Archer: Insiders not high on Cowboys' work so far

visionary

Reaction score
I actually really like what we have done so far. I think Garretts playbook is going to be modified and/or gone all together. We changed our offensive play caller. We changed our defensive coordinator. We have multpile live young athletic bodies along the DL that will be part of a rotation (which is NECESSARY for the defense we want to run)

We moved on from some aging vets whose productivity was not nearly worth their price tag

We picked up a QB that was a 1st rounder 2 years ago....to groom as a backup

We played a lot of young guys on defense last year that were thrown into a touogh situation and had to learn on the fly...there is a good chance some of them will stick

We get Lee and Claiborne back from injuries

Our young guys on the OL (Smith, Leary, Fredercik) got a ton of game experience and suited up every week

There is only so much you can do in a offseason when you finish 8-8 3 straight years and are WAY over the cap. As frustrating as this team has been....we played the last game of the season 3 straight years with a "win and you are in" scenario. As much as Jerry will not admit it...we have been rebuilding...so hopefully the young guys are ready to take the next step. I personally think we did not get worse. And we are fixing our cap

The only thing I would like to see this team do is add a veteran reliable WR. And a reliable RB to compliment Murray. I love the talent of Dez and Terrance...but Dez is still growing into a student of the game....and Terrance is going into his 2nd year. With a veteran QB like Romo...I would love to pair him with a veteran WR....in an effort to maximize what I see is a 2 year window for Romo to make a deep playoff run.

agree with you mostly but it is extremely important for the team to draft smart

the DL and safety positions need a LOT of work
LB may also be a need
Still need at least one good OL from the draft (not a throw away 7th rd pick)

a lot of work still to be done that can be done if we make good decisions

starfrombirth

Reaction score
No. I wouldn't expect anyone to get 20 sacks in a season but there's a good chance Ware will get more sacks next year than Jeremy Mincey gets in his Cowboys career.

That's really apples and oranges isn't it? We couldn't afford to keep him, at least not keep him and still improve our situation going forward. The improvement process had to start somewhere. Unfortunately it really started with Ware and to some extent Hatcher. If we had somehow, someway kept them those same people would have ridiculed Jerry and the cowboys for not doing something about an aging dline with declining players. Just like Hostile said... it's a lose lose situation with some people.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I appreciate the fact that they're showing financial restraint.

What I can't yet tell is if they're doing it because they've learned and have a true plan, or if they're just stuck doing it because messed up the cap to this point.

Either way, I'm glad to see it.

Now I just hope for a home run of a draft, specifically upgrading the trenches on both sides of the ball.

morasp

Reaction score
They have a point if we get to the season opener and haven't addressed our deficiencies. It's too soon to judge though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's really apples and oranges isn't it? We couldn't afford to keep him, at least not keep him and still improve our situation going forward. The improvement process had to start somewhere. Unfortunately it really started with Ware and to some extent Hatcher. If we had somehow, someway kept them those same people would have ridiculed Jerry and the cowboys for not doing something about an aging dline with declining players. Just like Hostile said... it's a lose lose situation with some people.

And, conversely, it's a win-win situation with others as well.

Whatever the Cowboys do is great, whatever they don't do is also great.

If they had signed Jared Allen, awesome! If they didn't, he's an old, declining player and the Bears overpaid.

Two sides to that coin.

RS12

Reaction score
Insiders not high on Cowboys' work so far

Obviously they are not on the Cowboy payroll. Not signing guys on the wrong side of 30 to bad contacts is 100% the right move. Too bad it only took two and a half decades for this stunning revelation.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Why would you grade an off-season before the draft and with free agency only half over?

Oh, yea, for page reads in a down time not realistic or pertinent football discussion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

starfrombirth

Reaction score
And, conversely, it's a win-win situation with others as well.

Whatever the Cowboys do is great, whatever they don't do is also great.

If they had signed Jared Allen, awesome! If they didn't, he's an old, declining player and the Bears overpaid.

Two sides to that coin.

That may be true but the vast majority of fans can differentiate between positive and negative moves made by the team. I know that I'm not the only one that can say we have made positive moves this offseason while regretting the management that made us get rid of an icon like Ware and another productive piece like Hatcher. I have a question tho, in regards to the moves we made. . . is there any team in the NFL that has 19 million / yr tied up in two over 30 players and further, 1 of them coming off two injury riddled declining years? If someone can tell me where to look, I will go do the research but I bet you there isn't a single one yet so many want to criticize the Cowboys front office for not doing just exactly that.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would you grade an off-season before the draft and with free agency only half over?
It's all about instant gratification these days. You read in here we have xyz as a starting DL next year and we are going to be much worse blah blah blah. 10 minutes later we sign Melton and suddenly everything has changed. I've said it a million times already this month - it's only March.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That may be true but the vast majority of fans can differentiate between positive and negative moves made by the team. I know that I'm not the only one that can say we have made positive moves this offseason while regretting the management that made us get rid of an icon like Ware and another productive piece like Hatcher. I have a question tho, in regards to the moves we made. . . is there any team in the NFL that has 19 million / yr tied up in two over 30 players and further, 1 of them coming off two injury riddled declining years? If someone can tell me where to look, I will go do the research but I bet you there isn't a single one yet so many want to criticize the Cowboys front office for not doing just exactly that.

Positive and negative is largely subjective.

One fan's opinion might say it's positive, while another think it's negative.

No absolutely right or wrong answer, but more perspective.

I'll reiterate my feelings that I think they're doing more right than wrong thus far, given the circumstances.

My question is are they doing it because they want to, or because they have to?

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Insiders not high on Cowboys' work so far
March, 27, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The guys over on ESPN Insiders are not fans
in.gif
of what the Dallas Cowboys have -- or have not -- done in free agency so far this offseason, giving them a D grade.

dal.gif
The only team with a worse grade is the Oakland Raiders, who earned an F.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4726164/insiders-not-high-on-cowboys-work-so-far

Then I know we are on the right track. I give them a D grade at best and an F at worst.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Positive and negative is largely subjective.

One fan's opinion might say it's positive, while another think it's negative.

No absolutely right or wrong answer, but more perspective.

I'll reiterate my feelings that I think they're doing more right than wrong thus far, given the circumstances.

My question is are they doing it because they want to, or because they have to?

I believe it's a little of both. I'm firmly convinced Jerry would've loved to keep Ware but he knew that he couldn't meet Ware's obligation and still be financially sound going forward. For Hatcher he was meh but I believe letting Ware go made him cry.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
"To me, they chose not to. They chose to get out of the game where they pushed more money into the future. They chose to not pay thirtysomethings large amounts of cash.

So what I wonder is if the Cowboys did those things with Ware and Hatcher or signed a Peppers or an Allen, wouldn’t the argument have been the Cowboys are doing the same old thing?"

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4726164/insiders-not-high-on-cowboys-work-so-far

And the answerer is yep

They could have resigned Ware and Hatcher, but how do you cut an aging HOF fan favorite and save face?

Pretend like you had to do it. Your exactly right they CHOSE.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
Archer reports what they say--I don't care what they say; we have done exactly what we needed to do. Every team takes a different test in the off-season; we can't grade them with the same answer key. We did not sign any too-expensive old guys and got rid of three, I give us an A.. Maybe we failed the course before, but this year we pass.