Apple or Android and why???

cml750

Reaction score
Always been a mac guy, but iOS is making that harder and harder for me. I hate direction the UI tweaks have taken it (text buttons. Hard to reach for a right handed person, requiring two hands to use the phone. Pastels. Ugh). I'm looking at picking up an Adroid phone (Moto X) just to play with for a while to see which I might hate the least.

I do not have much experience with Macs but have not cared for them when I did. It is probably more of an experience thing than anything. I am VERY good with Windows machines although I detest Windows 8. I am patiently waiting for Windows 10 to give it a shot.

BTW- it is probably the same experience factor that makes me like Android better.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Apple because it just works. With Android, some things do and some things don't. Android is more like windows where you have to reboot all the time.

The issue with the androids is less the OS but more about the crap open source apps that are out there. Some of the apps are just junk.

cml750

Reaction score
The issue with the androids is less the OS but more about the crap open source apps that are out there. Some of the apps are just junk.

That is why I always read the reviews before downloading and trying an app.It helps weed out the bad ones.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Very True...
I'm very much still a flip phone fan.... but I'm old school I don't very much like having a personal cpu on my hip...
although I do have an old ipnone if necessary.

I miss my flip phone and would rather just carry one, but unfortunately I need some of the functionality provided by smart phones.

jrumann59

Reaction score
That is why I always read the reviews before downloading and trying an app.It helps weed out the bad ones.

It helps but many apps worked but when an update was pushed out it caused issues and a lot of these apps people put out there hoping to hit the app lottery from some software developer. For every Uber, there are thousands of failed apps that were similar.

EST_1986

Reaction score
I had a Razr HD before the Galaxy S4. I loved that phone until it got ran over by a dang car (ugh long story). How dare Motorola make a phone that can't take a Ford Expedition rolling over it.;)

I loved the Razr and had one until the 2nd iPhone and been on an iPhone since then. But the razr was the greatest phone ever.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I agree that Samsung seems to be copying Apple and are in the process of making their wonderful Galaxy phones just like the Apple products I do not care for.. I have a Galaxy S4 right now which is a little behind but what the heck, my job gives it to me for free and I can use it all I want for personal use. Since I am stuck with what my job gives me(or just too cheap to pay for anther phone for myself), I will stick with what is free. I kind of hope I get a different type of Android phone that has the features I desire like changeable battery, SD card, etc... when it is time for my next upgrade.

This is where I disagree. Completely.

Copying. Really it's not. There are only so many ways to do "things" especially on a phone that is a candy bar shape. Only so many ways to navigate.

I laugh when people say "oh they copied so and so" in music. Everybody copies. There's only so much to change.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Android.

Although all android don't have a couple of the things I will list that I like over apple...

Removable Battery. This will come in handy later when I want to replace a battery for an older phone as I normally keep my older phones as backups even if just for the music.

Micro SD Cards aka expandable storage. Much Much cheaper to get a lot of extra room on an SD Card than paying ridiculous upgrade charges for larger spaces on phones out of the box. I also liked that my note 4 came with a base 32 gb storage vs my wife's Iphone 6+ with a base of 16.

The back button....it is a pain in the butt when I have to use the wife's iphone or her mothers when working on them. No back button argggg...you don't know how much I got used to using it on my phone.

Multiclear - When I click on my Tasks button on my android phone and it brings up all the apps running, I can clear all of them at once. I can do the same if I pull my screen down to my notifications area and I can clear all of my notifications at one time by hitting on button. IIRC I have to do those individually on the Iphone (unless it has changed) and with the way I have what I would call OCD when it comes to some things and those are one of them...I can't stand to see a phone with huge amounts of notifications that have not been cleaned off, Can't stand to see an inbox in someone's email program with the little numbers showing how many messages have not been read, notices and alert numbers on apps wear me out as well...just some quirk I have. So I like that the android lets me go in those areas real click and clean multiple ones off by hitting one button.

I can change the appearance of my icons with different icon packs. Can do the same with different packs for the look of my Clock and weather widgits on my phone as well.

Zedge - If I want a new ring tone or when I get board and just look for different ringtones and notifications tones, I can load up Zedge app, search and find ones I want and download them to my phone and set them. On the iphone now I have to get on the zedge app, it downloads the ones I want to my itunes account, I have to hook up my phone to the computer and connect it to Itunes and sync the ringtones to my phone...Sure it says it is a security measure but I have used zedge for years without issue and using it on iphone now is just a hassle.

