Apple iOS6, No Google maps

Jenky

Reaction score
Surprised there isn't a thread about this yet, but this is dumb. Also, Apple trying to hire Google's map developing team to solve their own problems, made me LOL.

So who wants to make a wager on the number of days it takes Apple to finally cave in?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Jenky;4753144 said:
Surprised there isn't a thread about this yet, but this is dumb. Also, Apple trying to hire Google's map developing team to solve their own problems, made me LOL.

So who wants to make a wager on the number of days it takes Apple to finally cave in?

Apple is already is direct discussions with Google about an Google Maps app for iTunes.

The problem is, Google is balking. The reason is because Google will spend the resources to make the app and then Apple will reject it at some point because it competes with Apples new maps service.

Apple knows their maps are crap right now, but there is no way Apple will allow Google Maps to stay once they fix their mapping software. The problem is, that will probably take quite a bit of time. Google Maps has taken years to evolve. This is why Apple is trying to hire Google Maps developers. Basically, they want to steal the technology so it doesn't have to be developed. It would just need to be re-implemented.

Apple claims everyone steals from them when in fact it is Apple that is a leach. The company lacks any ethics or character.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4753146 said:
Apple is already is direct discussions with Google about an Google Maps app for iTunes.

The problem is, Google is balking. The reason is because Google will spend the resources to make the app and then Apple will reject it at some point because it competes with Apples new maps service.

Apple knows their maps are crap right now, but there is no way Apple will allow Google Maps to stay once they fix their mapping software. The problem is, that will probably take quite a bit of time. Google Maps has taken years to evolve. This is why Apple is trying to hire Google Maps developers. Basically, they want to steal the technology so it doesn't have to be developed. It would just need to be re-implemented.

Apple claims everyone steals from them when in fact it is Apple that is a leach. The company lacks any ethics or character.

I own Apple and Google products... but lets not pretend that Google is the bastion of ethics and character...

Apple, Google, Oracle, Microsoft, etc... ALL are SOB's out for the almighty dollar...

This fits into the old saying about reelecting crooked politicians... "He may be a crook... but at least he's MY crook"...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
trickblue;4753200 said:
I own Apple and Google products... but lets not pretend that Google is the bastion of ethics and character...

Apple, Google, Oracle, Microsoft, etc... ALL are SOB's out for the almighty dollar...

This fits into the old saying about reelecting crooked politicians... "He may be a crook... but at least he's MY crook"...

Google isn't perfect and I've never said they were. But Google isn't anywhere as bad as Apple, Oracle, or Microsoft and lets not pretend they are. ;)

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4753212 said:
Google isn't perfect and I've never said they were. But Google isn't anywhere as bad as Apple, Oracle, or Microsoft and lets not pretend they are. ;)

Ah yes... Google may be a crook... but they are MY crook... ;)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
trickblue;4753235 said:
Ah yes... Google may be a crook... but they are MY crook... ;)

Google is a crook? For what? Collecting Wifi network location? :laugh2:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I really am holding out hope that Google just tells Apple to pound sand and let it pass. Apple made the decision to opt out of Google maps for a business decision. They should not be running back because that product they replaced it w/ sucks to no end.

Google doesn't need Apple which is the funny part. It appears Apple needs Google.

To kick the guy who has been making maps for the past 15 years and at street level was a comical decision to say the least.

Let the sheep deal w/ the Apple OS the way it is. :cool:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas;4753266 said:
I really am holding out hope that Google just tells Apple to pound sand and let it pass. Apple made the decision to opt out of Google maps for a business decision. They should not be running back because that product they replaced it w/ sucks to no end.

Google doesn't need Apple which is the funny part. It appears Apple needs Google.

To kick the guy who has been making maps for the past 15 years and at street level was a comical decision to say the least.

Let the sheep deal w/ the Apple OS the way it is. :cool:

Apple may prefer Google...however they do not NEED google.

There would be plenty of people would be more than happy to move into googles spot just for the maps section.

It won't hurt apple nor google.

Google has LOADS of apps on the itunes store and sooner or later they will have a map App there.

To act like either side NEEDS each other is nothing more than a fan or antifan boy dream.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4753304 said:
Apple may prefer Google...however they do not NEED google.

