Anyone Still Want to Cut Stanback?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Ozzu;2448592 said:
It's been a while since I've seen that speed. It's almost like he doesn't really hit the afterburners often enough.

I don't really think he hit the "afterburners" on that return either. I thought he had it sealed for a touchdown but he got caught.

goshan

Reaction score
Still looked a little stiff to me. Austin is smoother and they look similar on speed (neither is a burner).
One or two returns to the 45 doesn't change whether or not he becomes a long-term player in the NFL. He has to show a lot more than that.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
One good game and suddenly he's redeemed and everyone else was wrong? Jeez.

links18

Reaction score
bbgun;2449544 said:
One good game and suddenly he's redeemed and everyone else was wrong? Jeez.

Don't forget after one game against the 2 win Seahags, Holland is better than Kosier--who many people said was the saviour of our season last week. So what does that make Holland? Who is better than the saviour? :lmao2:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I need to see more than one return and know he can stay healthy. When Felix comes back he will be returning kickoffs. Why? Because he's better at it. Stanback will still be battling to be on the active roster on gameday.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
igtmfo;2448740 said:
the Patriots sent their 110th pick (fourth round) to the Raiders .. for freaking RANDY MOSS ..

That's where I stopped reading. Dude, it's The Raiders.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
igtmfo;2448637 said:
Tyson Thompson had a few TDs as returner, led the NFL in kickoff returns one year (I think) .. but got cut .

My problem with Stanback is that he's never going to be a receiver in the NFL.

He's a great guy as a person, a smart and dedicated guy, but I wonder where he should play in the NFL ....stout body type, runs downfield with forward momentum, but like guys with a big frame, he can't change direction/cut efficiently. He's like Barber trying to play WR. He loses speed in his cuts. He's run back kicks, since late last year, about one full season so far, and today's return was his best. OK, but has he ever done anything really?

Witten, not so fast, has a knack of getting upfield. So does Crayton. Neither are as fast as Stanback.

Stanback is a pretty stout guy who just can't get upfield efficiently. I said the same thing about Antonio Bryant .. maybe Stanback can have a little breakout season like Antonio someday ..

Stanback would be a better RB or FB. Seriously. Should we try him there? ... Stanback backing up Choice wouldn't be a bad idea ...

I'd put him on defense and FS is the best position for him. But if he can't stay healthy at WR then safety blows for him. He has the size and speed to play FS or SS for that matter. I doubt he's played any defense since HS other than running after guys who intercepted his passes.

tunahelper

Reaction score
He will cost us a fumble the way he chicken wings the ball during returns. If you watch the replay look how he is losing the ball as he goes down during that long return.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't one who wanted him cut but I would like to see us upgrade his roster spot next year. He may be this great athlete but can he play football? So far I'm still not sold.

utrunner07

Reaction score
cowboys5;2448621 said:
once felix gets back we really wont need him on special teamssss

if he produces on offense i wont mind keeping him

Earth to cowboys5, felix better not be on special teams when he comes back.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2448794 said:
Stanback has the physical tools to be a #1 or #2 in this league.

He only played a couple of games at WR total in college and was essentially redshirted his rookie year. Heck hes not even in his third year and people are willing to write him off.

Oh whoever said he loses speed when he cuts is ********. On the 58 yard return he went up into the wedge to the right and then cutback left. If anything out of that cut he was faster.

Oh and Austin as a UDFA was beating out Crayton for the 3rd WR spot so yawn all you want but I'll take Ray Sherman's opinion over yours.

I dont care whose opinion you take. You simply can't argue with actual numbers.

Austin looks fast as heck on the field and he plays hard but he hasn't played much at WR and every time he seems poised to make a move up the depth chart he gets injured.

Sherman can adopt him as his son, marry him in one of the states that allow that or tout him as a future hall of famer but none of that means anything until he puts up numbers.

I am not giving you opinions, I am giving you facts. 17 catches in his career.

Crayton just this season has 31 recepts and had 70 catches by the end of his 3rd season as an equally undrafted free agent.

He should be back soon and we'll see if he can achieve that assumed 3rd WR role he gets handed but never actually held.

newlander

Reaction score
I like his athletecism like everyone else: but he has to stay on the field: period. Has had a glass jaw until now. He's learning how NOT to take huge hits returning kicks and that's an important art in the NFL or you won't play or live long.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
casmith07;2448581 said:
Not a bad day of returns, eh?

I realize you are pointing out his value on special teams but that said, it's amazing how the game has changed since my early days of watching. Since the preseason the fans have been discussing wr's, whether we need to keep 5, should Amendola play, how Hurd and Austin's injuires might affect us, whether Stanback should play.

In 1975 a year we went to the super bowl, not one single pass was completed to a backup wr until late in the 4th quarter of the bowl and thats because Richards got hurt. They did use 2 te's and throw alot to rb's but not one pass was completed to a wr besides Richards or Pearson all year. Amazing. Its a different game in so many ways.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2449770 said:
I wasn't one who wanted him cut but I would like to see us upgrade his roster spot next year. He may be this great athlete but can he play football? So far I'm still not sold.
more/quality saftey depth would be nice...

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
igtmfo;2448637 said:
Stanback would be a better RB or FB. Seriously. Should we try him there? ... Stanback backing up Choice wouldn't be a bad idea ...

Alrighty then.