Apple: No nose! I hate you Googliles!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
For all you guys that says Apple left out multi-tasking for a reason. You're right, they wanted their iPad to fail. :rolleyes:

LINK

Chrome OS Concept Tablet Breaks Cover With Demo

With all of this iPad buzz stirring up the tech world over the past couple of weeks, Chrome OS has almost been forgotten. That may have something to do with the fact that Google has yet to officially release the netbook-centric operating system to the public, but still, you'd expect a company like Google to keep the details flowing about a forthcoming operating system. Today it seems we're getting exactly what you'd expect, in response to all the recent tablet fanfare.

A while back, we heard that Chrome OS would only be made for certain systems that met certain specifications, namely netbooks that were tailor made to run the OS. This approach is similar to the one taken by Apple with regard to OS X, which will only operate on Apple-built systems. But as the "Year Of The Tablet" really gets going, it makes sense to think that Google would be interested in dipping into that sector. Tablets are certainly going to be a hot topic (and likely a money-maker) in 2010 and 2011, and Google would be silly to just sit it out while the others take advantage. We already witnessed the traditionally search-oriented company break new ground with their Android mobile OS, and if renders from the Chromium platform team, which is the foundation of Google Chrome and Chrome OS, have their way, Chrome OS will eventually make landfall on tablets as well.

tablet_chromeos.jpg

chrome_os_tablet_mock.jpg

A few new design creations have floated out to the web, and naturally they have garnered quite a bit of attention. These showcase "user interface concepts" where it would be feasible to cram Chrome OS onto a tablet. When you think about, Chrome OS seems perfect for a tablet form factor. The system is designed to be lightweight, meaning that little power is needed to run it with as little overhead as possible, bogging down system resources. We've also seen that cheap, highly efficient chips are available for tablets courtesy of NVIDIA's Tegra 2 CPU, and honestly, Chrome OS would give the iPad the biggest run for its money. Windows 7 still feels too "serious" an OS for something like a tablet, but Chrome OS is perfectly positioned to enter the market as-is and really make an impact. Who knows, one could imagine a situation where Google actually overtook Microsoft's OS market share lead in at least the tablet sector. Though that's a far reach at this point obviously. We can't say that hell would then freeze over, but you never really know...

tablet_chromeos2.jpg

The Chromium team suggests that a screen of 5" to 10" is optimal for enjoying Chrome OS, and wouldn't you know that tablets, netbooks and MIDs/UMPCs all fit that category. It's rather exciting to think of the possibilities of a Chrome OS-based tablet. Couple a streamlined Google-based OS with NVIDIA's Tegra 2 and a design like this, and you really could have an iPad killer.

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kma17v5Yzj0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kma17v5Yzj0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

In related news, Google is making a serious push over in Europe to draw attention to their Chrome web browser. The reason? The EU is forcing Microsoft to install a "browser selection window" within new versions of Windows, so people will be forced to choose a browser (rather than just have Internet Explorer in there by default). It's the first major ad push for their web browser, and it just might signal a more serious effort to spread Chrome more to the mainstream. Why would you want to spend money to increase market share of a free browser? If Chrome is a vital part of Chrome OS, you could see one thing leading to another. It's called the "halo effect," and Apple is definitely enjoying the spoils from people who buy iPods or iPhones and are then suddenly hooked into the Mac ecosystem. There's nothing stopping Google from attempting to recreate that same kind of magic, and we can say we'd be fairly bedazzled should a tablet like this hit the market anytime soon.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
You need to get over this unhealthy hate/obsession with Apple.
They're just another company making a dollar on consumer willingness to spend ridiculous amounts of money on unnecessary gadgets.

No different than Adobe, Microsoft, Google, Sony, etc.
There's really no moral ground of defense or podium of superiority for any of them to stand on, they all protect their products and they're all geared toward making anonymous people loads of cash.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3264136 said:
They're just another company making a dollar on consumer willingness to spend ridiculous amounts of money on unnecessary gadgets.

There's really no moral ground of defense or podium of superiority for any of them to stand on, they all protect their products and they're all geared toward making anonymous people loads of cash.

No, I do not. It is my prerogative and in my best interested to defend my beliefs. It is people that have strong feelings like the way I do that forced the American Revolution and the Peasants' Revolt in England during the 1300s.

It is those people who changed the world for the better. I see what Steve Job is doing at Apple. Just because you have blinders on, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I have the right to voice how I feel, and I will continue to do so. Just like you have the right not to read what I write if you don't like it.

If you don't like it don't freaking read it!

