Apple iOS6, No Google maps

k19

Reaction score
I'll admit that was my first culture shock going from android to the iphone, lack of turn by turn directions. Couldn't believe apple didn't have that for free but I ended up getting navigon and love it. Could care less about the iOS 6 maps, google maps, or any other maps. :p:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
k19;4754385 said:
I'll admit that was my first culture shock going from android to the iphone, lack of turn by turn directions. Couldn't believe apple didn't have that for free but I ended up getting navigon and love it. Could care less about the iOS 6 maps, google maps, or any other maps. :p:

Funny that you brought this up. This was just posted today. It talks about the same issue you are here.

Funny thing is..Apple wants it for free but Google won't let them have it for free.

Voice navigation killed Apple-Google maps talks

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt said Apple should have continued to use Google’s mapping application in iOS 6 instead of swapping it out for its poorly received home-brewed replacement, and given the sour reception Apple’s Maps app has been given, he may have been right.
But multiple sources familiar with Apple’s thinking say the company felt it had no choice but to replace Google Maps with its own, because of a disagreement over a key feature: Voice-guided turn-by-turn driving directions.

Spoken turn-by-turn navigation has been a free service offered through Google’s Android mobile OS for a few years now. But it was never part of the deal that brought Google’s Maps to iOS. And sources say Apple very much wanted it to be. Requiring iPhone users to look directly at handsets for directions and manually move through each step — while Android users enjoyed native voice-guided instructions — put Apple at a clear disadvantage in the mobile space.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/09...gle-maps-talks/?intcmp=features#ixzz27ggnEOfJ