Anyone worried about JJ forcing OL draft?

btcutter

Reaction score
I am worried that the Cowboys will draft a G in the 1st round based on need. Spin will be G is the BPA on Cowboys board.

History of Cowboy drafting based on need has been poor. Taco in the first round. Trystin Hill in 2nd. Joseph in 2nd (jury still out).

When Cowboys draft BPA it's worked out well. Parson, Martin.....Emmitt Smith.

1st round G at bottom of 1st hasn't been locks to perform well in NFL. I am praying front office stick to their BPA board as we have so many needs on the team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really. I think they go WR over OL if one of the top 5 WR's are there. After the top 5, supposedly there is a significant drop off at WR. As to more depth with OL.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I am worried that the Cowboys will draft a G in the 1st round based on need. Spin will be G is the BPA on Cowboys board.

History of Cowboy drafting based on need has been poor. Taco in the first round. Trystin Hill in 2nd. Joseph in 2nd (jury still out).

1st round G at bottom of 1st hasn't been locks to perform well in NFL. I am praying front office stick to their BPA board as we have so many needs on the team.

Do you think Jerry forced the picks of Taco and Hill?

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
JJ won’t force anything unless a player he likes falls to us. I think the entire organization realizes we have to get better on both lines. I think there’s a good chance picks 1-3 are OL, DL and TE in that order.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

No team chooses BPA flat out. It's the BPA at position of need. We can have a lot of holes, but if one hole is always bigger than the others, you fill that hole.

Our top three WR's when healthy are still among the best in the league. So why prioritize WR over an aging, depleted offensive line. You are not about to get much production from a rookie WR. I mean, if Cooper couldn't produce last year what makes you think a rookie would be better than Cooper? A rookie could be better than Conner Williams, though.

It's been said that Jerry loves the sexy pick in place of the practical pick. I swear, some of you guys are Jerry juniors. You are starting to think just like him.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

No two mocks much agree on exact positions , however, Green and Johnson will be amongst the BPA (if not already gone) at pick 24.
It appears you don't like drafting Lines in the first ?

Havic

Reaction score
smfh if we go WR round 1. I'd like to see us go Lb / OL in rounds 1-2.

Adreme

Reaction score

Parsons was a pick based on need (though they needed just about every defensive position). Diggs was also a pick based on need. There is no such thing as picking purely BPA. Nobody does that. Teams pick the BPA at a position of need.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I would be more worried about Jerry drafting a "Manziel" type of player we do not need than reaching for a need position.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Parcells was building his NYG teams. Early on, IIRC. In 2 drafts, he went 1 & 2 OL in each of those 2 drafts. All started and became pretty dominant. SB came soon after.

So maybe Dallas should go 1 & 2 in this draft, get it fixed for this year, then in 2023 look for sure, of tyron's replacement, unless they can get Ball ready to take over.

John813

Reaction score
I don't think JJ forces anything with an iron fist.

In the past we have heard that Rod/Richard or even Quinn get a lot of say on the defensive side-for example.
We know from 2014 Jerry likes the sexier draft selections over the boring but "building block" picks.

Rod/Richard pushed for Hill in round 2 in 2019.
McClay pushed for LVE in 2018 early in the offseason. The Athletic had a story on it.
It's uncertain who was the loudest voice for Taco in 2017 between McClay/Rod.
2020 Lamb seemed to be the BPA and they never expected him to fall. Diggs was high up for them if Lamb didn't fall.
2021 we all heard about the CB's being the priority but I doubt it was all Jerry while everyone else was hoping for Parsons.

btcutter

Reaction score
No two mocks much agree on exact positions , however, Green and Johnson will be amongst the BPA (if not already gone) at pick 24.
It appears you don't like drafting Lines in the first ?

Not really. If they are really BPA then fine. What if a top LB falls to us and we bypass him for G? Or DE?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
OL in the first is historically a safer pick than almost any position, I think it is that and TE as #1 safest and #2. But they need Oline so 1st or 2nd or 3rd whatever they have to draft one, especially with no free agent signing.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not really. If they are really BPA then fine. What if a top LB falls to us and we bypass him for G? Or DE?
Well anything could happen, however, that scenario confirms you're looking to get off drafting linesmen.
I don't think we'd draft DE (nor LB) in the first round as it appears Quinn is adamant that Micah's going to flex into both positions....no point in drafting a DE, especially one that's only 5/6th best in an OK (not outstanding) draft only for him to sit 3rd downs as we want Micah on the edge.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score

I promise you this.....whoever they take....here's how it's presented.....

Round 1: This was the ideal scenario the whole time and the guy we wanted all along. We fielded several tempting trade offers but wanted this guy.

Round 2: Tried to trade up to get him several times. Would have been picked higher if not for (fill in the blank).

Round 3: Had him with a 2nd round grade.

Round 4: Had him with a 3rd round grade.

Etc....