Apple iPad

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think it looks and sounds really cool, but I just don't think I would use one much. When I'm stationary for any length of time, I have my home or work laptop. And when I'm just sitting somewhere bored and need internet service, I use my iPhone.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
TheCount;3257942 said:
It can't be the answer to netbooks because they answer completely different questions. A Netbook still has a standard OS on it so you can get your software from anywhere and get it on a network, etc.

The iPad runs proprietary software and isn't capable of being networks or running open source software that may be better than what they are trying to charge for. It's literally like having a giant iPhone, minus the phone.

The problem to me is that the iPad is answering a question NO ONE asked. They could have made a wonderful device that ran OSX but instead, choose to have it run glorified phone software.

I guess that's true about the OS.

I dunno really. I think it could be pretty cool but also think it might just be a waste of time.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
theogt;3258443 said:
The more I watch the videos of it, the more I want one.

Yeah, kind of getting an itch for one. Probably won't get one but I just want to **** with one for a bit.

3G costs an extra $100 or so and $30/month.

That ****ing pisses me off. Friend of mine is in a crunch because she just moved to a new place in Puerto Rico and it is going to take her like 2 months to get internet service. I called ATT and they offer some ****ty *** service for an insane amount. Contract, of course and you have to by their adapter.

But if you own an apple, you get the keys to the city and you can have unlimited data for 30 dollars?

AT&T can kiss my *** with its tongue out.

Anyway, checking out the keynote and it looks pretty sweet.

I really wanna give that keyboard a try to see if it works.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3258527 said:
Yeah, kind of getting an itch for one. Probably won't get one but I just want to **** with one for a bit.

3G costs an extra $100 or so and $30/month.

That ****ing pisses me off. Friend of mine is in a crunch because she just moved to a new place in Puerto Rico and it is going to take her like 2 months to get internet service. I called ATT and they offer some ****ty *** service for an insane amount. Contract, of course and you have to by their adapter.

But if you own an apple, you get the keys to the city and you can have unlimited data for 30 dollars?

AT&T can kiss my *** with its tongue out.

Anyway, checking out the keynote and it looks pretty sweet.

I really wanna give that keyboard a try to see if it works.

AT&T sucks.

The sent out an offer about two months ago selling bundles for wireless, home phone, wireless internet, and Direct TV. They advertised a family plan for $169 a month....giving 750 anytime minutes for wireless per phone, a mid level wireless service, a home phone with unlimited nationwide calling, and a Direct TV package with HBO and Showtime free for 3 months before they started charging you.

I read ALL of the fine print. I figured that since my girlfriend and I use iphones, we'd need to add the $30 data plans. No biggie.

When I called AT&T (after calling five different numbers because the ones on the brochure didn't work), no one knew what the hell I was talking about. When I found someone with a faint idea, they still had no idea what $169 dollar plan I had found. They said they had some things being worked out with direct TV, but that they would just transfer me directly there after we had set up the phone and wireless plans......basically, we'd be setting up three separate plans.

After all was said and done, to get everything they had advertised (plus the data packages for the iphones, it would have cost $320 a month....a far cry from the $169 advertised.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I find it funny as hell.

If you own an iPhone you MUST pay for a data plan. If you get one of these, you again pretty much MUST have a data plan to get the most out of it.

So, if you have an iPhone and an iPad. You pay double and you have 2 of the same product. Just one is bigger than the other. :lmao2:

Not only that, Apple dictates what you can and cannot do with it. :lmao:

Don't EVER deny that Apple is eats it's customers. As they say, It's like leading sheep to the slaughter.

A guy made a great point today. He said, the direction that Apple is going with it's products, when OS 11 gets released, it too will have an Apple App Store, and they will dictate what you can and cannot install on your PC too.

Apple absolutely loves vendor lock-in.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I think the article WG posted failed to mention that it also doesn't feature "Multi-tasking".

Would be nice to listen to say..Pandora, minimize the application and start doing other tasks such as reading and surfing the Internet.

No flash support is also a problem if they seek to compete with Laptops.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;3257932 said:
I don't even know what it is, so I can't vouch for how big of a launch this was intended to be, or how revolutionary a product....but if Apple fell short, so what? It's going to happen. Ask Microsoft.

I don't get the point of these anti-apple or anti-PC threads. Buy what you want. It's that easy.

Carry on jilted pc users. ;)
:laugh2:

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3258942 said:
I think the article WG posted failed to mention that it also doesn't feature "Multi-tasking".

Would be nice to listen to say..Pandora, minimize the application and start doing other tasks such as reading and surfing the Internet.

And these are the biggest marks against it. They're our of their minds ignoring the functional aspect of the thing and marketing a giant toy.

