Anyone Still Want to Cut Stanback?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've seen that speed. It's almost like he doesn't really hit the afterburners often enough.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
He had some good returns in the PS, but no one remembers that. They just remember the fumble.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Give him time. He's given us about the same amount as Austin did in 2 years, before catching on in year 3.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I want some 4 receiver sets next year of TO, RW11, MA, and IS.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
3yr rule definitely...he needs more time

he has some great athletic ability if he can ever stay healthy long enough.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I like him and if he can stay healthy, and on the field, he can definately be a help to us.

cowboys5

Benched
Reaction score
once felix gets back we really wont need him on special teamssss

if he produces on offense i wont mind keeping him

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Like alot of our players, it's just a matter of him staying on the field. The athleticsm is there, no doubt about it.

I really loved his big return. Nice to see someone make some plays in the return game. It has been a while.

I just hope he can develop into more than an injury-prone special teamer.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Tyson Thompson had a few TDs as returner, led the NFL in kickoff returns one year (I think) .. but got cut .

My problem with Stanback is that he's never going to be a receiver in the NFL.

He's a great guy as a person, a smart and dedicated guy, but I wonder where he should play in the NFL ....stout body type, runs downfield with forward momentum, but like guys with a big frame, he can't change direction/cut efficiently. He's like Barber trying to play WR. He loses speed in his cuts. He's run back kicks, since late last year, about one full season so far, and today's return was his best. OK, but has he ever done anything really?

Witten, not so fast, has a knack of getting upfield. So does Crayton. Neither are as fast as Stanback.

Stanback is a pretty stout guy who just can't get upfield efficiently. I said the same thing about Antonio Bryant .. maybe Stanback can have a little breakout season like Antonio someday ..

Stanback would be a better RB or FB. Seriously. Should we try him there? ... Stanback backing up Choice wouldn't be a bad idea ...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
igtmfo;2448637 said:
Tyson Thompson had a few TDs as returner, led the NFL in kickoff returns one year (I think) .. but got cut .
Tyson Thompson never had a TD as a returner, and he never led the NFL in kickoff returns.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2448643 said:
Tyson Thompson never had a TD as a returner, and he never led the NFL in kickoff returns.

plus Tyson ever stopped on a dime to reverse field either

Stanback is raw, but he's not the stiff he's being portrayed as

Tex

Reaction score
igtmfo;2448637 said:
Stanback is a pretty stout guy who just can't get upfield efficiently. I said the same thing about Antonio Bryant .. maybe Stanback can have a little breakout season like Antonio someday ..

A.B. wishes he had Stanbacks speed. This was the best receiver comparison you could come up with? A.B. ran great routes but didnt have his speed. A.B.'s prob was not physical for a receiver. He has been a goofball.

Tex

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2448647 said:
plus Tyson ever stopped on a dime to reverse field either

Stanback is raw, but he's not the stiff he's being portrayed as

Thompson averaged just under 25 yard per return over 3 years. He is clearly a better returner than Stanback today's long return notwithstanding.

Stanback has a lot of Miles Austin in him and that's not bad but neither of those guys can touch Felix Jones as a kick returner.

And neither of those guys have helped us much at WR for whatever reason.

So they are just depth guys and we can't have 3 or 4 of them at that spot long term, someone needs to step up, stay healthy and contribute as a receiver or learn to return punts well.

Stanback isn't a total bum or anything but its not looking like he is a good use of a 3rd round pick that's for sure.

We didn't trade for Roy Williams to replace T.O. we traded for him because we didn't trust our depth guys to be upper crust 2's and 3's.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;2448661 said:
Thompson averaged just under 25 yard per return over 3 years. He is clearly a better returner than Stanback today's TD notwithstanding.

Stanback has a lot of Miles Austin in him and that's not bad but neither of those guys can touch Felix Jones as a kick returner.

So they are just depth guys and we can't have 3 or 4 of them at that spot long term, someone needs to step up, stay healthy and contribute as a receiver or learn to return punts well.

Stanback isn't a total bum or anything but its not looking like he is a good use of a 3rd round pick that's for sure.

We didn't trade for Roy Williams to replace T.O. we traded for him because we didn't trust our depth guys to be upper crust 2's and 3's.

Austin's problem is he's been hurt twice this year, he was coming on in the Commanders game

and apparently Stanback looks really good in practice, although still raw

I just think both haven't earned the trust of Romo yet, and that's pretty important because he looks for TO and Witten every time

these guys were UDFAs and 4th round picks for a reason, you're gonna have to give them a few years, well Austin had his, and is starting to look like something, a 4th receiver at least

I dont' think the Roy Williams trade is an indictment on them either, they'll never be him, dude is a very good receiver

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jterrell;2448661 said:
Thompson averaged just under 25 yard per return over 3 years. He is clearly a better returner than Stanback today's TD notwithstanding.

Hmmm....Austin was taking over the #3 receiver spot and made several crucial catches in the past month.

Stanback is just now in his 16th month of actually playing WR.

T-NMan-41

Reaction score
:lombardi:

Once Felix returns he will be as a running back not a kick returner Stanbach will be the kick returner. I wish that he would have ran it back for a TD, that might have saved his job for next season. Stanbach will be a dominant receiver once he is completely healthy and adjusts and learns the new position, the off season training with Joe Jurasyck will set him on the right path. The guy has BLAZIN SPEED.......... You can't teach that.... you either have it or you don't!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE Is Super fast ........................His body frame is built for power and explosiveness..... Be patient he will deliver just what we need speed and power.................

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
theogt;2448668 said:
Hmmm....Austin was taking over the #3 receiver spot and made several crucial catches in the past month.

Stanback is just now in his 16th month of actually playing WR.

yawn....

Austin has 12 catches on the year, Crayton has 31. Austin may be gaining some PT but he still doesn't do much on the actual field yet at WR though he does look like a legit speed threat if he can stay healthy. At some point you gotta just do it tho, it can't be potential 4 years into the NFL.

Stanback has 2 career receptions.

FWIW Bennett has 15 receptions and 4 TDs. That is what a young guy how can develop into something special looks like.

BTW, most QBs who move to WR can develop quickly because they know offenses. For instance Patrick Crayton.

I don't hate either guy but we won't have roster room forever for these guys unless they actually perform. Stanback is especially vulnerable because he doesn't cover kicks and injuries aside wouldn't even be active on game days as a 2nd year guy. He is basically the defensive version of Bobby Carpenter.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
T-NMan-41;2448674 said:
:lombardi:

Once Felix returns he will be as a running back not a kick returner Stanbach will be the kick returner. I wish that he would have ran it back for a TD, that might have saved his job for next season. Stanbach will be a dominant receiver once he is completely healthy and adjusts and learns the new position, the off season training with Joe Jurasyck will set him on the right path. The guy has BLAZIN SPEED.......... You can't teach that.... you either have it or you don't!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE Is Super fast ........................His body frame is built for power and explosiveness..... Be patient he will deliver just what we need speed and power.................

Felix Jones will remain our kick returner in all likelihood because he is a huge weapon there. Stanback isn't gonna be active to return kicks most weeks unless he can pass a couple WRs on the depth chart.

T.O.
RW
Austin
Crayton
Hurd
Stanback....

Now the Hurd, Crayton, Austin ranking is subject to change but we won't keep 5 and especially not 6 WRs active.