Anyone Still Want to Cut Stanback?

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
jterrell;2448700 said:
yawn....

Austin has 12 catches on the year, Crayton has 31. Austin may be gaining some PT but he still doesn't do much on the actual field yet at WR though he does look like a legit speed threat if he can stay healthy. At some point you gotta just do it tho, it can't be potential 4 years into the NFL.

Stanback has 2 career receptions.

FWIW Bennett has 15 receptions and 4 TDs. That is what a young guy how can develop into something special looks like.

BTW, most QBs who move to WR can develop quickly because they know offenses. For instance Patrick Crayton.

I don't hate either guy but we won't have roster room forever for these guys unless they actually perform. Stanback is especially vulnerable because he doesn't cover kicks and injuries aside wouldn't even be active on game days as a 2nd year guy. He is basically the defensive version of Bobby Carpenter.

I agree on Stanback. He FINALLY showed something today on those returns (ah, some actual football instincts!) but he's far from having a solidified spot on this team in future years.

I also agree on Bennett. His MO coming into the league was that he was raw, undisciplined and would need time. He's responded by having one of the finer rookie seasons I can remember for a tight end -- at least here -- and this despite not even getting many looks in the passing game. Dude's unreal.

I do disagree, however, on Austin. I think he's a classic case of a guy steadily making strides into a legitimate NFL player. Early on, it was all potential. Then it was preseason flashes. But this year he's finally putting on film on game day. He's made some key catches, flashed his game speed, and made tough catches. His ONLY problem is durability, or else that third WR spot would be all his IMO. And, of course, durability is a huge concern. You're of no value long term if you're always hurt. He must show he can stay healthy more so than he must prove he can play, IMO. I don't think he's a starting-caliber player, but I think there's no doubt he was making Crayton expendable until he got hurt.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
jterrell;2448704 said:
Felix Jones will remain our kick returner in all likelihood because he is a huge weapon there. Stanback isn't gonna be active to return kicks most weeks unless he can pass a couple WRs on the depth chart.

T.O.
RW
Austin
Crayton
Hurd
Stanback....

Now the Hurd, Crayton, Austin ranking is subject to change but we won't keep 5 and especially not 6 WRs active.

Crayton's the big question mark moving forward. I know his cap hit isn't enormous, but a 15-or-so-million dollar contract isn't chump change for a 3rd WR. My hope, though, is that we don't let dollars dictate the decision unless we're just in dire straits with regards to the cap.

I like our wide receiver situation right now. Our top 4 is as good a top 4 as any in the league. Unload Crayton, and it's that much weaker. Even if Austin pushes Crayton out of that third spot, he's a quality player who makes some pretty good catches for this team.

igtmfo

Reaction score
theogt;2448643 said:
Tyson Thompson never had a TD as a returner, and he never led the NFL in kickoff returns.

Correct, sorry. Tyson had 1 TD rushing, not a kickoff return. But Thompson holds Cowboys single-season records (2005) for kickoff returns (57) and kickoff return yardage (1,399) ...9th in the NFL for KO average in 2005 ..

At least in 2005 he was 46-182 rushing for 4.0 average, less in 2006 and 2007.

Stanback will never amount to anything in the NFL as a WR, I state it again. He's a bull in the china closet as a receiver, a project of Jerry, Jeff Ireland, and others, who were afraid to miss a Randle El, another Hines Ward ...

Stupid Jerry. GMs Scott Pioli at New England and Jerry Reese at NY, and Coughlin and Belichick know how to build the cathedral, and Jerry is just staring up at it like a rube wondering how it's done ...

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
igtmfo;2448712 said:
Correct, sorry. Tyson had 1 TD rushing, not a kickoff return. But Thompson holds Cowboys single-season records (2005) for kickoff returns (57) and kickoff return yardage (1,399) ...9th in the NFL for KO average in 2005 ..

At least in 2005 he was 46-182 rushing for 4.0 average, less in 2006 and 2007.

Stanback will never amount to anything in the NFL as a WR, I state it again. He's a bull in the china closet as a receiver, a project of Jerry, Jeff Ireland, and others, who were afraid to miss a Randle El, another Hines Ward ...

Stupid Jerry. GMs Scott Pioli at New England and Jerry Reese at NY, and Coughlin and Belichick know how to build the cathedral, and Jerry is just staring up at it like a rube wondering how it's done ...

We're still bashing Jerry's drafts?

What, Felix, Jenkins, Bennett and Scandrick don't do it for you?

Every GM whiffs. We could do far worse than whiffing on Stanback.

"Stupid Jerry" ran this team a decade ago. He's obviously wised up considerably, and has better people surrounding him seemingly.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I don't get the hate for the Stanback pick

it was an extra 4th round pick used on a great athlete

sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don't, it was an educated gamble that we just don't know how it will pan out, but the staff is really high on him, so he must be showing them something

and it's not like this team is afraid to cut 4th round WRs *cough* Skyler Green *cough*

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2448720 said:

sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don't, it was an educated gamble that we just don't know how it will pan out, but the staff is really high on him, so he must be showing them something

and it's not like this team is afraid to cut 4th round WRs *cough* Skyler Green *cough*

Agreed.