They say it will revolutionize the publishing industry. Would anyone buy this thing to simply read magazines or books? That's a pretty steep tag for a reader.

Then, to hamstring one of it's selling points: surfing the web. How many websites don't use Flash? Plenty, but more than enough do to limit your experience.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
AppleDeathStar.jpg

I absolutely LOVE my iPhone.

But AT&T blows.

Not unlocking it for Verizon Blows.

Don't see the need for an ipad.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3258942 said:

Excellent point.

I would've bought one but I don't see any reason to get one over a laptop when I already have a 2.5 inch ipad.

MrMom

Reaction score
http://gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad?skyline=true&s=i

8 Things That Suck About the iPad
nothanksipad.jpg

A lot of people at Gizmodo are psyched about the iPad. Not me! My god, am I underwhelmed by it. It has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make buying one the last thing I would want to do.

Big, Ugly Bezel
Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

No Cameras
No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

Touch Keyboard
So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

No HDMI Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

The Name iPad
Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

No Flash
No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.

It's Not Widescreen
Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
Sure, it's "unlocked." But it won't work on T-Mobile, and it uses microSIMs that literally no one else uses.

A Closed App Ecosystem
The iPad only runs apps from the App Store. The same App Store that is notorious for banning apps for no real reason, such as Google Voice. Sure, netbooks might not have touchscreens, but you can install whatever software you'd like on them. Want to run a different browser on your iPad? Too bad!

[This post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of others at Gizmodo]

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3258875 said:
So, if you have an iPhone and an iPad. You pay double and you have 2 of the same product. Just one is bigger than the other.
That's a bit like saying a full-sized car is like a matchbox only bigger.

I wouldn't use the iPad for what I use my iPhone for and I wouldn't use my iPhone for what I would use an iPad for.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
No multitasking is a real boner shrinker.

I was thinking about maybe looking at one but with adapters for USB and no multitasking, probably gonna wait it out.

The 2nd generation iPad will probably be a ton better. Kind of seems like Apple's route to go. Release a 1st Gen that isn't really all that grand and bait customers into upgrading to the 2nd Gen that offers features the 1st Gen should have.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3259130 said:
That's a bit like saying a full-sized car is like a matchbox only bigger.

I wouldn't use the iPad for what I use my iPhone for and I wouldn't use my iPhone for what I would use an iPad for.

Explain.

I'm guessing you listen to music, surf the web, make calls, check out youtube videos, get directions, find a good restaurant, play games, post remotely on CZ, etc on your iPhone. What is left for your new expensive *** iMaxiPad?

That said, what are you going to use the iPad for? A $600+ eBook reader when you could have just gotten a Kindle or maybe wait for Asus' new color folding eBook reader.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3259150 said:
Explain.

I'm guessing you listen to music, surf the web, make calls, check out youtube videos, get directions, find a good restaurant, play games, post remotely on CZ, etc on your iPhone. What is left for your new expensive *** iMaxiPad?

That said, what are you going to use the iPad for? A $600+ eBook reader when you could have just gotten a Kindle or maybe wait for Asus' new color folding eBook reader.
Like you point out, reading a book is a big difference. I wouldnt use it for that, but my wife would -- a lot. I wouldn't use the iPad to listen to music either, or search for a good restaurant while I'm on the road or post remotely on CZ. Those are things I'd use my iPhone for.

But I would use it to watch movies while traveling, read magazines at home or while traveling, surf the internet at home or while traveling, play games, etc. I could see myself using it quite a bit just sitting on the couch while also watching television. I tend to use my laptop for that, but there are times when someone else in the house is using the laptop and an iPad would definitely be easier in some respects. Also, it would be an absolute godsend for traveling, as I hate to pull a laptop out. Also, if you're eating lunch or getting coffee, it'd be great to have to sit and read the internet, when the iPhone, as good as it is, can be a little frustrating.

The Kindle is completely outdated at this point.

arglebargle

Reaction score
I hope the IPad is a great sucess! I personally am not interested in it much. The Iphone interface is a let down, and the intended uses are not very attractive to me.

But I hope it does well enough that other companies will come out with Touchscreen Tablets that will be useful for me. What I'm looking for is a multi-touch, multi-tasking tablet, preferably with non sucky sound, that can be used for audio control. Computer audio production has hit the big time now, but the mouse and keyboard are awful interfaces when compared to sliders and dials. Being able to use your mixer/recorder/VST software with easy touchscreen support would be great.

The problem with Ipad is, that if it tanks, then other companies will give up on the concept, going 'If Apple can't make it work, what chance do we have?'

As for the Kindle being out of it, I have a sight impaired friend who swears by his, because it is the best out there for sizing the text to the user's preferences. He uses it all the time to read things, and it is the best available for his purposes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Maybe this will just be the 1st of many ipads.

