up trading it. They are alright but can be real finicky as to what ammo they prefer, I went through a bunch of brands(Winchester white box ones & reloads were total jamfests) and ended up sticking with Federal Hydra-Shoks

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Had one for awhile ended up trading it. They are alright but can be real finicky as to what ammo they prefer, I went through a bunch of brands(Winchester white box ones & reloads were total jamfests) and ended up sticking with Federal Hydra-Shoks

Thanks.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Always wanted one, till I got the opportunity to "test drive" one. They bite pretty bad on the web of your hand. Ended up getting a Russian(Baikal) Makarov instead, and absolutely love it.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot, my Makarov is chambered for 9mm Makarov, but there are some out there chambered in .380

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Check out the Bersa Thunder. A buddy has one and I am very impressed with it. If I hadn't just bought a Keltec P-3AT I would have the Bersa.

FWIW the Keltec runs great after a fluff n buff and a couple hundred rounds through it. Not much fun to shoot but most of the pocket pistols aren't.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Always wanted one, till I got the opportunity to "test drive" one. They bite pretty bad on the web of your hand. Ended up getting a Russian(Baikal) Makarov instead, and absolutely love it.

I have owned a Makarov. Cool little gun. Built like a tank, same

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Check out the Bersa Thunder. A buddy has one and I am very impressed with it. If I hadn't just bought a Keltec P-3AT I would have the Bersa.

FWIW the Keltec runs great after a fluff n buff and a couple hundred rounds through it. Not much fun to shoot but most of the pocket pistols aren't.

I have the Bersa 383A. Love that gun. Also have the PPK and the Makarov. (PPK is of the WWII vintage.) Of the three.....Bersa. Hands down.

I think 'Bersa' is Beretta - South American?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Almost forgot, my Makarov is chambered for 9mm Makarov, but there are some out there chambered in .380

Makarov is a 9x18. A silly millimeter less than a luger 9mm. I have heard......don't know how true it is.......that folks have fired .380 thru the Makarov 9mm.

I wouldn't do it.

To the OP......The walther is a great gun. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I have fired 380 through a Walther PP chambered in 9mm Kurz. IT was a mistake as the rounds look almost the same. It fired and I had no bad experience but it was a stupid mistake.
I also have a Walther PPKS. Dont believe it has ever jammed, but if you are considering it for concealed carry I would highly recommend a Bersa Thunder. Bersa is a copy anyway and if you ever have to use it to defend yourself, it will be much easier to swallow losing the Bersa as it is much cheaper.
I own a small gun shop and we have sold a ton of the Bersas and have never had one returned.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I've always heard good things about the Walther, but never owned one. I carry a sig p238, and it is an awesome gun.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
My father has a plain PPK in blue. It's pretty old and was well before the Smith and Wesson bye out. I've shot it about a million times and never had any issue with what it would feed or how it handled. I've got both a Glock G27 sub compact .40 and a Ruger LCR .357 that I personally like better. They're just more accurate guns for me. The PPK does have a fantastic hand feel though and you don't want to put it down.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Just found a Taurus pt738 tcp .380 acp. $200 at Academy sports. Think I'll pick one up to fill the mouse gun role and save myself $500 in the process.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Just curious what you thought of it.

what do you want out of a gun?

power? nope.
name? check.
knock down? - nope.

walther is a good gun name but my question is why a .380? you kinda got a pissed off .22 and the hiding of the gun is why most people get a .380.

so my question to you is - why a .380?

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
what do you want out of a gun?

power? nope.
name? check.
knock down? - nope.

walther is a good gun name but my question is why a .380? you kinda got a pissed off .22 and the hiding of the gun is why most people get a .380.

so my question to you is - why a .380?

As a small easly carried gun. Like I said a 2 Am need Cig's go to 7-11 when I dont fell like getting dressed and slaping on the .45 Acp. I wouldnt ever rely on a .380 as a general carry weapon, but with the right ammo it can be better than a pointy stick.

ologan

Reaction score
As a small easly carried gun. Like I said a 2 Am need Cig's go to 7-11 when I dont fell like getting dressed and slaping on the .45 Acp. I wouldnt ever rely on a .380 as a general carry weapon, but with the right ammo it can be better than a pointy stick.

Hmmm.....sorta like a golfer's golf bag....what club should I use in this situation? Don't need the driver when the putter will do!
I've got a S&W 9mm that I will most likely augment very soon with a "driver", or at least a "fairway wood", so to speak. I would really love to have a Colt Combat Commander .45, because that's the weapon I fired thousands of rounds thru in the service. Too expensive, though.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I have a Kaltec as its only a backup. I just don't carry anymore anyway and seldom have a weapon in the vehicle although I suspect that's a mistake. I don't like the 380 but its better than me trying to run which I can't seem to do anymore. You just have to put the round(s) where they need to go. And that's not so easy with that light of a gun. It's more difficult for me to be accurate with that than my Commander or 9mm.