There would be plenty of people would be more than happy to move into googles spot just for the maps section.

It won't hurt apple nor google.

Google has LOADS of apps on the itunes store and sooner or later they will have a map App there.

To act like either side NEEDS each other is nothing more than a fan or antifan boy dream.

Actually, Apple has needed many of Google's services for a long time. They only over the last year or two have tried to ween off of many of Google's services. Apple maps was just another step in that direction. They hate the hell out of Google, but as of yet have no choice, but to keep using many of their services.

If Apple could, they would completely block everything Google from the iPhone. :laugh2:

JBond

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4753212 said:

Google is as scummy as it gets. The deals they have cut with certain countries is frightening. The stuff they did before the Beijing Olympics was pure evil. Their contracts with the NSA and Homeland Security are also disturbing. That being said, I use an android phone, so what does that make me?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam I Am;4753315 said:
Actually, Apple has needed many of Google's services for a long time. They only over the last year or two have tried to ween off of many of Google's services. Apple maps was just another step in that direction. They hate the hell out of Google, but as of yet have no choice, but to keep using many of their services.

If Apple could, they would completely block everything Google from the iPhone. :laugh2:

Apple could block every google app (and there are 20+ google apps) from the store if they wanted to.
Google could refuse to let their apps be on itunes.

But they don't.

Apple does NOT need google nor does google need apple. As much as they might hate each other...they are also smart enough to use each other to help themselves.

I know that takes away from your I hate all thing apple so I don't use my brain most of the time and go straight into apple rage but it does not change the face that neither NEED each other.

Apple would not all of a sudden shut down if Google refused to let apple use it's programs nor would Google all of a sudden shut down if Apple refused to let google products on their stuff.

So again...as I stated...they don't NEED each other...they do however Use each other.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4753339 said:
Apple could block every google app (and there are 20+ google apps) from the store if they wanted to.
Google could refuse to let their apps be on itunes.

But they don't.

Apple does NOT need google nor does google need apple. As much as they might hate each other...they are also smart enough to use each other to help themselves.

I know that takes away from your I hate all thing apple so I don't use my brain most of the time and go straight into apple rage but it does not change the face that neither NEED each other.

Apple would not all of a sudden shut down if Google refused to let apple use it's programs nor would Google all of a sudden shut down if Apple refused to let google products on their stuff.

So again...as I stated...they don't NEED each other...they do however Use each other.

Yeah. I know a few iPhone users that would drop the iPhone the second they lost access to Google services. Apple knows this. ;)

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4753403 said:
Yeah. I know a few iPhone users that would drop the iPhone the second they lost access to Google services. Apple knows this. ;)

I see Paints point to a degree but I laugh when folks say Apple could drop Google Apps and have no problem. Hey Apple...try just one...try dropping sayyyy GMAIL.... and see where that lands you.

:D

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
trickblue;4753200 said:

QFT...

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas;4753439 said:
I see Paints point to a degree but I laugh when folks say Apple could drop Google Apps and have no problem. Hey Apple...try just one...try dropping sayyyy GMAIL.... and see where that lands you.

Would not bother me a bit.

I don't use any email apps on the iphone.

I had three google apps on my iphone. The Map is now gone, I removed chrome as I got used to using safari on my phone, so I am down to 1...the basic google search and I rarely use it so I might just remove it just to free up some space. But I am always switching apps so it is no biggie to me.

As far as email...The only thing I use a personal email account for is if I sign up for something.

Otherwise I have no need for it in my personal life anymore.

Work email is another thing but I would not use a online email account as my work email so there would be no need for me to use that.

I have a feeling that other than work emails, most people are starting to move away from email just like most people have moved away from leaving voice mails.

For personal forms of communication I think people have more or less gravitated towards Facebook, talking on the phone and the biggest now...texting.

But that is just me and my opinion.

So...take off all the google products and it will not bother me in the least concerning my phone.

Now...take off some of games...that is a different story:D Currently Fairway Solitaire by Big Fish Games is my favorite.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Dallas;4753439 said:

The mail app in iOS is not gmail. It supports gmail accounts, but it also supports just about any other type of email account you've got.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
all this to simply put the IGS at your fingertips.

how fast we get info doesn't make it right. learning to temper twitter crap...

priceless.