Twitter: Archer: Cowboys need Trader Jerry to reappear

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think 10 rookies makes this team....if personally rather have 6 that are at or near starters and use the rest to move up.

remember, we will also have a few undrafted fas too so 10 just seems too high

Quality over quantity

If we weren't managed by complete morons, you would have a point. Jerry sucks at trading and always gets the short end of the stick. Even when something does work out like the trade back for Freddie, we don't hold out for fair compensation.

Creeper

Reaction score
I see your point. But this is assuming if we don't land a CB in the first round then we are not making any other moves to strengthen this position.

Richard Sherman, Casey Heyward and about 5 other vets are still unsigned. A case can be made that any of these vets would offer more than a rookie CB would this season.

Point is we have more ways to fill defensive needs than just the first 2 rounds of this draft.

I completely agree. There are 3 ways to acquire players - draft (and undrafted free agents), free agency, and trades. The Cowboys have made a few trades, and free agency. The Cowboy us have made a few trades here and there, but they limit their participation in free agency. The do not sign the top tier players no matter how big the need. They prefer to sign multiple JAGs hoping some work out. I like to use the McKenzie Bernadeau - Nate Livings example. They needed help on the OL and signed two OGs for about $6 million. They could have signed Ben Grubbs, an all pro OG who signed with the Saints for $6.6 million. Grubbs made all-pro for the Saints, but he was a very good OG for them for 3 years. Bernadeau and Livings never played well and didn't last. Both had injuries which is why they were cheap to begin with. To me, not using free agency to fill weaknesses in the roster with top talents is like being a 1 legged guy in an ***-kicking contest.

Jipper

Reaction score
Yeah I know. I was referencing our infamous 2009 draft.

ha funny....

we didn't have a pick that year until the 3rd round since we traded both the 1 and 2.....if we ended up with 4-6 picks in the first 3 rounds this year I couldn't imagine a much more polarizing comparison.

I get your point on Jerry and there is justification for your reasoning...however, i have to believe that this team still has the chance to make this one of the best drafts in a long time...as long as they can move up and use the picks wisely.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ha funny....

we didn't have a pick that year until the 3rd round since we traded both the 1 and 2.....if we ended up with 4-6 picks in the first 3 rounds this year I couldn't imagine a much more polarizing comparison.

I get your point on Jerry and there is justification for your reasoning...however, i have to believe that this team still has the chance to make this one of the best drafts in a long time...as long as they can move up and use the picks wisely.

Yeah, well we started the draft with a 2nd round pick and kept trading back accumulating more late round picks. It was a clinic on how not to run a draft.

You give Jerrah too much confidence. The man doesn't have relationships anymore around the league. He probably couldn't tell you the GM of Chicago Bears. So, there are only a small handful of teams that Jerry is even confident calling.

jnday

Reaction score
Yeah, well we started the draft with a 2nd round pick and kept trading back accumulating more late round picks. It was a clinic on how not to run a draft.

You give Jerrah too much confidence. The man doesn't have relationships anymore around the league. He probably couldn't tell you the GM of Chicago Bears. So, there are only a small handful of teams that Jerry is even confident calling.
That was the worst draft in Cowboy’s history in my opinion. The very ideal of thinking that the team was so talented that they didn’t even attempt to draft future starters, but chose to draft backups and special team’s players, made that draft totally useless. They would have done better to packaging all of the picks together and try to trade up so that they could have drafted one decent player. It was really pathetic.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was the worst draft in Cowboy’s history in my opinion. The very ideal of thinking that the team was so talented that they didn’t even attempt to draft future starters, but chose to draft backups and special team’s players, made that draft totally useless. They would have done better to packaging all of the picks together and try to trade up so that they could have drafted one decent player. It was really pathetic.

Well, we were all caught up in the hoopla around the Joe Decamilis hire. Jerry thought he had secured the bottom of the roster for 4 years after that draft. Unfortunately, 2009 wasn't Jerry's only big fail on draft days. He had some stinkers after Jimmy left. 1995-1998 drafts pretty much killed the dynasty.

DRella

Reaction score
The way I see it. The Cowboys must try to capture 3 defensive starters this year in the draft. To do this they need 3 top 50 picks. Preferably I would want 2 in the top 30. So how is this done?