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3264144 said:
No, I do not. It is my prerogative and in my best interested to defend my beliefs. It is people that have strong feelings like the way I do that forced the American Revolution and the Peasants' Revolt in England during the 1300s.

It is those people who changed the world for the better. I see what Steve Job is doing at Apple. Just because you have blinders on, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I have the right to voice how I feel, and I will continue to do so. Just like you have the right not to read what I write if you don't like it.

:laugh2:

Do you really liken *****ing on an internet forum about one of many greedy corporations as valiant and meaningful as historical revolutionaries?

I don't have blinders, I'm just not deluded that Apple is any worse than the others. Your bias is causing your ignorance of them and your mini-revolution is falling flat.

Now go change the world with your Apple-hate, I'm sure America will be better for it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3264151 said:

Do you really liken *****ing on an internet forum about one of many greedy corporations as valiant and meaningful as historical revolutionaries?

I don't have blinders, I'm just not deluded that Apple is any worse than the others. Your bias is causing your ignorance of them and your mini-revolution is falling flat.

Now go change the world with your Apple-hate, I'm sure America will be better for it.

Yes, I do liken it. It is what it is.

btw, it's not Apple hate, it's Steve Jobs hate.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3264183 said:
Yes, I do liken it. It is what it is.

btw, it's not Apple hate, it's Steve Jobs hate.

In all seriousness, what is he doing?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3264189 said:
In all seriousness, what is he doing?

He is stripping away all the rights we have as consumers. If I own an iPhone, he decides what I can and cannot put on my iPhone. Like banning Google Voice, and tons of other apps because Apple decided they wanted that app and refuse to allow anyone to compete with them. That is monopolistic!

He tells me I cannot install OS X on my own computer. That I MUST buy his hardware or I cannot have it. Now, he is releasing the iPad, he and Macmillan have decided that the $9.99 price tag that Amazon sells their Macmillan eBooks for isn't enough money and decides that it should now be $14.99 and forces Amazon to raise their price. (which they fought) It's a freaking eBook. Once it comes out on paperback it will $7.99, but I'm going to pay $15 for it and there is nothing physical about it.

A term I hate more than anything (especially as an IT professional) is vendor lock-in. Maybe you don't understand the concept, but I do. In my business, I've experienced it 100 times and have never NOT gotten screwed by it. I haven't even started to read eBooks yet, and I'm already screwed by it.

You've just been screwed on the eBook subject and you have been screwed several times in all your Apple purchases whether you realize it or not. Soon, you will figure it out and when you do. I won't say anything other than to keep preaching my hate the way I do.

As egotistical as this may sounds, I feel I doing the public a service by trying to show them what is actually happening. It just seems like most people refuse to actually examine what is being said and just brushes it aside. Thats exactly what Apple's propaganda machine (read Steve Jobs) wants.

Sheep to the slaughter.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
My main concern about an Operating System in the "Clouds", if you will is that it seems to assume that you will always have an Internet Connection.

I will have to assume that at least a portion of the OS will be installed on the Tablet so it will be somewhat functional when your Internet Connection goes down.

Also, people just need to face the fact that a Corporation doesn't have "feelings". The only reason a Corporation exists is to make money for its workers and Shareholder and this "unfeeling" entity is going to do everything in its power whether that be closed-source Software, locking out Hardware Vendor and/or preventing users from doing things on their product to maximize profits.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3264255 said:
He is stripping away all the rights we have as consumers. If I own an iPhone, he decides what I can and cannot put on my iPhone. Like banning Google Voice, and tons of other apps because Apple decided they wanted that app and refuse to allow anyone to compete with them. That is monopolistic!

He tells me I cannot install OS X on my own computer. That I MUST buy his hardware or I cannot have it. Now, he is releasing the iPad, he and Macmillan have decided that the $9.99 price tag that Amazon sells their Macmillan eBooks for isn't enough money and decides that it should now be $14.99 and forces Amazon to raise their price. (which they fought) It's a freaking eBook. Once it comes out on paperback it will $7.99, but I'm going to pay $15 for it and there is nothing physical about it.

A term I hate more than anything (especially as an IT professional) is vendor lock-in. Maybe you don't understand the concept, but I do. In my business, I've experienced it 100 times and have never NOT gotten screwed by it. I haven't even started to read eBooks yet, and I'm already screwed by it.

You've just been screwed on the eBook subject and you have been screwed several times in all your Apple purchases whether you realize it or not. Soon, you will figure it out and when you do. I won't say anything other than to keep preaching my hate the way I do.