I'm very, very down on Stanback, but I absolutely do not hate that we took the chance on the guy. Like you said, he's an athletic freak and other QBs-turned-WR have panned out. You take those gambles sometimes. And, hey, you never know, he might still pan out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

The only frustration with the pick is that we needed a starting caliber WR and we settled for a gamble on an athletic long shot who had no real chance to contribute early on.

The Green pick was simple, he was supposed to be a returner along the likes of Felix Jones except he couldn't do it. BP thought he was a Meggett type so he just got it wrong there.

We aren't gonna hit on every pick and the IS pick wasn't horrid but we needed a WR much more ready to help us at the time. Now, it is a non-issue because of the RW trade but look at how much we ended up paying in draft picks and salary to make up for the fact we couldn't draft a starting WR.

But imho Jerry has been running good drafts recently.
This past draft looks outstanding. Doing it after 13 wins is Patriot-like.

Scandrick, Jenkins, Felix, Bennett all look like long term fixtures and and potential stars.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Hey Rainman... sorry, but

Stanback was got with the 104th pick. (fourth round)

Oh, by the way, later that round ... the Patriots sent their 110th pick (fourth round) to the Raiders .. for freaking RANDY MOSS ..

Let me say this again ... the Cowboys could have had Randy Moss, plus a seventh round or so, for Isiah Stanback ..

This is why Jerry Jones should hire a GM, like the dude at Atlanta who trained under Pioli and has at this point as good or better a team than the Cowboys, although the Falcons were miserable last year.

The Cowboys under Jerry are like the Mavericks under the little whistle Donnie Nelson.

Jerry's daddys were the early 90s star scouts Dick Mansgerber etc. who picked all the star players Jimmy got from the Herschel Walker trade. Jimmy had a hand in it, but Mansgerber et al made the picks really, touted them to Jimmy and Jerry ...

Likewise Little Whistle Donnie Nelson gets credit for being GM when we got Dirk and Steve Nash, when it was totally his dad who ran the drafts and personnel during every year until he left (two years ago?)

Jerry should: a) retire. b) hire every scout from NY Giants and Pats that can be got without lawsuits about contracts ... hire all of them as co-GMs! .. so they all will be promoted and Jerry won't be guilty of the semi-promotions like he's done for years, hiring Sparano for years as assistant head coach, semi head coach, almost head coach, and anything he can to avoid fines ..

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score

You are looking at this objectively and making a good point.

I think it is the subjective that is driving the Stanback "hate." Post-draft day expectations for the guy were sky high. Jerry Jones fed it. The newspapers wrote article after article on the guy. Stanback is quite possibly the most overhyped 4th round draft pick in Cowboys history. And so folks are disappointed. The expectations have been so high.

But when you look at it objectively (and forget all of the hopeful hype), yeah, it isn't at all unusual for 4th round picks to fall short of greatness.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
igtmfo;2448740 said:
This is why Jerry Jones should hire a GM, like the dude at Atlanta who trained under Pioli and has at this point as good or better a team than the Cowboys, although the Falcons were miserable last year.

Ew. Im sorry but that might be one of the most ridiculous and naive things I have ever read on here.

I am just hoping you mistyped or something.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
igtmfo;2448740 said:
Hey Rainman... sorry, but

Stanback was got with the 104th pick. (fourth round)

Oh, by the way, later that round ... the Patriots sent their 110th pick (fourth round) to the Raiders .. for freaking RANDY MOSS ..

Let me say this again ... the Cowboys could have had Randy Moss, plus a seventh round or so, for Isiah Stanback ..

The Cowboys under Jerry are like the Mavericks under the little whistle Donnie Nelson.

Jerry's daddys were the early 90s star scouts Dick Mansgerber etc. who picked all the star players Jimmy got from the Herschel Walker trade. Jimmy had a hand in it, but Mansgerber et al made the picks really, touted them to Jimmy and Jerry ...

Likewise Little Whistle Donnie Nelson gets credit for being GM when we got Dirk and Steve Nash, when it was totally his dad who ran the drafts and personnel during every year until he left (two years ago?)

Jerry should: a) retire. b) hire every scout from NY Giants and Pats that can be got without lawsuits about contracts ... hire all of them as co-GMs! .. so they all will be promoted and Jerry won't be guilty of the semi-promotions like he's done for years, hiring Sparano for years as assistant head coach, semi head coach, almost head coach, and anything he can to avoid fines ..

This is just a really poor post imho.

A lot of teams could have had Randy Moss but the reasons for Dallas not to grab him were many. Neither he nor T.O. want to play on the same team being chief among them. Moss isn't young and he wanted to get paid well.

I thought we should have used a higher pick on a WR than r4 but it was a deep draft for WRs. The Giants beat us to Steve Smith and there were some other real finds at WR in r2/3.

We moved all around that draft and took Marten in r3 then in the next 15 or so picks after Marten about 7 were WRs. So the cupboard dried up imho before we drafted in r4.