Make a trade out of 10 to move down to the 12 to 16 range. Acquire another 2nd in this draft plus a 4th rounder this draft to do so. With this you now have 2 second round picks plus 3 4th round picks this year.

Draft best available defensive player with 1st round pick.

Trade back into the 1st round again (23-30) range. Give up your second rounder, a 3rd rounder and 7th rounder to move up. Draft again best defensive player.

2nd round draft best defensive player.

After that we still have a 1 third round pick, 2 4th round, 1 5th round, and 2 6th round picks.

I would be totally ok using 4th, 5th and 6th round picks in trades from there on out to move up or down (accumulate more picks for next year, not this).

The goal should be to have 3 defensive starters this year preferably (CB, LB, and DL)

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way I see it. The Cowboys must try to capture 3 defensive starters this year in the draft. To do this they need 3 top 50 picks. Preferably I would want 2 in the top 30. So how is this done?

Make a trade out of 10 to move down to the 12 to 16 range. Acquire another 2nd in this draft plus a 4th rounder this draft to do so. With this you now have 2 second round picks plus 3 4th round picks this year.

Trade back into the 1st round again (23-30) range. Give up your second rounder, a 3rd rounder and 7th rounder to move up. Draft again best defensive player.

After that we still have a 1 third round pick, 2 4th round, 1 5th round, and 2 6th round picks.

I would be totally ok using 4th, 5th and 6th round picks in trades from there on out to move up or down (accumulate more picks for next year, not this).

The goal should be to have 3 defensive starters this year preferably (CB, LB, and DL)

If Justin Fields is on the board at 10, the phone lines will be ringing.

DRella

Reaction score
If Justin Fields is on the board at 10, the phone lines will be ringing.

I believe if a top 5 QB or Pitts slides down to 10 the phone will start to ring off the hook. And it will become a trickle down effect where the Cowboys will be dealing all day. With 10 picks already in their possession, trading the 1st will accumulate more which will give them more ammunition to move where they wish in this draft.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
If Pitts is truly that special generational player. Go get him. Going to have to go past the Dolphins.

LittleD

Reaction score

Do more reading and research. Jerry wants Pitts and offense which scores 40 burgers each game. Offense sells patrons and network eyeballs. Defense not so much. NFL is a business and Jerry likes money.

kevm3

Reaction score
No thanks to trading back. I'd prefer they just stay pat and take the best talent on the board. Why trade for more 2nd or 3rd rounders when we rarely do anything with those picks? Our best picks have typically come from the first round and staying where we are

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe if a top 5 QB or Pitts slides down to 10 the phone will start to ring off the hook. And it will become a trickle down effect where the Cowboys will be dealing all day. With 10 picks already in their possession, trading the 1st will accumulate more which will give them more ammunition to move where they wish in this draft.

I'd like to see it. We haven't moved around the draft much in many years and I wonder if our FO has the expertise to do it.

kevm3

Reaction score
The problem we have is that we are expecting to fill our teams with starters from the draft when the reality is that you need to do that with free agency. The real issue is that we're hardly finding any free agents that actually start and stay on the team. I'd much rather take the 'generational talent' than trading back and getting more mediocre picks

Plankton

Reaction score
And given your love for and prioritizing of the CB position, I believe you should be the emcee.

giphy.gif

DRella

Reaction score
Do more reading and research. Jerry wants Pitts and offense which scores 40 burgers each game. Offense sells patrons and network eyeballs. Defense not so much. NFL is a business and Jerry likes money.

Offense may sell patrons and network eyeballs, but I believe the Cowboys are past that. They get games nationally televised and full stadiums because they are the Cowboys. Offense doesnt win you the ultimate prize, defense does. If the Jones's want to make money there is no other prize then the Super Bowl that will make them a boatload of it.

If trading back allows you to solidify the defense they should be all over it considering their offense is already a top 3 in the NFL anyways. Imagine if the Cowboys had a top 3 offense and top 15 defense? Where would that put this team?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
IMO, the best bang for the buck in this draft is from 15 to 75 or so, particularly on defense. They already have two picks in that range. It would be interesting to see them trade down from 10 and still get a top CB. Then use whatever else they can get to trade up or around and try to get 5 players in that 15 to 75 range.

If Jerry walks out of this draft with Barmore, Surtain and 3 other 2nd/3rd round defensive players, I think it would be a homerun. As Archer is getting to, screw the 6th rounders.