As egotistical as this may sounds, I feel I doing the public a service by trying to show them what is actually happening. It just seems like most people refuse to actually examine what is being said and just brushes it aside. Thats exactly what Apple's propaganda machine (read Steve Jobs) wants.

Sheep to the slaughter.

Well, I haven't been screwed on anything, really. I don't own any eBooks and I still read the old fashioned way. The MacPro I bought only serves my purposes and earns me a living, and I expect nothing more than that from it. It works great. The toys I don't buy. I have an iPod because my wife bought me one 3-4 years ago.

I can't use 3D Studio Max because Autodesk wants to dictate the kind of computer I use. Are you going to include them in your revolt? In another thread awhile ago, you touted Windows over Apple, because the limits of who writes software for Apple. You championed the practice you vilify Apple for.

Will they be included or is it okay for them to dictate which computer I use?
For all of these software vendors to exclude a valid product is okay, so when in response Apple decides to create it's own, it's evil??

You like to degrade an opposing opinion as blind, but believe it or not, I actually prefer the Apple computer over a Windows box, for a number of reasoned motives. Am I not allowed or will your revolt champion people like myself who prefer Apple and would like to use it unencumbered without the evil dictatorship of software vendors who fantasize that Apple doesn't exist?

Everything you own is proprietary, you just for some reason think the open architecture that one company - Microsoft - has followed and you've been steeped on should be the general practice. Your car is proprietary, all of your appliances and entertainment electronics. All proprietary. Are they diabolical? No they have a standard that they want to be identified with their products.

All businesses protect their assets and vie for greater control of their products, Apple is no different.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
nyc;3264255 said:

Sheep to the slaughter.

Did he force you to buy an iPhone and then not allow you to do what you want with it? No he just made the best phone there is, and then locked it down so crappy apps cannot run rampant on it.

Is he forcing people to read eBooks on iPads, no there is still the kindle, the Soiny and about 20 other variants out there. Since when has a company been forced to raise their prices in response to another company? If anything they benefit from the strong selling point of cheaper content.

Is he forcing you to use Mac OS over Windows or one of the 1000 variants of Linux? All of which are free? No, he is building the best OS for their hardware, and notice that it does not have the driver issues Windows does...

I agree that you have the right to piss and moan about any company to your hearts content, but to compare yourselves to our founding fathers is let's just say... ridiculous.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
vta;3264136 said:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3264279 said:
Well, I haven't been screwed on anything, really. I don't own any eBooks and I still read the old fashioned way. The MacPro I bought only serves my purposes and earns me a living, and I expect nothing more than that from it. It works great. The toys I don't buy. I have an iPod because my wife bought me one 3-4 years ago.
Just because you haven't used it doesn't mean you can't be screwed by it. If I sold you a car that should have snow tires and a towing package on it, but didn't give it to you. Even though you live in Texas were it doesn't snow and don't tow anything, you still got screwed.

vta;3264279 said:
I can't use 3D Studio Max because Autodesk wants to dictate the kind of computer I use. Are you going to include them in your revolt? In another thread awhile ago, you touted Windows over Apple, because the limits of who writes software for Apple. You championed the practice you vilify Apple for.
Apple says "No, you cannot because I said so.". Audodesk says, get enough people to ask for it on Apple, and I will port it to Apple. It cost huge sums of money to port 3D Studio Max to a different OS. It cost Apple nothing to allow Google's Voice app to run. You point was no merit whatsoever. Besides, guess what. There is a product for Linux called Wine. You can run 3D Studio Max in Linux using Wine. Guess what. Audodesk won't complain about it. :rolleyes:

vta;3264279 said:
You like to degrade an opposing opinion as blind, but believe it or not, I actually prefer the Apple computer over a Windows box, for a number of reasoned motives. Am I not allowed or will your revolt champion people like myself who prefer Apple and would like to use it unencumbered without the evil dictatorship of software vendors who fantasize that Apple doesn't exist?
I don't hate OSX, I think it's pretty cool. I don't even hate the iPhone. I don't hate Apple or it's products. What I hate is what Steve Jobs is doing with them! You keep missing the ****ing point! :banghead:

vta;3264279 said:
Everything you own is proprietary, you just for some reason think the open architecture that one company - Microsoft - has followed and you've been steeped on should be the general practice. Your car is proprietary, all of your appliances and entertainment electronics. All proprietary. Are they diabolical? No they have a standard that they want to be identified with their products.

