Anyone still mad about paying Dak?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes..

Paying elite QBs usually doesn’t bring championships and even though Dak is playing like he is elite he has to win a championship and his contract will eventually make it difficult unless the cap grows so much that it’s not an issue.

Dallas did an amazing job putting a team like this on the field with all of the high salaries.

Dallas has to capitalize on this year because with these contracts repeating this year won’t be easy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
could’ve had him for less money than JARED GOFF.

:facepalm:

Yeah but then Goff contract along with Wentz were the highest contracts at that given time. Dak has already dropped in 3rd in cost of contract. Dak contract will not look out of line much longer

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Understand all that and never objected with the signing of Dak. I do think that owners have put themselves in a bind with these QB contracts that will only continue to increase at a higher percentage than other positions. Dallas paid a lot for Dak, you better believe Kyler Murray agent and Lamar Jackson agents see this as well. Even teams like Cleveland and Baker Mayfield, that is tough because Mayfield is the 1st QB in Cleveland who has done anything, are they willing to lose him in hopes of finding better? I think QB pay has gotten out of control but it is by the owners own doing.
I agree, but the cap is working as intended....at the end of the day, they want to win a championship. way over pay someone and you are in a bind and see your QB running for his life or not having support or your defense getting gashed at historical pace..... the market will adjust, for now there is room on the cap to pay QBs more than any other position.....

perhaps, if this is a continuing issue, for sake of competitiveness (which is what NFL tried to do with salary cap), they will come up with some type of revision of CBA to handle QB salaries differently. not sure if there is a good answer to that....its probably flawed thinking, but just htinking out loud

dckid

Reaction score
Serious Question.
I am eating crow. I thought it was a colossal mistake to pay him that money. If he stays healthy it’s a wise move. The only caveat I would have is, if we never get a championship game and keep flaming out in the playoffs then what was the benefit? If he has a Romo career than what is the point? The reality is this team has not even mad a championship game since 1996, so I no longer say SB or bust because it is a process and the FO needs to have urgency. Just saying we like our guys is not good enough. The FO should be looking to improve the roster everyday. Your potential window can close in the blink of an eye. Just look at the chiefs… they have two weapons and now they are in trouble. BTW, I would really be selling Gallup for a number 1 right to me. They are desperate and the whole league knows it.
I really jumped to several topics here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree, but the cap is working as intended....at the end of the day, they want to win a championship. way over pay someone and you are in a bind and see your QB running for his life or not having support or your defense getting gashed at historical pace..... the market will adjust, for now there is room on the cap to pay QBs more than any other position.....

perhaps, if this is a continuing issue, for sake of competitiveness (which is what NFL tried to do with salary cap), they will come up with some type of revision of CBA to handle QB salaries differently. not sure if there is a good answer to that....its probably flawed thinking, but just htinking out loud

I don't disagree, I think it is crazy considering as important as QB is, it is also a position that relies on those around him. No blocking up front and QB has problems, WR not making plays QB numbers do not look at great.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
You want a franchise QB in the NFL these days? Well, you're going to have to overpay for him then. Just how it works these days.

There's a reason why a team like Miami is allegedly willing to give up an exorbitant amount of draft capital to get D. Watson even though he may be suspended or if the accusations are true, should probably be put behind bars.

Franchise QBs are very hard to come by. I am willing to bet that only one or two of last years "future franchise" QB's that were drafted in the 1st round end up being franchise QBs when all is said and done. History has shown that this is likely.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You want a franchise QB in the NFL these days? Well, you're going to have to overpay for him then. Just how it works these days.

There's a reason why a team like Miami is allegedly willing to give up an exorbitant amount of draft capital to get D. Watson even though he may be suspended or if the accusations are true, should probably be put behind bars.

Franchise QBs are very hard to come by. I am willing to bet that only one or two of last years "future franchise" QB's that were drafted in the 1st round end up being franchise QBs when all is said and done. History has shown that this is likely.

Bingo. Look at the number of teams that have been riding the “QB carousel” for years.

The jets
Dolphins
Bears
Washington
Broncos

And look at recent history.

some teams literally suffer with poor QB play for decades at a time, despite using first rounders on guys.

it’s so dang hard to find a QB as good as Dak. You could literally spend 10 years and 3 first rounders on QB’s and not get one as good as Dak.

I would rather they keep Dak and try to figure out the cap situation instead.

Xeven

Reaction score
Not Dak in particular. I don’t like how certain positions ruin the rest f the team.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Too early to tell but I think many were frustrated when his agent turned down the $35M/season offer given salaries are going through the roof. As fans we get frustrated seeing what these guys make and having them hold out for an additional $5M/year but it is what it is.
Now that the deal is done, it comes down to Dak leading the team to the Super Bowl and how his contract may or may not impact the overall team salary in terms of talent retention and acquisition.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I can assure you there are dopes on this board who believe we would still be 5-1 with a lower priced QB. Despite the success we’ve had there’s fans still complaining about his contract.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
83305339.jpg

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
By then, Jerry had already waited too long.

He had been trying to sign him for two years. This was a huge contract and it took time. Dak and his agent created the hold up. Jerry finally had to give in to beat the deadline.