Anyone still mad about paying Dak?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Upset? Far from it. Do I worry about the teams ability to keep talent over the next 2-4 years? Absolutely. I do fear what that contract may do to this team down the road, but I cant complain because he is the only chance this team has today. The window is open for a run right now, and Jerry really didnt have a choice but to resign Dak. Dak just took him to the cleaners over this deal though. Get this team a superbowl over the next 3 years and the rest doesnt even really matter.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
He had been trying to sign him for two years. This was a huge contract and it took time. Dak and his agent created the hold up. Jerry finally had to give in.
Not sure that is completely true. Dak was willing to sign earlier he just needed top dollar to do so....the sad part is top dollar a couple years ago was the $30-35MM per year which is super affordable with the current cap structure.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Cap hits like Dak's, Amari and Lawrence will kill you if you don't draft well. If you draft well you can maintain. Gallup, Shultz, Gregory - those are the guys you end up losing when you pay the big bucks to the top positions. We are already 13 million over the cap for next year. It is not sustainable.

Almost 75% to the top 7 players. 67% (150 million to the offense).

I think Demarcus goes to make room for Gregory unless he just kills it in the last half of the season. Cooper very well could go to make room for Gallup if his injuries persist. Depending on the cost of Shultz, Jarwin could go or Jarwin stays and Shultz goes.

QB is the hardest position to replace through the draft but would our long term future be better with a guy like Mac Jones making 2.8 mill this year? All the Dak foamers will get their panties in a wad over this post but if we don't win the Super Bowl this year our future cap space looks bleak if we don't draft really well!

Dak's cap number means he has to overcome a lot of team deficiencies in the future.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not sure that is completely true. Dak was willing to sign earlier he just needed top dollar to do so....the sad part is top dollar a couple years ago was the $30-35MM per year which is super affordable with the current cap structure.

According to reports Dak wanted 40 million close to 2 years ago. We were willing to make him the highest paid QB in the league but it came down to the length of the contract. For close to two years that’s been the hold up. Stephen even said that was the hold up. He wanted a contract exceeding Russell Wilson’s and he was offered that but wanted fewer years. The Cowboys obviously wanted to lock him down for a long time.

Proof

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is that he only signed for 4 years. Josh Allen signed for 6.

This rigamarole will start all over again in 2 years. But let's enjoy it for now and hope they get some trophies before then

josh also is getting more money than dak. no one here wanted dak to even get 35 and josh is getting 43 per for those 6

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes..

Paying elite QBs usually doesn’t bring championships and even though Dak is playing like he is elite he has to win a championship and his contract will eventually make it difficult unless the cap grows so much that it’s not an issue.

Dallas did an amazing job putting a team like this on the field with all of the high salaries.

Dallas has to capitalize on this year because with these contracts repeating this year won’t be easy.
It doesn’t? Manning, Brady, brees.

and weren’t you just pointing out how the cowboys can win with dak this year?

another laughable flip flop. You can’t even keep your story straight anymore.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

More teams win SB with a QB that doesn’t have a Franchise Player Max salary (2005-2020) Only 3 times in the last 15 years has the Super Bowl winning QB been a top five highest paid QB that season. In fact this years winning QB Brady was the 10th highest paid and Mahomes was the 24th as his megamax deal has not kicked in yet. With all the QB movement this offseason its no wonder Goff (on a max was an add on) Wentz cant be traded and Dallas doesn't want Dak this Max deals become albatrosses, but its rarely talked about. You cant win a Super Bowl with a Max Contract QB. what you need is a stud QB on a rookie contract or TB12 which were the previous winners

Results

Of the last 15 Super Bowl winners the average winning quarterback salary was 8 percent of their team’s overall cap.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/max-qb-sb-ring-facts-data-ryan-mccumber

sean10mm

Reaction score
That's a strange example since the Pats constantly paid Brady under market value. I don't know that they ever had a major cap crisis because they would frequently get rid of potentially high cap players before the regret contracts were given out.

I think the Pats were a case of really good coaching and an all time QB that could help them collectively compensate for poor drafting.

I think the Rams are a better case study when it comes to cap management and their compensating strategy is to give away first round picks.

Yeah I cited the Pats and probably should have gone with the Saints, who were in ~cap doomsday~ every year supposedly and nothing happened and they had good rosters the entire tail end of Brees's career.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I wasn't one that had strong feelings about the contract

But he's played 6 games on his new deal.
Kind of early to be asking the question, though I guess it is an open forum.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Brady alone has won more than that. Your theory is BS.

only time the rookie contract thing works is when you have a SB caliber team already in place. And on top of that the rookie coming typically needs to be a future HOFer. And then you only have 4 or 5 years to get it done.

Good luck with that.