You're either completely full of **** or just flat out naive. First off, I'm no fan of Microsoft. (if you're read my post, that should be clear)

As for my car, it is not proprietary. I can goto AutoZone and by replacement parts for it that aren't from the car maker. I have a choice of what brand parts I put in my car.

My computer at home. It has an Nividia video card, Western Digitial hard drives, LightOn DVD burner, Asus motherboard, Cruicial memory, Microsoft optical mouse, Logictech keyboard and a Samsung monitor. Every single item I choose to install cause I had the choice. Guess what, I can install Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris, DOS, and a whole host of other operating systems. Guess what I'm not allowed to run on it? Yep, OS X. Why? Cause Steve Jobs didn't sell me that hardware.

Sorry vta, you lose.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care for Apple or Jobs but I really think you need to see an Ishrink and get some Ivalium.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
nyc;3264183 said:
it's not Apple hate, it's Steve Jobs hate.

steve_jobs.jpg

...We are one in the same. By the way...Get an iPhone...you'll love it!

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3264325 said:
Just because you haven't used it doesn't mean you can't be screwed by it. If I sold you a car that should have snow tires and a towing package on it, but didn't give it to you. Even though you live in Texas were it doesn't snow and don't tow anything, you still got screwed.

This makes absolutely no sense. Maybe you're using a bad analogy, but it's basically senseless.

nyc;3264325 said:
Apple says "No, you cannot because I said so.". Audodesk says, get enough people to ask for it on Apple, and I will port it to Apple. It cost huge sums of money to port 3D Studio Max to a different OS. It cost Apple nothing to allow Google's Voice app to run. You point was no merit whatsoever. Besides, guess what. There is a product for Linux called Wine. You can run 3D Studio Max in Linux using Wine. Guess what. Audodesk won't complain about it. :rolleyes:

I'm n the 3D business, I know the demand and there are plenty to offset any costs for coding for an OS. It's a bull**** excuse, along with all the other software that doesn't happen for Apple, until Apple made it possible to run Windows on it's machines. I don't need Wine, I'll use my Apple to run Windows if I ever want to. But I won't.

nyc;3264325 said:
I don't hate OSX, I think it's pretty cool. I don't even hate the iPhone. I don't hate Apple or it's products. What I hate is what Steve Jobs is doing with them! You keep missing the ****ing point! :banghead:

I'm not missing the point, you're just trying to shift the point as usual. I directly addressed the practices of Jobs/Apple and they are in no way any worse than that of any large corporation. They're not doing anything that others do not do.

nyc;3264325 said:
You're either completely full of **** or just flat out naive. First off, I'm no fan of Microsoft. (if you're read my post, that should be clear)

As for my car, it is not proprietary. I can goto AutoZone and by replacement parts for it that aren't from the car maker. I have a choice of what brand parts I put in my car.

That's lame. It's like saying because I can buy Logitech peripherals or different brands of CD/DVD drives or video cards, RAM, etc my computer is not proprietary. Try this, slap a BMW engine into a chevy and see how well that works. Hell even tires are not universal, when are going to get this?

nyc;3264325 said:
My computer at home. It has an Nividia video card, Western Digitial hard drives, LightOn DVD burner, Asus motherboard, Cruicial memory, Microsoft optical mouse, Logictech keyboard and a Samsung monitor. Every single item I choose to install cause I had the choice. Guess what, I can install Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris, DOS, and a whole host of other operating systems. Guess what I'm not allowed to run on it? Yep, OS X. Why? Cause Steve Jobs didn't sell me that hardware.

Sorry vta, you lose.

:lmao2:

You just named a bunch of products I have.
2 WD Raptor HD's.
NVidia card.
Logitech mouse.
Samsung monitor
I bought my RAM from Newegg, so I guess you got me there...
But I did choose these products of my own free will.

Oh and guess what, I can install all of those OS's too, including Mac OSX.

Are you sure I'm the one who's losing? Maybe you should temper your hate and you'll see you can do a lot with an Apple computer.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I am so lost. I can't decipher the thread title from the article and the responses and figure out what in the blue hell is going on.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3264339 said:
I don't care for Apple or Jobs but I really think you need to see an Ishrink and get some Ivalium.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
nyc;3264144 said:

:laugh1:
:lmao2:
:lmao:

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Hostile;3264347 said:
I am so lost. I can't decipher the thread title from the article and the responses and figure out what in the blue hell is going on.

Apple...OK.

Steve Jobs....Very Bad.

Per nyc

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Hostile;3264347 said:

Ha, I have no idea what the thread title means either.

No nose?