Apple iPad

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You guys caught up on the iPad yet? I was somewhat excited to see what they came out with, but boy is this thing a disappointment. Nothing revolutionary about it in the least. It was smart of them not to go with some crazy price otherwise they'd sell none of them.

But this is yet another device. Now someone would need a home PC, a laptop, a netbook/cellphone AND an iPad? Gimmie a break.

This was a major launch for them, and they had promised to do this thing in a revolutionary way and they completely fell short.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Go ahead. Fire out that $600+ to have both an iPhone and a bigger iPhone to use side by side! :laugh2:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty cool aside from the 1-inch border around the screen.

1st Gen apple products always seems to be duds, IMO. Their 2nd generation products are a ton better.

$499 is a pretty good starting price.

Really though, I think this is apple's answer to netbooks. Not a very good one but that's what it is. Don't BS us and say there is room for another product between the phone and computer. Its a ****ing netbook.

CowboysFan02

Degree or Bust
Reaction score
Yeah, but they will still sell a TON to all those in the Cult of Apple.

I am fine with the HP tablet, it works as both a laptop and tablet and is great for taking notes in college, it might be bigger since it is a laptop/tablet but I like having the option to use it as either.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboysFan02;3257897 said:
Yeah, but they will still sell a TON to all those in the Cult of Apple.

I am fine with the HP tablet, it works as both a laptop and tablet and is great for taking notes in college, it might be bigger since it is a laptop/tablet but I like having the option to use it as either.

Yes, but it doesn't have the Apple logo!!! :nolook:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I don't even know what it is, so I can't vouch for how big of a launch this was intended to be, or how revolutionary a product....but if Apple fell short, so what? It's going to happen. Ask Microsoft.

I don't get the point of these anti-apple or anti-PC threads. Buy what you want. It's that easy.

Carry on jilted pc users. ;)

locked&loaded

Reaction score
This thing screams gimmick. You cant hold it one handed so you have to just, what put it on your lap? Strain your neck looking odwn ait? I actually like feeling keys and using a mouse. Plus it has to be so stripped down specs wise.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3257891 said:
I think it looks pretty cool aside from the 1-inch border around the screen.

1st Gen apple products always seems to be duds, IMO. Their 2nd generation products are a ton better.

$499 is a pretty good starting price.

Really though, I think this is apple's answer to netbooks. Not a very good one but that's what it is. Don't BS us and say there is room for another product between the phone and computer. Its a ****ing netbook.

It can't be the answer to netbooks because they answer completely different questions. A Netbook still has a standard OS on it so you can get your software from anywhere and get it on a network, etc.

The iPad runs proprietary software and isn't capable of being networks or running open source software that may be better than what they are trying to charge for. It's literally like having a giant iPhone, minus the phone.

The problem to me is that the iPad is answering a question NO ONE asked. They could have made a wonderful device that ran OSX but instead, choose to have it run glorified phone software.

tomson75;3257932 said:
I don't even know what it is, so I can't vouch for how big of a launch this was intended to be, or how revolutionary a product....but if Apple fell short, so what? It's going to happen. Ask Microsoft.

I don't get the point of these anti-apple or anti-PC threads. Buy what you want. It's that easy.

Carry on jilted pc users. ;)

You've missed the point entirely. It wasn't a PC/Apple thread until you made it one.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
locked&loaded;3257937 said:
This thing screams gimmick. You cant hold it one handed so you have to just, what put it on your lap? Strain your neck looking odwn ait? I actually like feeling keys and using a mouse. Plus it has to be so stripped down specs wise.

It's a larger iPhone / More powerful Kindle. It definitely has a market. It would not have been first to market, but the other one that was coming out (can't remember the name) ended up embroiled in a lawsuit. The manufacture tried to cut the creator out of the loop and the creator filed an injunction against the manufacture.

(something like that)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
nyc;3257949 said:
It's a larger iPhone / More powerful Kindle. It definitely has a market. It would not have been first to market, but the other one that was coming out (can't remember the name) ended up embroiled in a lawsuit. The manufacture tried to cut the creator out of the loop and the creator filed an injunction against the manufacture.

(something like that)

Well it's not really in competition with the Kindle, it just happens that you can read ebook files on it and Apple will, of course, be selling them. You can read ebook files on any computer in the world, really.

The Kindle is a different market all together, and it has a specific use and a specific market vs the iPad which just seems to be another device to keep Apple's App Store bringing in the dough.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
A quick glance has me thinking it doesn't have the 'work' functionality, minus simply being able to email, i.e. communicate.

It's selling it's ability to browse, watch and read. The price isn't out of this world, but I'd figure a netbook would have the OS and the ability to run work apps, like Photoshop. It may or may not, but I don't see that aspect being trumpeted in it's feature set. At this point it looks like a luxury and not a necessity.

It is really just a giant iPhone.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
TheCount;3257942 said:
You've missed the point entirely. It wasn't a PC/Apple thread until you made it one.

Suuuuuuuuure it wasn't.

...my b. I regress.

Carry on with this unbiased, informative update on this new Apple product.

:D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TheCount;3257958 said:
Well it's not really in competition with the Kindle, it just happens that you can read ebook files on it and Apple will, of course, be selling them. You can read ebook files on any computer in the world, really.

The Kindle is a different market all together, and it has a specific use and a specific market vs the iPad which just seems to be another device to keep Apple's App Store bringing in the dough.

I disagree. They are both mobile devices that read eBooks. They are 100% fully in competition with each other. Apple is betting the would be Kindle buyers will buy the iPad since it offers so much more than the Kindle although at a higher price.