New OS software delivery - this is both a good and bad thing with android compared to IOS. The bad is that Android users typically have to wait until not only their phone maker makes their updates or additions to the new OS but they also have to wait until the phone carrier to make their addtions or updates. So I have to wait for google to make the new IOS but I also have to wait for AT&T AND Samsung to do what they have to do before i get it. So other android phones might get the new OS months before I do or vice versa. IOS goes out pretty much at one time because they only deal of the iphone and not different makers and they go out at the same time for the different carriers. HOWEVER sometimes it is a good thing to wait instead of everybody getting at once as we saw some of the major troubles IOS had with that last big IOS upgrade and a few updates after. It screwed up some peoples abilities to do things and they basically had to fix the fixes to get them fixed. Andriod can have some of that but they are normally minor bugs that get fixed because most of the time most of the bugs have been fixed before they ever get to my phone.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apple/iPhone.

I don't know. My wife has always picked them for us. I had a Razr years ago (is that Android?). She has been getting us iPhone for the last five years or so. It makes and receives calls. I do enjoy loading music on it though.

On a personal note, I am constantly bewildered by the cellphone craze. They have been around for what? 20 years? I still remember seeing pay phones scattered all over the place and rotary phones.

My wife cannot live without her cellphone. I'm only three years older than her. Sometimes I leave my cell at home, office, etc. She makes it seem like I did something horrible. I tell her, "It's only a phone. It's like you don't remember how things were before they came out." If looks could kill...

Cellphones are the electronic equivalent of crack cocaine addiction for some people. Doesn't matter what brand they are or what type of bells and whistles come with them. They are just another generation of the telephone. For some reason, more and more people find them indispensible. They aren't.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Android.

Although all android don't have a couple of the things I will list that I like over apple...

You just saved me a lot of typing. This pretty much states my thoughts, even the message thing. I will admit there were a few thing about the IPhone I did like. There are more things about Android that I prefer.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I just got my first IPhone, a 6. I wanted the 6 Plus but just too big and all they had was gold. I dont want a gold color phone.

Had an android before and had it for years. Like BP said I miss the back button. But I find the IPhone getting easier to use as I learn it. The Facetime option is pretty neat.

I have designers text me client contact's and often times they would not download to my Android - apparently a common problem. So I got the IPhone to eliminate that issue.

So far the IPhone has been an upgrade over my old Android. No regrets yet. But Im not a phone geek.

cml750

Reaction score
This is where I disagree. Completely.

Copying. Really it's not. There are only so many ways to do "things" especially on a phone that is a candy bar shape. Only so many ways to navigate.

I laugh when people say "oh they copied so and so" in music. Everybody copies. There's only so much to change.

Maybe I should put it like this, a lot of people prefer Android phones because, in most cases, they can change the battery and add SD card storage easily. That is the reason they choose an Android. Samsung has taken that choice away with their new phones. In that regard they made their phones more like Apple's. Where they trying to "copy" Apple??? I doubt it, so you are technically correct but they did make their phones more Apple like in that regard. In fact I hope my employer chooses a different type of Android phone next time I get an upgrade but I will take what they give me since they pay for it.

cml750

Reaction score
I just got my first IPhone, a 6. I wanted the 6 Plus but just too big and all they had was gold. I dont want a gold color phone.

Had an android before and had it for years. Like BP said I miss the back button. But I find the IPhone getting easier to use as I learn it. The Facetime option is pretty neat.

I have designers text me client contact's and often times they would not download to my Android - apparently a common problem. So I got the IPhone to eliminate that issue.

So far the IPhone has been an upgrade over my old Android. No regrets yet. But Im not a phone geek.

If I ever did switch to Apple, I am glad to see they finally caught up in screen sizes. Anytime I have worked on my wife or daughter's I-Phones, the small screen drove me crazy. My daughter has an upgrade soon so I will probably get a chance to see the I-Phone 6 then for the first time.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
If I ever did switch to Apple, I am glad to see they finally caught up in screen sizes. Anytime I have worked on my wife or daughter's I-Phones, the small screen drove me crazy. My daughter has an upgrade soon so I will probably get a chance to see the I-Phone 6 then for the first time.

I really wanted the 6 Plus for the bigger screen, but it just seemed too big and I felt I would get tired of the big clunky phone.

Shunpike

Reaction score
I am an Apple guy. Never used Android. Not because Android is bad or anything. It is just how it happened. When me and my wife were getting first Smartphones a few years ago, my wife said she wanted iPhone and I said I wanted a Samsung. Went to ATT to pick up our phones. They had a special on iPhones and the sales guy said if we both had the same phone it would be easier to stay connected etc. I said OK give me an iPhone as well. Since then I am using Apple and don't have any major complaints. Maybe battery life could be better and maybe the storage could be better. But these aren't enough for me to leave Apple ecosystem behind and learn a new ecosystem. I am a lazy guy. I was a Nokia guy before smartphones and I used Nokia's for years and now I am an iPhone guy and I will use iPhones for years.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The only real down side with iphones are their flagship phone is usally a generation or more behind, they have gotten better. But their was time where they rode a model into the ground. IIRC it wasn't until the Siri phones that they had a true HD display. Not that it really maters much on small phone like the iphone 3 and 4. But their processors and memory lagged behind same with base storage.