All that said Jerry Jones had put together quality drafts in his 2 post BP years.

2007: Every player drafted is still on the team except Marten. Cricket and Folk are not only starters they are the only players on the team at their positions and both are quality players. Folk is probably a Pro Bowler again.

2008: 6 picks and 4 of them could be considered starters as a rookie: Scandrick, Jenkins, Felix, Bennett. Choice is a solid backup guy. The only player not on the team is Walden who we supposedly liked and wanted to sneak onto the P.S.

The contributions these young guys have been having on a team with Super Bowl aspirations is quite rare. Yes, the Giants had it last year but it is how they became so good, they didn't enter last year as a Super Bowl contender and weren't considered one at even this point in the season last year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Stanback has the physical tools to be a #1 or #2 in this league.

He only played a couple of games at WR total in college and was essentially redshirted his rookie year. Heck hes not even in his third year and people are willing to write him off.

Oh whoever said he loses speed when he cuts is ********. On the 58 yard return he went up into the wedge to the right and then cutback left. If anything out of that cut he was faster.

Oh and Austin as a UDFA was beating out Crayton for the 3rd WR spot so yawn all you want but I'll take Ray Sherman's opinion over yours.

igtmfo

Reaction score
JTerrell and Fuzzy:

You guys are smart, and have awful good reasons why about why we should smoke cigars, pick up a dye-job blonde at Men's Club, take her home .. and relax ... some fine German lager to drink. Ive been there in almost all ways ..

Yes, I rest easy on my pillow tonight .. because we've almost perfect.

But we've never won a playoff game since Dec. 28, 1996, and only been in a few since then. You posters are probably grandfathers since then. Do you know your grandkids names, since we've been in the playoffs? Do you know the game I mention above?

I'm trying to say how we're stupid. Jerry, Lacewell, Ireland, Ciskowski (Ciskoswski, a Cowboys long time scout, but who knows what's behind him ...) are on the same path.

I have a feeling there's on the scouting end, kind of denial, kind of not too much willingness to tell Jerry in the weeks before the draft, that we shouldn't go for the home run and draft Roy Williams just because of his diving tackle of the UT QB then, or because there was some super highlights of Felix Jones that Jerry shouldn't been thinking of the more sturdy, quick, between-the-tackles-and-not a Christmas ornament like Felix ... : Chris Johnson I mean..

Not to diss anyone, but why are we so bad, when, given Jerry's gracious kindness to sign TO, Tank, Pacman, etc, when they were on the street?

Why aren't so good as the Pats, Giants, Colts, you name it, given all Jerry's work to sign these down-and-out star guys that everyone else has neglected?

igtmfo

Reaction score
Greets. If we f-up again and miss the Randy Moss for our 4th round pick again, or whoever because I've been drinking too much Stella Artois (Belgian beer, the only good lager they sell at 7-11 on Sundays) ..

Blame these guys. Picket outside their homes. Tell them to go on strike when Jerry goes over their heads ..

Shout at them and block Jerry's car over on Lakeside Drive when he wants to drive to the Highland Park Village liquor store (is there still a HP liquor store? well it's a block away from Jerry if it's still going)., ....Scratch the scouts' faces when some doofus (Jerry) forces them to draft the Bobby Carpenters of the world.

Tom Ciskowski - Director of College and Pro Scouting
Chris Hall - College Scouting Coordinator
Drew Fabianich - National Scout
Walter Juliff - National Scout
Bill Dekraker - Midwest Area Scout
Sam Garza - Southwest Area Scout
Mitch LaPoint - Southeast Area Scout
Henry Sroka - West Area Scout
John Wojciechowski - Northeast Area Scout
Judd Garrett - Assistant Director of Pro Scouting
Will McClay - Pro Scout
Keith O'Quinn - Pro Scout
Jim Dodson - Pro Scouting Assistant

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
casmith07;2448581 said:
Not a bad day of returns, eh?
Correction: "Not a bad day of returns, eh?"

should read: "Not a bad day of return, eh?"

He had one... one good return out of ...the few he's actually taken in the nearly 2years he's been here...

still not impressed

FCBarca

Reaction score
Stanback, the person, seems like a great guy and I've never suggested I didn't 'like' him...I still, even after his lone return, think he isn't cut out at WR or returner.

He's had 1 good return in how long?...And all we got to do was see him run into space with that speed, he didn't elude anyone.

The difference between the way he does returns and others like Austin is the wiggle or cuts that a player will make to evade the defender...Isaiah has none of that.

Not sure Stanback will get a shot like that to run into empty space any time in the near future again

btcutter

Reaction score
EPL0c0;2448835 said:
Correction: "Not a bad day of returns, eh?"

should read: "Not a bad day of return, eh?"

He had one... one good return out of ...the few he's actually taken in the nearly 2years he's been here...

still not impressed

exactly. show me a few more long returns before I am convinced.

the ONE return he had I bet Felix take it to the house. he just needed to make one cut to the outside he would have pick up at least 20 more yards. still no vision or wiggle.