Now, that said. Asus is coming out with an iPad like device (full OLED color display) that has an unheard of 122 hour battery life.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
For those who wanted a bigger sized itouch than this is your thing.

Its really no more than that.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apple's iPad event: What we didn't get

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:33PM EST
See Comments (13)

Apple's just-announced iPad looks like an iPhone on steroids, and it boasts a price tag that's a lot lower than people feared. But many of the enticing rumors about Apple's new tablet—such as chatter about a built-in camera, monthly TV subscriptions, and support for Verizon's 3G network—turned out to be dead wrong. Also: no iPhone for Verizon, at least not yet.

You can check out the details on the new iPad right here, and don't get me wrong: judged on its own, away from all the gargantuan hype, and considering its $499 price tag (for the 16GB model), Apple's new tablet is certainly one sexy piece of gadgetry.

But ... is it a category-changer, like the iPod and the iPhone before it? That'll be hard to judge right away, and I still need to see the thing in person before I start making any sweeping generalizations.

That said, some of the coolest would-be features that had been rumored for the iPad failed to materialize Wednesday, starting with ...

No 3G support for Verizon
One of the earliest rumors about the iPad (which I'd still rather call the iTablet) was that it would come with embedded 3G support in addition to Wi-Fi. Well, the 3G part was true (monthly pre-paid plans will start at $14 for 250MB of data, or $29/month unlimited), but alas, no Verizon; instead, we're stuck with good 'ole AT&T (which is either a good or a bad thing, depending on how you feel about AT&T).

No jaw-droppingly new user interface
One of the most amazing things about the original iPhone was its ground-breaking touch interface; just pinch to zoom into a Web page! Tap to turn on the speakerphone! Swipe to flip through your photos! So maybe it was only natural that many of us gadget hounds (myself included) thought that Apple would come up with some new, "Minority Report"-style interface for the iPad ... perhaps some cool haptic feedback for the virtual QWERTY keypad, or maybe (as outlined in some recent patent filings) the ability to sense a finger that's hovering near the screen but not touching it. What we got, instead, was ... pretty much the same touch UI as on the iPhone, except with a lot more room. Not bad, but not all that revolutionary, either.

No built-in camera
The iPhone has a camera, the MacBook has a camera ... heck, even the new iPod Nano has a camera (well, a video-only camera, anyway). So, what about the iPad? Ahhh ... nope, and that's especially disappointing given the chatter from the Wall Street Journal that Apple has been toying with facial-recognition software that could potentially be used to, say, identify the various members of your family and deliver their own, customized iPad interface.

No Flash support
When, oh when, Apple, will you let us view Flash videos and Web modules on the mobile version of Safari? Who knows, but it's definitely not starting with the iPad, which is just as bereft of Flash support as the iPhone and iPod Touch are. No user-replaceable battery
Steve Jobs claims that the iPad will come with an impressive 10 hours of battery life and a full month of stand-by time. Pretty cool, but as with the iPhone, the iPod Touch, and the latest MacBooks, the iPad battery comes sealed in the case, and there's no way to swap in a new one yourself.
No TV subscriptions
One of the more intriguing recent rumors was that Apple was going around to all the TV and cable networks, trying to sell them on the idea of monthly TV subscriptions that viewers would be able to watch on iTunes, the iPhone, Apple TV, or ... the iPad. Word even had it that Disney's Bob Iger was in San Francisco today, all set to announce a new content deal with Apple, but ... nope, didn't happen. (The writing for this non-event was on the wall, thanks to a recent New York Times story that reported that TV execs looked over Apple's subscription proposals and said "thanks, but no thanks.")

No iPhone software 4.0 announcement
Yet another interesting rumor had it that the reason that there hadn't been a big iPhone software update lately was that the new code was too intertwined with the iPad OS, and therefore we'd get a big announcement today for iPhone software 4.0—complete with full-on app multitasking, UI enhancements, and other goodies. The rumor sure sounded plausible (and hey, the part about the new iPhone software being closely interwoven with the iPad may well be true), but the Apple event came and went Wednesday, with nary a sign of iPhone software 4.0.

Last but not least ... no iPhone for Verizon
Besides the iPad itself, the Apple rumor that seemed to generate the most excitement was the possibility that Steve Jobs would announce the end of Apple's exclusive iPhone deal with AT&T ... and announce an iPhone for Verizon at the same time. After all, most believe that the Apple-AT&T deal is set to expire this summer anyway, so why not get a jump on the news? But as with the talk about the iPad coming with support for Verizon's 3G network ... well, maybe we'll get a Verizon iPhone in June or July, but we didn't see one today.

So, what were you hoping for Wednesday that didn't quite happen?

[URL]http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/64364

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I have my 829$ already set aside to pick one up. I have been looking at the Nooks and Kindles for a while now and was just about to buy one until I decided to wait and see if Apple would announce anything today regarding the iPad.

The 3g access for it sold me. Im excited.

I love my iPhone and my son loves his iTouch. For me this makes sense.

They say 60-90days and these should be available for pre-order. :bow:

Good Apple stuff.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Dallas;3258213 said:
I have my 829$ already set aside to pick one up. I have been looking at the Nooks and Kindles for a while now and was just about to buy one until I decided to wait and see if Apple would announce anything today regarding the iPad.

The 3g access for it sold me. Im excited.

I love my iPhone and my son loves his iTouch. For me this makes sense.

They say 60-90days and these should be available for pre-order. :bow:

Good Apple stuff.

I call it the IGimmick. "Youve just been sucked."