Anyone still mad about paying Dak?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Nope and even if we would have signed him earlier (which would’ve been smart then) he’d be ready for a raise and all that goes along with

sean10mm

Reaction score
The cap has no effect on anything 99% of the time anymore. There is so much sketchy cap accounting at this point that teams can just push cap problems down the road indefinitely until they don't have a QB, at which point they don't matter because a) without a QB you're not winning anyway, and b) if you don't have a QB, you're also not PAYING a QB, which fixes the problem anyway.

The Pats had like 1 bad cap year after Brady left and then had unlimited cap space again like nothing happened.

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is that he only signed for 4 years. Josh Allen signed for 6.

This rigamarole will start all over again in 2 years. But let's enjoy it for now and hope they get some trophies before then

lkelly

Reaction score
The Pats had like 1 bad cap year after Brady left and then had unlimited cap space again like nothing happened.

That's a strange example since the Pats constantly paid Brady under market value. I don't know that they ever had a major cap crisis because they would frequently get rid of potentially high cap players before the regret contracts were given out.

I think the Pats were a case of really good coaching and an all time QB that could help them collectively compensate for poor drafting.

I think the Rams are a better case study when it comes to cap management and their compensating strategy is to give away first round picks.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Never was mad but I do think it is a lot of money and feel the QB position around the league tends to overpay. Cowboys did what they needed to do but it comes with some pain.
yes, that's the issue......however the easiest path to a superbowl is by having a QB....and given league rules have changed to favor offenses the QB is key.

now, you can win with a great defense, but actually it will cost more. you will need several big time players to succeed having a dominant defense...if you hit it when they are on their first contract, then you are lucky, otherwise you have to pay several players a lot of money....and its harder...that's why teams gamble on QBs so much. over draft. over pay. its actually the cheaper way of being competitive.

rambo2

Reaction score
This is one of the best Cowboy teams in the history of the franchise and they are set up to be the best team in the division as long as Dak is the qb. Anybody that is mad about his contract is just stupid.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
yes, that's the issue......however the easiest path to a superbowl is by having a QB....and given league rules have changed to favor offenses the QB is key.

now, you can win with a great defense, but actually it will cost more. you will need several big time players to succeed having a dominant defense...if you hit it when they are on their first contract, then you are lucky, otherwise you have to pay several players a lot of money....and its harder...that's why teams gamble on QBs so much. over draft. over pay. its actually the cheaper way of being competitive.

Understand all that and never objected with the signing of Dak. I do think that owners have put themselves in a bind with these QB contracts that will only continue to increase at a higher percentage than other positions. Dallas paid a lot for Dak, you better believe Kyler Murray agent and Lamar Jackson agents see this as well. Even teams like Cleveland and Baker Mayfield, that is tough because Mayfield is the 1st QB in Cleveland who has done anything, are they willing to lose him in hopes of finding better? I think QB pay has gotten out of control but it is by the owners own doing.