anyone seen the searchers?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i've never seen it...........but i'm interested.

one of the prettiest ladies ever is in it..,.. as well as the duke.

what are your thoughts?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I thought Clark Gable was in the Searchers? that was his and Marilyn Monroe's last movie was it not?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
searchers_large2.jpg

It's a classic, I've seen it 1000 times. Good one..

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2780339 said:
I thought Clark Gable was in the Searchers? that was his and Marilyn Monroe's last movie was it not?

the misfits?

never saw that one either.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2780339 said:

:lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::laugh2::laugh2::banghead::banghead::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::laugh2::laugh1::laugh1:

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2780362 said:
:lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::laugh2::laugh2::banghead::banghead::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::laugh2::laugh1::laugh1:

he was just asking a question..

lighten up a bit.

your response was a little loud.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
lane;2780405 said:
he was just asking a question..

lighten up a bit.

your response was a little loud.

:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::bow::bow::bow::bow::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh2::laugh2::D:D:D:D

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Someone gave it to me as a gift for my birthday a couple of years ago...still in the wrapper.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
It is widely considered by Western movie Historians to be the best western ever made. There is a professor here at Arizona (Sheridan) who teaches an entire seminar breaking down every scene in this movie which is full of symbolism.

In other words, it is great.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
What he said. That shot of the Duke approaching and stepping into a doorway is one of the most iconic in all of film.

You'll enjoy it - a real good movie.

Searchers28_jpg.jpg

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SuspectCorner;2780581 said:
What he said. That shot of the Duke approaching and stepping into a doorway is one of the most iconic in all of film.

You'll enjoy it - a real good movie.

Searchers28_jpg.jpg
Little known fact according to Professor Sheridan. In that scene John Wayne is paying tribute to his friend and sometimes co-star, Harry Carey Sr. who had a habit of standing and holding his arm that way.

Ethan's favorite saying in the movie, "that'll be the day" inspired the song of the same name by Buddy Holly.

This movie impacted Hollywood and beyond.

burmafrd

Reaction score
It always amazed me how often the snobs of Hollywood ignored Westerns and particularly the Duke. But then again these are the same idiots that worship Woody Allen.

Searchers, True Grit, Rio Bravo, the Shootist, the Duke made a bunch of western movies that had a lot more grit and bite then anything woody allen ever did.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
My favorite thing about The Searchers is the Buddy Holly angle that Hos mentioned.

It's not my favorite John Wayne movie ... not even close. It's a little bit dark for me.

I don't think it's a bad movie at all and I respect that it's considered a classic, but it's just not my cup of tea.

It was one of Wayne's favorites and Ethan Edwards was one of Wayne's favorite characters. He named his third son after the character.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
burmafrd;2780637 said:
It always amazed me how often the snobs of Hollywood ignored Westerns and particularly the Duke. But then again these are the same idiots that worship Woody Allen.

Searchers, True Grit, Rio Bravo, the Shootist, the Duke made a bunch of western movies that had a lot more grit and bite then anything woody allen ever did.

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
burmafrd;2780637 said:

I can't say there is a single movie that pederass has made that I either enjoyed or finished watching.

DallasCowpoke;2781309 said:
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

best-quote-george-castanza--large-msg-123640716697.jpg

Guli

Reaction score
This movie a little darker than most. That being said I love it and have watched it more times than I can remember. It would never pass the pc police of today. Buy it if it is not already in your collection.:shoot1:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief;2780792 said:
My favorite thing about The Searchers is the Buddy Holly angle that Hos mentioned.

It's not my favorite John Wayne movie ... not even close. It's a little bit dark for me.

I don't think it's a bad movie at all and I respect that it's considered a classic, but it's just not my cup of tea.

It was one of Wayne's favorites and Ethan Edwards was one of Wayne's favorite characters. He named his third son after the character.
I forgot about that. This 3rd son played his kidnapped grandson in the move "Big Jake."