It will be the one that malfunctions.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Interesting article:

Top 10 Reasons The Apple iPad Will Put Amazon’s Kindle Out of Business

iPad-books.jpg

Amazon-Kindle-2-Picture.jpeg

Editor’s note: Ever since yesterday’s debut of Apple’s iPad, the debate has been raging about what it means for Amazon’s Kindle. Will it kill it? Will it not? Is comparing the two like comparing a computer to a typewriter? To add fuel to the fire and, well, because we love top 10 lists, we present this guest post from Ben Elowitz, who comes down very firmly on the Kindle-is-kaput side of the debate. Ben is co-founder and CEO of Wetpaint, a media company with an audience of 10 million monthly unique users; and author of the Digital Quarters blog. Prior to Wetpaint, he co-founded Blue Nile (NILE), the largest online retailer of fine jewelry.

1) The multi-functional capability. Buy a Kindle and you get… a reader. Another dedicated device to carry. Buy an iPad, and you get a whole new companion that can do pretty much anything. Games, movies, browsing, documents, and more—all in one. And zillions of iPhone apps. It’s sooooo much more than a reader, it’s a whole-life device.

2) The screen. Full color, multi-touch screen, gestures, and more. It’s a pleasure to look at it – and we all can rely on Steve Jobs’ aesthetics to know that it’s a pleasure to hold as well.

3) The compatibility. iPad supports ePub out of the box, overcoming publishers’ resistance to having to support a proprietary format such as Kindle’s; and creating compatibility with books sold through a leading standard format through any channel. (Something tells me Amazon will be making an announcement about ePub support real soon…)

4) The iBooks store. Apple has captured the magic of shopping. Once again, whereas Amazon does great with the functional needs of buying a book, Apple goes beyond to create an experience.

5) The experience. The Kindle provides a good functional experience for readers—in a very Bezosian way, it meets all our needs. But Apple’s creation goes beyond, to make the experience fun and cool. You can swipe through pages on an iPad. On the Kindle, you have to dutifully click a button.

6) The economics. Publishers have been deeply concerned about price erosion with Amazon’s $9.99 pricing—and have been up in arms over Amazon’s 70% revenue share take. Though Amazon has reversed the revenue share (to match Apple’s reported offer at 30%), it would require publishers to cut prices and offer deep discounts. Considering the threat the publishing industry is under, the last thing that publishers want in a time of transition is to have their revenues crammed down further by Jeff Bezos.

7) The apps. In a digital age, a book is (finally!) becoming more than just words on a page. But the Kindle has been slow to recognize this. With the iPad, out of the gate publishers can create whole experiences. Want to create something unique in the market to draw consumers? Publishers can go beyond e-books, and create an app using one of the world’s most popular SDK platforms.

8) The marketplace. Apple’s iBook and App Store marketplaces will instantly be a must-attend venue for publishers. The anticipated sales of the iPad will mean exposure to so many more consumers than Kindle; and Apple already has 125 million consumer store accounts with 12 billion products already downloaded. Amazon won’t even release the number of Kindles sold, because the number of consumers buying its device pales next to Apple’s reach.

9) The price. For $10 more than a Kindle DX, consumers get an incredible ebook reader, and so much more: a device that they can use for, well, pretty much anything. The options, consumer experience, and flexibility for that $10 are a no-brainer.

10) The Apple factor (a.k.a. “sexy”). Let’s face it, Apple is a brand people want to be affiliated with. It has a cool factor. Even those of us who are smart enough to know better still fall in love with Apple products, and carry them with pride. Amazon just doesn’t have that. As Jason Kottke says, “the iPad makes the Kindle look like it’s from the 1980’s”.

Apple has upped the game for Amazon. Jeff Bezos and his team better start a clean sheet of design if they want Kindle to catch up again and play as a leader with consumers.

It’s clear that Amazon is already scared: witness their recent moves in the last few days running up to Apple’s announcement. Just this month, they’ve announced an app framework and a new royalty structure to be more attractive to publishers – and both moves are clearly defensive catch-up plays to respond to the threat of the iPad. Amazon is even trying to win love by giving away free Kindles to their best customers.

But the best plan for Amazon isn’t to try to buy customers or try to match Apple’s approach. Rather, they’ll need to re-think their consumer experience from start to finish. They’ve done a great job so far of digitizing books, but now if they want to compete with Steve Jobs’ inventiveness, they’ll have to step up to be a must-have device in consumers’ digital lives. Of course, they can also just surrender and continue to sell books through their existing iPhone app, which should be compatible with the iPad like all the other apps in the App Store.

link